OT: HFNYR OT Thread XIII: HF Server Pilgrimage

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcdoughnut

Jan 22, 2017
New York
My favorite movie is definitely Good Will Hunting. There's just something so incredibly powerful about it. Shawshank is great, too.

As far as TV series, I'm a big fan of Criminal Minds and House MD. Plan on starting Stranger Things as well. First 4 seasons of Dexter are awesome, but it goes downhill after that so I stopped watching.

RempireStateBuilding

Dec 13, 2009
NY
Someone list me the best horror movies and series on Netflix. Go. I am running out of familiar options.

Oldboy, Pontypool, Odd Thomas, Blair Witch Project, The Babadook, 13 Assassins, The Host, Would You Rather, It Follows (although I thought this movie was boring as all hell, everyone else in the world seems to think it's some genius masterpiece), Human Centipede, V/H/S (1, 2, and 3 if they're all still on there), Frailty, Thinner, Hellraiser (1-3 are the only ones worth watching, but I think up to 6 or 7 are on there too), The Invasion, Midnight Meat Train, Nightmare on Elm Street..I never watched it and I don't know if you want to deal with subtitles, but I heard The Wailing was good. Also apparently I Am the Pretty Thing That Lives in the House is good, too. Another one I haven't seen, but I liked another movie the director Ti West made (The Innkeepers) is The Sacrament, might be worth checking out. Hush sounded really intriguing.

RempireStateBuilding

Dec 13, 2009
NY
Netflix removed every Takashi Miike film aside from Oldboy. >.> If you're bored and have a way to check out non-Netflix movies, just go through his library of films. Audition was crazy, he did a short for one of the Three Extremes movies that was great (all of the shorts in the movie are really good; Dumplings also got made in to a full movie), Ichi the Killer was off the damn wall, and Imprint was one of my favorites of his. Also Park Chan-wook is another incredible director with some great films to his name. The Vengeance trilogy is really good. He's also the director of Oldboy (which is part of that trilogy). I wasn't a huge fan of Snowpiercer, but it has some good actors (Song Kang-ho from the Vengeance trilogy and The Host, and Tilda Swinton) that made it entertaining for me to watch.

Invisible Secret was on Netflix, but they removed it. :( Watched that flick on a whim one night and fell in love. Some other awesome non-Netflix movies I'd highly recommend are A Tale of Two Sisters and Carved/The Slit-Mouthed Woman. Carved is beyond creepy, super unnerving and atmospheric. Kim Jee-woon, who directed Tale, also directed I Saw the Devil which was great. Battle Royale is what The Hunger Games wishes it was. If you like THG or the idea of it, or if you hated THG and wished it was better, Battle Royale completely blows it out of the water. There's a movie called Kwaidan from the '60s that is a little difficult to find, but seriously worth it if you come across it. Something like 3 or 4 short stories, really really good stuff. Marebito is a freaky supernatural movie, worth a watch if you come across it somewhere. I remember Apartment 1303 being a pretty good paranormal/ghost flick too.

Also if you want to check out a darker anime, I very highly suggest you watch Knights of Sidonia on Netflix. Big monsters and big robots, all in outer space. Attack on Titan is another darker anime, although not on Netflix, but one of the best shows I've ever watched. A population of people have been living inside a walled city to protect them from Titans, which are gigantic human-looking things that eat people for seemingly no reason and the show has revolved around an elite fighting squad tasked with protecting the city/gathering information about what they are. Second season recently started too.

I've been meaning to check out this movie called Memento Mori. It's part of a series of films under the Whispering Corridors name that seem to get a lot of positive reviews. Suicide Club and Noriko's Dinner Table have also been on my to-watch list for years now. Reading about it, Gozu sounds really good and I have to add that to my list.

Last edited:

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
Saw Ghost in the Shell at the movies. Was OK nothing special. Watched the anime on netflix. Should have skipped the movie.

RempireStateBuilding

Dec 13, 2009
NY
The Babadook ruined my life.

:laugh: Movies with evil/weird kids are the absolute worst. Sam Rockwell (from Choke, the new Poltergeist, Seven Psychopaths) was in a movie called Josuha a while back which was similar to the movie The Good Son and both of those made me HATE kids for a while. Basically about some kid who gets possessed or something and ends up ruining his dad's life. And the kid in Babadook was so irritating I was hoping he would get eaten.

I think the only scary movie revolving around kids that I really really liked was Mama, although I wasn't a fan of the ending.

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
LOL. It sounds like a Horror movie that did its job.:freddie:

I said I was going to watch it the other day, but never did. Your comment makes it sound like a freaky movie...I really need to watch it.
Yeah I made a reaction compilation all by myself without you. Left me hanging. :laugh:

Revel

Dark Sky Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2015
Dunning–Krugerville
Yeah I made a reaction compilation all by myself without you. Left me hanging. :laugh:

Sorry about that. :blush:

I didn't read any reviews about the movie so I have no clue what to expect really...but I'm 10 minutes in and already I'm not liking the little boy. The mother seems very sweet, but I have a bad feeling about this kid. He's got a "Damien" feel about him. I hope I'm wrong.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
The Leftovers tonight!

Bump to the first page.

I'm in TV heavens these days. Currently on favorites: Fargo, Better call Saul, The Americans, Billions, Homeland, The Leftovers, Veep and Silicon Valley.

Will check out The Son, Guerrilla and Into the Badlands (promos looked promising).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad