HF Wrestling Draft IX - Friday Apr 8th start - Discussion

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I just didn’t want to be the one people were waiting for in the end

mcfclee

Apr 1, 2022
I’m typing mine up as I post this. Terribly sorry I’ve been really unwell and useless at checking the board. I’m on it asap.

Reactions: Kaner9

HandsomeHollywood

Brooke Shields ain't got nothin'
Mar 20, 2017
First match-up is up, folks.

Let me know what you think about formatting. I've included additional spoiler tabs for ease of reading for the longer cards. Would anyone prefer I post them just as-is, without the spoiler tags I imposed myself.

HandsomeHollywood

Brooke Shields ain't got nothin'
Mar 20, 2017
Round 1 matchups fully posted. Please remember to not just vote in your own matchup.
Voting for yourself is in no way against the rules.

You guys had me busy this morning. More formatting and editing tricks than any year before since I've started running it. BruinDust's card clocked in at a whopping 22 pages. Which is fine by me.

Thanks to everyone for participating and your patience through all of this process. It was the biggest draft in a long time.

Happy voting and may you all be crushed beneath my oppressive boot.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I won't have time to look at the cards until later tonight but good work everyone for a relatively smooth draft. Looking forward to seeing what everyone came up with.

Reactions: Kaner9 and theedge9

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
The voting usually dies off pretty quickly, I wouldn't think there is much need for a very long window. When I read them later tonight I'll vote and comment.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Thanks to everyone for participating. Not participating made me itchy to do something, but it’s always fun to read what everyone puts together as there’s always something I would have never thought of. I think 90% of the matchups are really close in the first round which says a lot for this year’s draft. Nicely done everyone.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
I gotta say this... I hate when results are given. I look at these competitions as two shows that are airing on the same night and I pick the one that I would choose to go to or order on PPV. But a lot of the time (not always, but most) when I see results... not only is the mystery gone but also if I don't like the result, it's a huge negative for me.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I gotta say this... I hate when results are given. I look at these competitions as two shows that are airing on the same night and I pick the one that I would choose to go to or order on PPV. But a lot of the time (not always, but most) when I see results... not only is the mystery gone but also if I don't like the result, it's a huge negative for me.

I've read all the cards now, yes even all of Bruisdust's, and it's good stuff by and large. I do agree with Natey here though. I view it as two cards competing for my attention when I have to pick one. I'm interested in the matches and the build. If someone puts in the results or content of the match it doesn't really do much for me. I still read it though since effort was put into it, and there have been some good creative flourishes over the years, but I try to ignore it when making my decision.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
I’ll preface this for context by saying that I’ve always put in match results. That said I was probably not going to do that this year had I participated. Anyway, I don’t understand how a match result would bother anyone apart from not liking the actual result. That I can understand. To each their own though. For me I think it just offers many more opportunities to enhance a card and be creative.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
I’ll preface this for context by saying that I’ve always put in match results. That said I was probably not going to do that this year had I participated. Anyway, I don’t understand how a match result would bother anyone apart from not liking the actual result. That I can understand. To each their own though. For me I think it just offers many more opportunities to enhance a card and be creative.
For me it's simple... It feels like I've "already seen the show." So when I'm comparing it against a show without results, I'm instantly more intrigued by the show that's a mystery to me.

I'd love hearing people's results after the competition, but not when I'm judging cards.

Like I said, it doesn't automatically mean I won't vote for the card, but it does take the excitement away because it's like the show already happened.

Reactions: Kaner9 and theedge9

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Really wish I put in time to do a write up, honestly. Damn!

I want a graphic like yours next year. Two years of this draft that was by far the best graphic I've seen created. When I saw it I was like "&^%$ me" because it sells your card really well. Two extreme contrasts of how to present a card, your simple but slick presentation vs. my 20 page short story/novel.

My copy/past Excel spreadsheet card looks like dog poo in comparison. While I do think the devil is in the details of my card, I could of done something better to list out my matches, or even left it out entirely.

I'm done voting and providing some comments/feedback on my choices. Great, great job again by all parties involved. Best of luck to everyone in their match-ups.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
I think this year’s first round is the closest it’s ever been since I’ve been participating. Maybe the next round won‘t be as close, but just the draws this first round for me were almost all really close.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad