HF praises Chayka and sucks... Hate McPhee but he's killing it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Other teams fans usually say that Chayka is garbage, but i think you can't find too many Yotes fans who says that Chayka sucks.

I think that Arizona's future is brighter than it has ever been and Chayka has done good job.

Its pretty obvious that a lot of people here don't even know the job that Chayka has done and are just looking at where they finished in the standings.

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
They had a winning record with Raanta healthy.

A healthy Raanta helped them a lot, but just look at Chayka's moves. He got Keller 7th OA in 2016 which many thought was high but looks like a really good pick. He took Datsyuk's cap hit to move up and take Chychrun. He gave up another 7th OA for Stepan (a strong two-way center whose good for 55ish points and still in his 20s) and Raanta (a good back-up with starter upside that he locked up this season). Andersson is a good prospect, but I like Arizona's end of that trade a lot. The Demers trade was great, I think the Hjalmarsson trade gave them a better player and more long term cap flexibility and the Hanzal trade was insane.

Reactions: Peanut

Kent Nilsson

Imagine cringing at Brock Nelson like a moron
Jan 31, 2016
Chayka was a garbage hire from day one. Not to sound like the spokesman for the Old Boys Club, but running a stats website isn't really a qualification to be an NHL GM. Barroway, like a lot of people went a little crazy with the fancy stats. Other GMs probably don't respect Chayka because he didn't have to fight thru the trenches to get where he is.

Your post was ok until fight the trenches.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
A healthy Raanta helped them a lot, but just look at Chayka's moves. He got Keller 7th OA in 2016 which many thought was high but looks like a really good pick. He took Datsyuk's cap hit to move up and take Chychrun. He gave up another 7th OA for Stepan (a strong two-way center whose good for 55ish points and still in his 20s) and Raanta (a good back-up with starter upside that he locked up this season). Andersson is a good prospect, but I like Arizona's end of that trade a lot. The Demers trade was great, I think the Hjalmarsson trade gave them a better player and more long term cap flexibility and the Hanzal trade was insane.
Totally agree.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
Remember when Wayne Gretzky described the Devils as a "Mickey Mouse organization"?

Professional NHLers don't want gimmick general managers, and that's John Chayka.

Imagine playing for the Coyotes knowing your general manager is under 30. Imagine going home, looking yourself in the mirror, and saying, "yes, this organization knows what's best for itself"

what does age have to do with ability?

Lou Lam or Chayka? serious question

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
what does age have to do with ability?

Lou Lam or Chayka? serious question
One needed the other. Chayka should be looking at Toronto and trying to recruit some more veteran executives.

edit: clarification/broadening of point

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Why didn't Chayka fire Tocchet? Because that's one get out of jail free card used?

Tocchet sucks and this isn't his first failure as an NHL head coach, although he hasn't had goaltending anywhere he's worked outside of Raanta, but he still sucks. And I've been saying for years that they needed to can Tippett, but Tocchet was a mistake hiring.

I wonder if assistants from this year's cup finalists will be the most desirable hires for head coaching positions next year like Tocchet and Housley this past year? Todd Richards and whoever else.

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
I don’t know that the guy sucks, but he was hailed as a top 5 GM for a while there. Now it’s probably an over correction.

I can understand that, its just that considering how HFBoards grades GMs, to be a top-5 GM you usually just need a good situation and have good fortune and an opportunity to take advantage of.

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
Remember when Wayne Gretzky described the Devils as a "Mickey Mouse organization"?

Professional NHLers don't want gimmick general managers, and that's John Chayka.

Imagine playing for the Coyotes knowing your general manager is under 30. Imagine going home, looking yourself in the mirror, and saying, "yes, this organization knows what's best for itself"

He's the same age Epstein was when the Red Sox hired him as GM. That was an awful decision for them I guess.

Age isn't a qualifier or disqualifier for GM position.

And IF Arizona was a "Mickey Mouse organization", it'd probably have to do with the fact that the league owned them for a while and they still have to pay really close attention to their expenses. And Chayka is still doing a pretty decent job when he consider the mess he inherited.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
He's the same age Epstein was when the Red Sox hired him as GM. That was an awful decision for them I guess.

Age isn't a qualifier or disqualifier for GM position.

And IF Arizona was a "Mickey Mouse organization", it'd probably have to do with the fact that the league owned them for a while and they still have to pay really close attention to their expenses. And Chayka is still doing a pretty decent job when he consider the mess he inherited.

Epstein at least had about 8 years of front office experience as well as a law school degree which helped him understand contract language.

One needed the other. Chayka should be looking at Toronto and trying to recruit some more veteran executives.

edit: clarification/broadening of point

He catches me as the type that wouldn't want say, a Mark Hunter/smarter/more experienced person around.

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
Epstein at least had about 8 years of front office experience as well as a law school degree which helped him understand contract language.

How many GMs do you really think understand the contract language? And lets not pretend Chayka didn't pay his dues to get to where he is, he created contacts with guys like Brisson and served as an AGM before being promoted.

He catches me as the type that wouldn't want say, a Mark Hunter/smarter/more experienced person around.

Considering it sounds like Dubas or Hunter may leave if the other gets the GM position in Toronto, I'm not sure what this means. And lets be realisitc, the Coyotes can't afford ATM to pay what it would take to get a "Mark Hunter" type.

varano

Jun 27, 2013
How many GMs do you really think understand the contract language? And lets not pretend Chayka didn't pay his dues to get to where he is, he created contacts with guys like Brisson and served as an AGM before being promoted.

Considering it sounds like Dubas or Hunter may leave if the other gets the GM position in Toronto, I'm not sure what this means. And lets be realisitc, the Coyotes can't afford ATM to pay what it would take to get a "Mark Hunter" type.
Which is why they have a Chayka type instead. Stop pumping his tires

varano

Jun 27, 2013
Why didn't Chayka fire Tocchet? Because that's one get out of jail free card used?

Tocchet sucks and this isn't his first failure as an NHL head coach, although he hasn't had goaltending anywhere he's worked outside of Raanta, but he still sucks. And I've been saying for years that they needed to can Tippett, but Tocchet was a mistake hiring.

I wonder if assistants from this year's cup finalists will be the most desirable hires for head coaching positions next year like Tocchet and Housley this past year? Todd Richards and whoever else.
Anyone that went to arizona for a coaching gig had to go with understanding that they would never coach again. How many coaches want that fate?

Reactions: Voight

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
Which is why they have a Chayka type instead. Stop pumping his tires

I'm not pumping his tires, I'm pointing out that being young isn't an automatic reason someone is a bad GM and that Arizona can't afford to carry assistant GMs with expensive salaries the way Toronto can.

Tonka

OFFSIDE
Apr 8, 2007
I never hated McPhee, have people seen the players he drafts? He consistently hits his top picks (no not just Ovi and Backstrom).

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

Chayka literally got his jobs because he ran a stats website. He was AGM for what, a year? Barroway, being a new owner, went for the "stats" guy despite his significant lack of experience.

My point about Epstein was not that he understood the contract language and that's how he got his job, but how he worked with the Padres then the Red Sox for 7 years before getting the Red Sox gig. His age was irrelevant at that point aside from setting a milestone. He is far from a comparable to Chayka.

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
Chayka literally got his jobs because he ran a stats website. He was AGM for what, a year? Barroway, being a new owner, went for the "stats" guy despite his significant lack of experience.

My point about Epstein was not that he understood the contract language and that's how he got his job, but how he worked with the Padres then the Red Sox for 7 years before getting the Red Sox gig. His age was irrelevant at that point aside from setting a milestone. He is far from a comparable to Chayka.

Chayka had consulting gigs around the NHL for years before he was hired by Arizona. And I'm not comparing Epstein to Chayka in any way other than age. I'm saying that saying Chayka runs a "Mickey Mouse" organization because he's under 30 is dumb.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Chayka had consulting gigs around the NHL for years before he was hired by Arizona. And I'm not comparing Epstein to Chayka in any way other than age. I'm saying that saying Chayka runs a "Mickey Mouse" organization because he's under 30 is dumb.

Thats not the reasoning. Its because he pretty much had 0 experience before getting the job. His age isn't the issue - his obvious lack of experience is.

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
Thats not the reasoning. Its because he pretty much had 0 experience before getting the job. His age isn't the issue - his obvious lack of experience is.

I think he's done a fine job considering the mess he inherited, but I never said his lack of experience wasn't a weakness.

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
I think theres a boat load of better hires they could have and should have made. Rather than a guy who ran a website.

That's debatable, especially since the situation, money and available resources might not have been enough to woo top candidates, but he hasn't done a bad job.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad