HF praises Chayka and sucks... Hate McPhee but he's killing it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
Safe to say McPhee has made up for that Forsberg f*** up a few years ago... Easily the GM of the year

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Safe to say McPhee has made up for that Forsberg **** up a few years ago... Easily the GM of the year

Probably for the last part. I still want to see the team next year before saying he made up for the Forsberg f*** up (unless they win the Cup).

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Nothing makes up for that forsberg f*** up. Watch him single handedly carry Nashville past vegas in the third round lol

Reactions: haveandare

Leonhard Euler

Mar 5, 2018
I didn't really enjoy the Tatar trade if I'm honest. I thought it was a steep price to pay for player like Tatar. Tatar had 6 point sin 20 games with Vegas and then nothing in play offs where he is barely even. used.

generalshepherd141

Jun 12, 2017
America
I didn't really enjoy the Tatar trade if I'm honest. I thought it was a steep price to pay for player like Tatar. Tatar had 6 point sin 20 games with Vegas and then nothing in play offs where he is barely even. used.
Yeah, it was a STEEP overpay. If I'm Vegas I would've still had to debate trading simply a 2 and a 3 for him.

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
1st, 2nd and 3rd for $5M player Gallant is scratching. Wooof.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Chayka was a garbage hire from day one. Not to sound like the spokesman for the Old Boys Club, but running a stats website isn't really a qualification to be an NHL GM. Barroway, like a lot of people went a little crazy with the fancy stats. Other GMs probably don't respect Chayka because he didn't have to fight thru the trenches to get where he is.

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
1st, 2nd and 3rd for $5M player Gallant is scratching. Wooof.
It was a gamble... an odd one and definately seeming like an over payment, but at the time it didn't seem too bad, he just didn't click. He's not awful he has just been a complete non factor.

At the time I was more annoyed and getting Reaves.... Didn't think we needed him then, still don't now, but he was alot more impressive in the 1 playoff game he has played than Tatar has in his 4.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
How much credit are we giving GMGM for picking up Gallant, Fleury, Karlsson, March, Smith, Theo, Neal, Haula, Tuch and Schmidt? Flury was a no-brainer, same for March and Smith, same for Schmidt. No one expected Karlsson to be that good and he seemed like a logical choice out of CBJ. The impact players on that roster were basically slam dunk decisions were they not?

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
I never understood that trade, and I understand it even less when Tatar fails to even earn a spot on the roster many nights.

And the only reason it is so perplexing is how much he gave up for him. I suppose it is to acquire a more long term asset?

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville

That's an understatement. You have to thrive on stuff like this if you're a depth player watching your coach hold everyone accountable.

Ultimate Bandwagon

May 26, 2013
Montreal
I think Chayka still needs some more time before I can judge him. Although I will admit, at the beginning of the season I thought ARI might do a bit better than they actually did.

As for McPhee, I don't hate him, but man that Forsberg for Erat trade. That knocked him down many rungs on the ladder. He has however done well so far with VGK. The next few years will be interesting.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
I always hear that Chayka sucks, but looking at what he's done for Arizona and what he inherited and I really don't see how he sucks.

Reactions: TychoFan

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
How much credit are we giving GMGM for picking up Gallant, Fleury, Karlsson, March, Smith, Theo, Neal, Haula, Tuch and Schmidt? Flury was a no-brainer, same for March and Smith, same for Schmidt. No one expected Karlsson to be that good and he seemed like a logical choice out of CBJ. The impact players on that roster were basically slam dunk decisions were they not?
Smith wasn't even a no brainer. It was questioned for taking him on.

After the expansion draft there wasn't a lot of praise. There were a lot of why did he do this, why didn't he get more for not taking a guy, why did he take that guy for so little etc...

Vegas was suppose to be a bottom 5 team. Even in January a lot still wouldn't give him credit. There are still a lot saying this is a one and done season, which may be true, but still no credit going to him from some.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville

McPhee had around 29 standard non waivers-exempt players in June. Most people were saying he traded the wrong guys (Methot, TVR) and that picking someone like Emelin just to flip him for a 3rd was dumb.

I will agree he could have gotten more for Methot though.

The Haula pick was the one that was most criticized. Most people felt he shouldn't have made a deal to get Tuch for not selecting Dumba.

Last edited:

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
McPhee had around 29 standard non waivers-exempt players in June. Most people were saying he traded the wrong guys (Methot, TVR) and that picking someone like Emelin just to flip him for a 3rd was dumb.

I will agree he could have gotten more for Methot though.

The Haula pick was the one that was most criticized. Most people felt he shouldn't have made a deal to get Tuch for not selecting Dumba.

Methot did next to nothing his first year in Dallas (3 pts in 38 games) and was plagued by injuries, missing over half the year. Not a bad deal by McPhee to pick up the extra draft pick, although we'll see if next year changes things. Low risk move by both sides.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
I never understood that trade, and I understand it even less when Tatar fails to even earn a spot on the roster many nights.

And the only reason it is so perplexing is how much he gave up for him. I suppose it is to acquire a more long term asset?
Cost controlled 20 goal scorer after they inevitably lose contributing players this off-season.

Overpay, but he wasn't a third of a season acquisition.

FinnishCoyote

Jan 3, 2017
I always hear that Chayka sucks, but looking at what he's done for Arizona and what he inherited and I really don't see how he sucks.

Other teams fans usually say that Chayka is garbage, but i think you can't find too many Yotes fans who says that Chayka sucks.

I think that Arizona's future is brighter than it has ever been and Chayka has done good job.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Remember when Wayne Gretzky described the Devils as a "Mickey Mouse organization"?

Professional NHLers don't want gimmick general managers, and that's John Chayka.

Imagine playing for the Coyotes knowing your general manager is under 30. Imagine going home, looking yourself in the mirror, and saying, "yes, this organization knows what's best for itself"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad