Prospect Info: HF Mock Draft 28th Overall

tyflames

Jul 4, 2010
So you think he'll be no more than a career backup? Because that's the "level" of Brossoit (AHL starter) and Gilles (backup, maybe 1B).

I agree with you that Fucale would be way above those guys because he has elite starter potential but I think you are underestimating Brossoit and Gilles. Especially Gillies with his size and if he continues to progress could work out. You never know with goalies though, so it's hard to say what they will be when they are young.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I like Compher, but in the NHL I see him as a great 3rd line center or a fringe #2C. Lindholm or Monahan will likely be our #1C of the future then we already have a bunch of guys like Backlund, Jankow, Reinhart and now Knight. I'd rather take Petan as his ceiling is higher if he reaches it.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
So you think he'll be no more than a career backup? Because that's the "level" of Brossoit (AHL starter) and Gilles (backup, maybe 1B).

Goalies are silly things to be honest.

Here's some quick hitters about how you never know with them:
SCF - Quick (72 overall), Rask (21 overall)
Regular Season - Lundqvist (207 overall), Bobrovsky (undrafted), Schneider (26 overall)

I think just looking at these 5 high tier goalies, you can truly see that it's a scatter gun in regards to what you're getting. Can you get a Rask or Schneider in the first? Yeah. But you can also get a Fleury or even worse, Leland Irving.

At the end of the day, that's a position that truly requires a lot of work, and really being a total unknown until the guy's about 23-24.

I will say this, in the last deep draft, the only goalie to go in the first round; was Tuukkka and he's... not bad?

brewski1810

Jul 12, 2010
Took mueller, surprised he's not getting more love, no to fucale, goaltending is the only place we have prospect depth,

herashak

Mar 24, 2013
id take a potential starting goalie over a potential 3rd line C. maybe not before the knight signing but now i would

Wabbit

Jun 22, 2013

I'm a little on the fence regarding Brossoit, but i don't think the numbers Gillies put up this year (for a college rookie) can be ignored. I believe he is severely underrated as a prospect, and will one day be our starter...

Wabbit

Jun 22, 2013
Took mueller, surprised he's not getting more love, no to fucale, goaltending is the only place we have prospect depth,

I think if you're gonna pick a more defensive D-man, why pick Mueller, Hagg ,or McCoshen when you can pick Heatherington-a huge kid with some nastiness?

Ashasx

Jun 30, 2010
Quantity does not mean quality. Fucale would be head and shoulders above any goalie prospect currently in the system.

@Ashasx
@coreypronman Is Zach Fucale a better prospect than Jon Gillies?

@coreypronman
@Ashasx it's close. lean to Gillies.

Gillies posted MVP numbers on an awful team while Fucale posted backup numbers on the best team in the CHL.

Ian McCoshen is my pick at 28.

Last edited:

tyflames

Jul 4, 2010
@Ashasx
@coreypronman Is Zach Fucale a better prospect than Jon Gillies?

@coreypronman
@Ashasx it's close. lean to Gillies.

Gillies posted MVP numbers on an awful team while Fucale posted backup numbers on the best team in the CHL.

Ian McCoshen is my pick at 28.

I still take Fucale every day of the week and twice on Sundays if he's there at 28. But Meuller looks solid as well.

Wabbit

Jun 22, 2013
I like Compher, but in the NHL I see him as a great 3rd line center or a fringe #2C. Lindholm or Monahan will likely be our #1C of the future then we already have a bunch of guys like Backlund, Jankow, Reinhart and now Knight. I'd rather take Petan as his ceiling is higher if he reaches it.

I totally agree with you, except i hope Petan gets left out of the equation. We need size and grit in our pipeline and i just don't think he has the skating or shiftiness needed to make it as a small man. If we went for a smaller forward, I can see Klimchuk or Hartman being able to offer us more-though neither will be available at 28 unfortunately.

Noori

Jul 7, 2007
Calgary
Fucale just doesn't seem like a Weisbrod pick to me. Compher or McCoshen are the guys I see the Flames targeting with the 28th.

I'd need one more top-40 pick to be comfortable selected Fucale.

herashak

Mar 24, 2013
so fucale is a year younger and almost as good as gillies? i dont mind that.

Wabbit

Jun 22, 2013
I may get roasted for saying this-but i can see the flames taking Brett Pesce with the 28th. We all know how much Weisbrod likes his college kids, and since we don't have a 2nd rounder, it might necessitate taking him there. I heard a rumor weeks ago (sorry no source) that they were high on him too, and Feaster isn't afraid to go off the board.

Flamer4

May 29, 2013
The more I read about mueller the more I want him at 28 if we need a d then I think he's our guy

herashak

Mar 24, 2013
Last time we took a goalie in the 25~ range it worked out great for us. Great idea guys!

under sutter... so you might aswell look at forwards who were drafted under sutter in the 20s. not much better.

Last edited:

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
under sutter... so you might aswell look at forwards who were drafted under sutter in the 20s. not any better.

Backlund, Nemisz, and Chucko. That's a 33% success rate, and Nemisz might (miiiight) end up in the NHL at some point. Granted, the goalie sample is exactly one, but still technically worse.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Last time we took a goalie in the 25~ range it worked out great for us. Great idea guys!
I'm not sure what you consider the 25~ range, but the closest goalie picked to 25 (also the only goalie picked between 12th & 30th) is Jason Muzzatti in 1988 and scouting was way more hit & miss back then.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I have 2 draft wishes. First is, we trade up somehow to grab Barkov. Or my 2nd is, we package our 2 later picks to acquire Philly's 1st and then draft one of Domi or Hunter Shinkaruk.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Not that past drafts necessarily have any bearing on future drafts, but here's all the goalies the Flames have drafted in the first round:

1988 - 21st OV - Jason Muzzatti - 62 GP
1990 - 11th OV - Trevor Kidd - 387 GP
2000 - 09th OV - Brent Krahn - 1 GP
2006 - 26th OV - Leland Irving - 13 GP

Given the amount of talent likely available with the 28th overall, I'd rather the Flames stay away from Fucale. Better yet, do the proposed Flyers trade, if possible, and try to get a higher quality player with the 11th OV.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad