HF Game of the Year 2016 - Uncharted 4 Wins

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013
I voted for BF1 but I'm just happy that it wasn't won by a pokemon game. That would've been sad.

S/M were the best installments the franchise has seen since Fire Red/Leaf Green. I would have had no issue with them winning. I voted for Uncharted simply because it's almost a masterpiece to me. This was definitely a weak year among Triple A titles though.

vdB

Dec 28, 2006
Toronto
Who anyone who says Pokemon is for adults is straight up delusional.

Get that nonsense outta here.

wingsnut19

Apr 9, 2007
Who anyone who says Pokemon is for adults is straight up delusional.

Get that nonsense outta here.
Anyone who can't see that Pokemon clearly has a larger target audience than just children is just being willfully ignorant.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Anyone who can't see that Pokemon clearly has a larger target audience than just children is just being willfully ignorant.

Well he is right...the game and series is CLEARLY targeted for children.

Most of the adults who play it got into the whole pokemon thing as children but still play it as adults. You don't see any "new" adults getting into it except for maybe a very rare exception here and there.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Well he is right...

Most of the adults who play it got into the whole pokemon thing as children but still play it as adults. You don't see any "new" adults getting into it except for maybe a very rare exception here and there.

I think that can be said of handheld gaming in general. My sister is 12 years older than me (she was in high school when the GameBoy was released) and still makes fun of me for playing my 3DS, meanwhile basically half of the people I know that are my age have at least one handheld device they play fairly regularly.

It'll be interesting to see how the Switch changes the dynamic...but as time moves on that's just inherently going to be less of an issue. I literally don't remember life before the GameBoy and I'm 30.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
I think that can be said of handheld gaming in general. My sister is 12 years older than me (she was in high school when the GameBoy was released) and still makes fun of me for playing my 3DS, meanwhile basically half of the people I know that are my age have at least one handheld device they play fairly regularly.

It'll be interesting to see how the Switch changes the dynamic...but as time moves on that's just inherently going to be less of an issue. I literally don't remember life before the GameBoy and I'm 30.

Absolutely.

wingsnut19

Apr 9, 2007

No, he is not right. The main target audience may be children, but the game play, especially on the competitive side, is definitely not just for children. The only people that say that are people that haven't bothered getting deeper into the mechanics of the game. If it was as shallow as saying it "isn't for adults" implies, then it wouldn't be able to hold the attention of the people who played it as kids to the extent that it has.

And how is handheld gaming for children just because some people are ignorant enough to believe it is?

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
Heck yeah! U4 baybeeee! Such a sick game, def game of the year. Some of the set pieces in this game blew my mind. Great story and gameplay

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
No, he is not right. The main target audience may be children, but the game play, especially on the competitive side, is definitely not just for children. The only people that say that are people that haven't bothered getting deeper into the mechanics of the game. If it was as shallow as saying it "isn't for adults" implies, then it wouldn't be able to hold the attention of the people who played it as kids to the extent that it has.

And how is handheld gaming for children just because some people are ignorant enough to believe it is?

Perception is different than reality. This is something the video game industry, as a whole, has dealt with since its inception. Toys'R'Us being the place that carried video games was a thing when I was a kid. By the time I was 12 my parents were asking if I was getting too old to be playing toys like that when I asked for Final Fantasy VII for Christmas. The older generations didn't grow up with it, so they generally just don't understand it.

Pokemon really is an all-ages series. It has elements that appeals to children, it has elements that appeal to adults, hell it has elements that appeal to competitive gamers. If the series didn't grow and adapt as it's audience grew up it wouldn't be a fraction as popular as it is today.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008

Main story line, sure, it's designed with kids in mind (and nostalgic adults who played the games as a kid). but having that "E" rating slapped on the front means everyone can play it and have a good time because it's a good game at its core.

Everything else is absolutely targeted at adult-level minds. Competitive, breeding, end game, all that jazz.

Perception is different than reality. This is something the video game industry, as a whole, has dealt with since its inception. Toys'R'Us being the place that carried video games was a thing when I was a kid. By the time I was 12 my parents were asking if I was getting too old to be playing toys like that when I asked for Final Fantasy VII for Christmas. The older generations didn't grow up with it, so they generally just don't understand it.

Pokemon really is an all-ages series. It has elements that appeals to children, it has elements that appeal to adults, hell it has elements that appeal to competitive gamers. If the series didn't grow and adapt as it's audience grew up it wouldn't be a fraction as popular as it is today.

Entirely agreed, which is why saying "it's not for adults" in a confrontational manner is being ignorant to what the game actually is. Also, rather rude.

A lot of people in the older generations struggle with the concept of video games in general being for adults. I don't blame people for not understanding, but I do blame them for being derisive about something they don't understand.

Last edited:

wingsnut19

Apr 9, 2007

I'm not really disputing the perception, but we're coming from a comment where someone said that anyone who thinks Pokemon is for adults is "delusional". That is what I disagreed with.

A demographic believing that handheld gaming is for children doesn't actually make it for children. Plenty of handheld games are actively marketed towards adults.

LSnow

Jan 5, 2012
Finland
It's funny because I've had people on this site try to tell me that the narrative is garbage and it's all about the game play, and then I've had people such as yourself try to say the game play is awful and it's all about the narrative.

Spoiler alert: both aspects are great. :laugh:

Gameplay isnt terrible, its ok. But its best game of the year, and in that company the average covershooting mechanics arent standout best of the year. I dont have problem it winning game of the year on other merits, but compared to other games its not a standout. Its similar to last of us, gameplay wasnt terrible aside from framerate but its job was to move the story along.

Afino

The Juice
Dec 2, 2003
Orchard Park, NY
A lot of people in the older generations struggle with the concept of video games in general being for adults.

Yep. It's been over a generation (since late 70's even), which makes it 30-35 years of people who grew up playing video games. Games in general have turned into part games, part cinematic events meant for adults. Because that's your audience.

Plus I think it's the whole "Nintendo's for kids" mentality that again, the older generations just make assumptions. Some of it's still true, but I think there's a distinction that Nintendo is more for FAMILIES, not specifically kids. There's that market and there's the gamer market. Both can and do exist side by side.

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008

:laugh::laugh: I stand by what I said, if you think this game is for adults, you're delusional.

Nice. Just a really solid rebuttal. I'm entirely convinced you read the arguments about how there's aspects for both and expertly crafted this response to counter all of them. Well done.

Funny, though, I could swear my game box here says "Enfants et Adultes" right on it. Must be a delusion. Probably just too much sugar.

Oh well, I have to head out. My mom said I could make a blanket fort tonight and 7:00 PM is REALLY pushing my bed time as it is.

vdB

Dec 28, 2006
Toronto
Hey if you enjoy it, all the power to you. Not chirping, but let's just not get delusional about it.

I like kids movies - like Zootopia, Home, Ice World. Not ashamed of it. Same deal.

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
I do enjoy it. It's a great game.

Like I said earlier, the campaign is definitely targeted at kids. Nothing wrong with that of course, as you mentioned. However, if you think the breeding and competitive side is for kids, I suggest you take a closer look. :laugh:

I only play the campaign, though. Other stuff is too hardcore for me. ;)

Last edited:

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
There's a difference.

Clifford The Big Red Dog is a children's book, for children and only for children.

Harry Potter is a book largely aimed at children, but with massive and widespread appeal that people of all ages can enjoy.

Pokemon, Mario, and all the other "kiddy Nintendo games" have colossal mainstream appeal. To imply that they are somehow lower quality or that there's something wrong with liking them just because a kids can play it is a pretty arrogant and condescending mindset.

I don't know why modern gamers act like this is some secret club, where only the hardest of the hardcore can be considered true gamers and everything has to be like a movie for it to be good. Everyone tries to deal in black and white. It's a testament to a studio that they can make something accessible enough for kids to play but also fulfilling to older audiences, it doesn't devalue the game nor elevate you for having "mature" or "sophisticated" (or whatever condescending buzzword you want to use) taste.

Afino

The Juice
Dec 2, 2003
Orchard Park, NY
Not to mention I put 40 hours into Sun before beating the main story. I'm approaching 100 total hours with all of the other things you can do, and still play at least a few minutes every day.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad