HF Game of the Year 2016 - Uncharted 4 Wins

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Skyrim, Last of Us, Uncharted 4, and Witcher 3 are probably my top games over the last 5 years. Probably 4 of the only 6 games that were able to keep my attention long enough to beat. (well actually I never beat Witcher 3).

All games that I played for about 2 hours before getting bored.

Actually no, I beat TLoU. That was the best story I've ever seen in a ladder/palette moving simulator; surprised they put that much budget into such a niche genre.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
FlyLine. Always on point.

seriously, 20 years from now, THOSE epic games will be constantly brought up. Not these random favourites like Pokemon Moon

That depends on if Pokemon is still being made in another 20 years or not. :laugh:

Also not at all sure what "20 years from now" has to do with game of the year for 2016.

Last edited:

Whiplash27

Quattro!!
Jan 25, 2007
Westchester, NY
In general, I think games are getting too long. Maybe some people love to sink 100 hours into a game, I hate it. I'd rather a 20-30 hour game that makes me want to replay it a couple times than a 60 hour game that's too daunting to want to replay. Also, games that are really long can either suffer from boring to start or fatigue as you get further into the game.

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
In general, I think games are getting too long. Maybe some people love to sink 100 hours into a game, I hate it. I'd rather a 20-30 hour game that makes me want to replay it a couple times than a 60 hour game that's too daunting to want to replay. Also, games that are really long can either suffer from boring to start or fatigue as you get further into the game.

Quality over quantity is a big thing in my books.

A lot of modern games shove a ton of "content" into games to keep you playing, and to me this can get real boring real quick. I pick on Ubisoft a lot because most of the games they make are guilty of this (in their defense, they still publish some gems ;)) I'm starting to learn to ignore a lot of side content in open world games to just play the "core" game, and sometimes that makes them vastly better in my eyes (big example - Dragon Age: Inquisition. Saturated with boring side quests that, when ignored, make for a much more interesting game)

There are some exceptions where a game with a ton of content is well done enough to keep things exciting over the hours. In general, though, I totally agree: 20-30 hours of action packed game is ideal, which often results in many more hours thanks to replay value.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008

I think the opposite. Most AAA games now seem to be 10 hours max and rely on cinematic experiences moreso than engaging gameplay that keeps you coming back.

Not including the Call of Duties or Battlefields. Those are basically the fast foods of the industry.

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB

seriously, 20 years from now, THOSE epic games will be constantly brought up. Not these random favourites like Pokemon Moon

I really hope nobody will think Skyrim is the pinnacle of this era of gaming 20 years from now. Also what makes Pokemon more random than those other choices?

Last edited:

Oogie Boogie

Apr 9, 2011

What??
Most games are too short.

Hullois

Suck it Trebek
Aug 26, 2010
Hull, Qc
I just finished Last of Us (I know I know, I'm late...) and I think it was way too short. The game takes what... 15-20 hours to complete? And that's while taking my time. I prefer the Fallout/Skyrim/W3 of this world.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

Right ?
:sarcasm:
pokemon_yellow_cover_art_by_comunello76-d4xfrr5.jpg

:help:

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
(Sun and Moon are better games than the originals).

As far as hour count goes, I at least appreciate something like The Last of Us as a scripted two day thing rather than having them try to shoehorn in some awful side content to pad things out a bit longer.

Mass Effect's side content was so bad that it prevented me from wanting to finish the game. Bethesda's worlds are always huge but never any fun to engage with mechanically (even when they aren't flat out broken).

I mean, no, I'd never advocate paying full price for a Naughty Dog game; you'll be done with it in 2 days and once you know the story beats there's no reason to go back to it. But I'd take something 10 hours and directed over something 100 hours and aimless. Ideally you get something 100 hours and directed, but Persona games only come out so often.

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
I said games like Pokémon Moon, not the original. The original really was one of the best games of all time.

True, but the reason the series hasn't faded for 20 years is precisely because they still make good games. Nostalgia is certainly a factor to many, but nostalgia can only take you so far if the product is bad.

vdB

Dec 28, 2006
Toronto
(Sun and Moon are better games than the originals).

Well no **** sherlock. Sun and moon came out 20 years later....this thread is giving me a headache :laugh:

Just sayin, games like Witcher, Skyrim, TLOU are epic games and will be discussed constantly 20 years from now. Games like Pokémon will not.

I'm sure pokemon is a good game if you're into that kiddy stuff, but let's be realistic, they don't deserve to be discussed on the same level like these instant classics.

LSnow

Jan 5, 2012
Finland
I never understood the complaints about short games, usually people like these in reddit and other forums play open world games like skyrim, gta, mmo etc. I find those games typically after the main campaign really boring, since all the quests and such are just filler. I much rather would play metal gear solid 10 hour campaign everytime over 100 hours of sidequests.

Maybe its because lot of people consume their entertainment mostly from games, while for me at least games also compete with books, movies, series so i would never play filler thing when i could get higher quality entertainment from other medium.

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
I never understood the complaints about short games, usually people like these in reddit and other forums play open world games like skyrim, gta, mmo etc. I find those games typically after the main campaign really boring, since all the quests and such are just filler. I much rather would play metal gear solid 10 hour campaign everytime over 100 hours of sidequests.

Maybe its because lot of people consume their entertainment mostly from games, while for me at least games also compete with books, movies, series so i would never play filler thing when i could get higher quality entertainment from other medium.

I think budget is an important factor too. Gamers with smaller budgets or less time no doubt appreciate the amount of hours you can sink into stuff like Skyrim, Witcher, etc. whereas gamers more able and more willing to buy/play more games tend to appreciate variety.

Also depends on personal preference, obviously.

Me? While I enjoy the massive games that are truly fun (like Bethesda products), I usually prefer the 15-30 hour range of action packed games because they feel like they have less filler.

Of course the biggest thing is quality. No matter how big or how small the game is, it needs to be fun. Your game can have all the "content" and dollar-per-hour value it wants, but if it's boring it's not worth the asking price.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Well no **** sherlock. Sun and moon came out 20 years later....this thread is giving me a headache :laugh:

Just sayin, games like Witcher, Skyrim, TLOU are epic games and will be discussed constantly 20 years from now. Games like Pokémon will not.

I'm sure pokemon is a good game if you're into that kiddy stuff, but let's be realistic, they don't deserve to be discussed on the same level like these instant classics.

Can you stop about the kiddy stuff ?

The only thing "kiddy" about these games are the graphics.

You sound like an elitist. Games that are remembered: Countless Mario, Zeldas, Donkey kong, pokémon, Ice climbers, Castlevania, Halo, CODs, Golden sun, FFs, MGS, GTA, Portal, Half-life, Tetris, Diablo 1 and 2, WOW, KOTOR 1/2.

I played two seconds of Skyrim and I was bored to death. Am I acting like it's a bad game ? No. It's not, it's just not my style.

I don't like Pink Floyd, am I acting like it's bad music ? No, it's just not my style.

Psyfer

Mar 1, 2008
Toronto

I would consider pokemon red/blue to be classics and it's been almost 20 years and their is no way to know what is going to be a classic in 20 years from now

vdB

Dec 28, 2006
Toronto
Games that are remembered: Countless Mario, Zeldas, Donkey kong, pokémon, Ice climbers, Castlevania, Halo, CODs, Golden sun, FFs, MGS, GTA, Portal, Half-life, Tetris, Diablo 1 and 2, WOW, KOTOR 1/2, Skyrim, Witcher, Pokemon Sun & Moon, The Last of Us

Which one sticks out like a sore thumb??? :laugh: :laugh:

Exactly my point.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Games that are remembered: Countless Mario, Zeldas, Donkey kong, pokémon, Ice climbers, Castlevania, Halo, CODs, Golden sun, FFs, MGS, GTA, Portal, Half-life, Tetris, Diablo 1 and 2, WOW, KOTOR 1/2, Skyrim, Witcher, Pokemon Sun & Moon, The Last of Us

Exactly my point.

Ice Climbers.

Psyfer

Mar 1, 2008
Toronto

Exactly my point.

Skyrim

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City

Exactly my point.

Tetris.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad