HF Game of the Year 2016 - Uncharted 4 Wins

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB
Games that are remembered: Countless Mario, Zeldas, Donkey kong, pokémon, Ice climbers, Castlevania, Halo, CODs, Golden sun, FFs, MGS, GTA, Portal, Half-life, Tetris, Diablo 1 and 2, WOW, KOTOR 1/2, Skyrim, Witcher, Pokemon Sun & Moon, The Last of Us

Which one sticks out like a sore thumb??? :laugh: :laugh:

Exactly my point.
Skyrim lol. The definition of deep as a puddle. Also Tetris

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Skyrim lol. The definition of deep as a puddle. Also Tetris

I am not sure how Tetris isn't considered a timeless classic.

Anyway, whether Pokemon is childish or not doesn't even matter, let people enjoy what they want to enjoy. Lets just say it is childish for the sake of argument my response would be...so what?

Superhero movies rake in tons of dollars by moviegoing adults. Adults pay to go watch grown men play kids sports like hockey. You can argue both are childish. The point is, that said argument is really meaningless, people like the things they like and there's nothing wrong with it.

vdB

Dec 28, 2006
Toronto
I would consider pokemon red/blue to be classics and it's been almost 20 years and their is no way to know what is going to be a classic in 20 years from now

This decade is almost over - in 3 years. What game stands out thus far??? All those games I mentioned.

The decade of the 2010's will be remembered for these epic RPG's.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
I mean, if you want to get real, playing video games by itself is childish lol. The only reason they're popular today is because people who were kids during the golden age of the 90's are now adults.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I am not sure how Tetris isn't considered a timeless classic.

Anyway, whether Pokemon is childish or not doesn't even matter, let people enjoy what they want to enjoy. Lets just say it is childish for the sake of argument my response would be...so what?

Superhero movies rake in tons of dollars by moviegoing adults. Adults pay to go watch grown men play kids sports like hockey. You can argue both are childish. The point is, that said argument is really meaningless, people like the things they like and there's nothing wrong with it.

Because Tertris isn't a game because eventually you will lose

If you can't beat a game it's not a game

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Hopefully one day somebody will beat Chess.

Also, gonna read all narration in this voice from now on.

Last edited:

Jasper

Mar 16, 2002
I mean, if you want to get real, playing video games by itself is childish lol. The only reason they're popular today is because people who were kids during the golden age of the 90's are now adults.
I'll still be playing video games when I'm an old man. I don't see what's childish about it.

Oscar Acosta

Mar 19, 2011
Revote:

2011: LA Noire - Skyrim is forgettable in the end. LA Noire is not. One of the few games that time traveled and had atmosphere down to perfection, it was easy to forget you weren't in 1945 Los Angeles as opposed to 2011 real life.

2012: Mass Effect 3 - No real explanation needed.

2013: Grand Theft Auto V - Instant 5 star game from the greats. It was perfect. Took online gaming to a new level we've never seen. The fact it's still one of the highest traffic online games 4 years later when they've never bothered to have paid DLC is not insignificant. Last of Us was fun, and had a heart twist at the end but it's just a zombie game at the height of Walking Dead TV hype. It never had the lasting appeal, nor the depth of GTA V.

2014: South Park Stick of Truth - was a great, fun game then, and still is today. There was nothing in hindsight that could take that away. I loved Valiant Hearts, Wolfenstein, Far Cry 4 - but none of them had me playing until 4AM on a work night like South Park did.

2015: Fallout 4
- once again, a game that borders on perfection. Was it the followup to Fallout 3 I hoped for? not at all. But for fun and worth playing - nothing can suck me in for 200 hours and counting over multiple systems like Fallout 4 has. Runner up - Batman Arkham Knight - what an evolution from Arkham Asylum. The Batmobile ****ing sucks though.

2016: MLB 16 the Show - they've perfected what a sports game should be and offer, offline and online, from HUT style modes to simple vs. They've nailed baseball down to a split second and a balance between paying for packs and players vs. earning them. Something every sports game should model and strive to.
Runner Up: Batman: The Telltale Series - I think this was slept on big time. Telltale Games hitting their peak performance for gameplay, where you are as badass as you want. Where your decisions make a difference, where a Batman game takes many dark turns.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad