HF Game of the Year 2016 - Uncharted 4 Wins

Virtanen18

SAMCRO
Jan 25, 2014
Vancouver
Get off your high horse bud. You chirp these games yet have only played Pokémon go (which again, is a game for kids).

If you actually played these "arthouse" games, I'm sure you would have a much more informed opinion.
"Get off your high horse", the man proclaimed from atop his high horse.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
lol don't call Pokemon for kids. The fan boys here will bit your head off!

Fair enough regarding your view on Naughty Dog games, but that kind of voice acting/story is hard to come by.

There's a big difference between asking about something you don't know about, and calling people delusional while simply laughing at any attempt to explain why you are wrong concerning something you don't know about. ;)

I do agree with you about Naughty Dog though.

Get off your high horse bud. You chirp these games yet have only played Pokémon go (which again, is a game for kids).

If you actually played these "arthouse" games, I'm sure you would have a much more informed opinion.

Just....just pure, delicious gold coming from you in this thread.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Controversial opinion time....I thought Journey sucked.

Whiplash27

Quattro!!
Jan 25, 2007
Westchester, NY
I wonder how these polls would look if we could go back and revote (now that time has passed and a lot of us have played these games after the fact). Only game I've played on the 2016 list is Blood & Wine.

If I had to revote:
2011 - Witcher 2 (Was an unknown game at the time, but I probably replayed it like 4 times by the end of 2011).
2012 - Mass Effect 3 or Sleeping Dogs (I liked XCom & BL2 & Dishonored, but those two were my favorites - Was probably one of the better recent gaming years)
2013 - Dota 2 probably for its sheer popularity, otherwise GTA V or Tomb Raider would get my vote (still haven't played the Last of Us since not on PC)
2014 - Dragon Age: Inquisition, although I'd say it wasn't the best of years
2015 - Witcher 3 (no contest even though I like FO4 a lot)

Whiplash27

Quattro!!
Jan 25, 2007
Westchester, NY
I'm in!

Shadow of Mordor was boring and I didn't like The Last of Us!

:laugh:

Shadow of Mordor was pretty fun and had a good concept, but the gameplay was extremely shallow. It's a game that if they ever release a sequel to and do right could be amazing. After playing for like 10 hours and realizing that no matter how many commanders I killed it didn't really matter, kind of made the game stale for me.

wingsnut19

Apr 9, 2007
I wonder how these polls would look if we could go back and revote (now that time has passed and a lot of us have played these games after the fact). Only game I've played on the 2016 list is Blood & Wine.

If I had to revote:
2011 - Witcher 2 (Was an unknown game at the time, but I probably replayed it like 4 times by the end of 2011).
2012 - Mass Effect 3 or Sleeping Dogs (I liked XCom & BL2 & Dishonored, but those two were my favorites - Was probably one of the better recent gaming years)
2013 - Dota 2 probably for its sheer popularity, otherwise GTA V or Tomb Raider would get my vote (still haven't played the Last of Us since not on PC)
2014 - Dragon Age: Inquisition, although I'd say it wasn't the best of years
2015 - Witcher 3 (no contest even though I like FO4 a lot)
For me I'd go:

2011: Witcher 2 or Portal 2
2012: Borderlands 2
2013: Last of Us
2014: Destiny (still haven't played many games from 2014, I liked Destiny but in most other years I wouldn't vote for it as GOTY)
2015: Witcher 3

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012

Uncharted 4 - As a huge Uncharted fan, I was a little bit underwhelmed by this installment, but it's still a great game. Unparalleled visuals, good story and great characters. I was a bit let down with the set-pieces overall, but that's only because Uncharted 3 set that at an unrealistically high level. In a down year, it was my easy choice for GOTY.

HM: Firewatch - Never played it, but I don't feel like I have to with the type of game it is. I watched a playthrough of this on YouTube and was blown away at the storytelling and character development. Just a really atmospheric and well-made game.

Witcher 3 - Looking back on this game (hell, I still play it actually), it's tough to make an argument against it as my favorite game of all-time. 2015 was a behemoth of a year for great games, but this one still easily stood out as my favorite. This ticks all of the boxes, with an amazing and vast open world, a great story, a staggering number of interesting and well-acted characters, and really good gameplay as well.

HM: Fallout 4 - Fallout 4 may have been a little disappointing relative to the hype, but it's still an unbelievably impressive and immersive experience. This is a Bethesda game by the books. Didn't do a lot to push the boundaries of open-world games, but it was still a very well-made game.

Bloodborne - This succeeded in introducing me as a Dark Souls noob to that type of game. It was just dripping in atmosphere and I had a really great time with it, even if I hated it at the same time. The enemy creations are second to none.

Undertale - This is another game that I never actually played, but from watching playthroughs of it, the writing stood out to me above all else. A lot of the dialogue in it is laugh-out-loud funny.

Far Cry 4 -Very easily my "worst" game of the year choice. As a game, Far Cry 3 was straight up better. While it didn't do anything to up the ante on the Far Cry series, I still feel that the Far Cry series has near perfect mechanics for a first person shooter. It's just a blast to play.

HM: None. This was such a bad year for games IMO, at least of the ones I've played. I'm sure once I give something like Dark Souls 2 a try, it would take the title for me, but even then I hear that one is the worst of the series. Destiny was certainly fine, but it just felt so underwhelming.

The Last of Us - This game gets so much praise, but it really does deserve it. Naughty Dog really upped their story-telling and character development from the Uncharted series, even if the Uncharted series already did that exceptionally well.

HM: BioShock Infinite - Probably not as good as the first one, but it was a very valiant effort. The ambition of the game alone is impressive. Amazing setting, top notch story, and solid from a gameplay perspective as well; the sky-rail thing may have been a bit gimmicky, but I still had a blast with it. Loved this game, and would have won my GOTY in most other years.

Journey - The fact that I'm even considering a 2 hour game where (correct me if I'm wrong) you can't die says something. Quite honestly, there is nothing like it that I've ever played. The co-op was so well done, and the locations were beautiful and eerie. I don't know, listing out reasons makes it seem underwhelming because it's such an emotionally-driven game that is tough to define.

HM: Far Cry 3 - On a polar opposite note, Far Cry 3 was awesome. It is exactly what a first-person shooter should be. Awesome mechanics, great villain, good-enough story, fantastic and beautiful location. Had a blast with this game.

Portal 2 - In a year that Skyrim set the bar for both open world games and games with replayability at an astronomically high level, I cannot ignore this ~10 hour game that has relatively little replayability. I challenge anyone to show me a better character than Stephen Merchant's Wheatley. He's so good in it that GLaDOS takes a backseat. This is the funniest, wittiest, most well-written game I've ever played, and it has the best mechanic of any game I've ever played (portal gun, of course).

HM: Skyrim - Skyrim drew the short straw on this one. This game did so much for introducing a fully realized world that is an absolute blast to explore. The replayability is almost kind of scary. Still holds up to this day.

Uncharted 3 - This one isn't remembered as fondly as most Uncharted games are for some reason. I'm a big advocate of story in games, but when you can play through a set-piece like a sinking cruise ship, I don't really care why I'm there as long as I can play through it. Hands down the best set-pieces in a game that I've ever played.

Side note: 2011 has to be the best year for games for me. Skyward Sword, although it has its flaws, doesn't get an HM for me. I thought LA Noire was fantastic as well.

Last edited:

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
2011 - Dark Souls
HM: Mario Galaxy 2? Weak year.
edit: SMG2 was 2010, sooo.. nothing? edit2: Ar tonelico 3 for having the best soundtrack in gaming history. edit3: Wait, I found one. Catherine.

2012 - Journey/eventually Diablo 3 since it made me like $600.
HM: FTL, Hotline Miami

2013 - Link Between Worlds
HM: Fire Emblem: Awakening, Revengeance

2014 - Destiny (eventually)
HM: Guilty Gear Xrd, Bayonetta 2

2015 - Bloodborne
HM: MGSV, Rocket League

2016 - Doom
HM: Dark Souls 3, Revelator, Hitman, Pokemon SM

Last edited:

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
Good idea:

2011 - Portal 2
HM: The Witcher 2 & Deus Ex: Human Revolution

2012 - Dishonored
HM: XCOM: Enemy Unknown, Mark of the Ninja, Hotline Miami

2013 - Bioshock: Infinite
HM: Tomb Raider, Stanley Parable

2014 - Wasteland 2
HM: Wolfenstein: The New Order, Hearthstone, Shovel Knight

2015 - The Witcher 3
HM: Rocket League, Ori & The Blind Forest

2016 - Toss up between Doom & The Witcher 3: Blood & Wine - I'd probably give it to Doom just because Blood & Wine is an xpack.
HM: Pokemon Go I guess, haven't really played too much else from this year. I'm only on the first mission of Dishonored 2 and still haven't started XCOM 2 which I suspect could make this list. I don't think Deus Ex Mankind Divided was good enough to make an honorable mentions list despite the fact that it's probably the only other game that came out in 2016 that I finished.

Jasper

Mar 16, 2002
Hope I have the years right on these:

2011 - Skyrim
2012 - Far Cry 3
2013 - Brave New World
2014 - Far Cry 4 (Shadow of Mordor HM)
2015 - Pillars of Eternity
2016 - Total War: Warhammer (BF1, Primal, Doom HM)

Last edited:

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
2011: Skyrim
2012: Civilization V
2013: Zelda: Link Between Worlds
2014: Bayonetta 2
2015: Bloodborne
2016: Pokemon: Sun/Moon

Last edited:

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario
2012: Borderlands 2 HM: ME3
2013: AC:BF (would be last of us but I didn't play it until they remastered it)
2014: Uhhh Destiny I guess, bad year.
2015: Witcher 3 HM: Bloodborne
2016: Overwatch

JesusPrice

Aug 14, 2007
Newfoundland
Someone should make a new thread. I only play Nintendo games, so not to hard:

2011 - Super Mario 3D Land (HM: Mario Kart 7)
2012 - Professor Layton & Miracle Mask
2013 - Fire Emblem Awakening
2014 - Mario Kart 8 (HM: Bravely Default, Professor Layton vs Phoenix Wright, Shovel Knight)
2015 - Xenoblade Chronicles X (HM: Super Mario Maker)
2016 - Fire Emblem Fates (all 3 versions)

Haven't played Tokyo Mirage Sessions or Shantae yet so they would probably be HM's for 2016

Just missed out on 2010 with 2 of my favorite games ever Rock Band 3 and VVVVVV

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB
2011: Portal 2 (HM: Dark Souls)
2012: Dishonored (HM: Sleeping Dogs)
2013: Fire Emblem Awakening (HM: Bioshock Infinite)
2014: Smash Bros. 4 (HM: Shovel Knight)
2015: Witcher 3 (HM: Rocket League, Undertale, GTA V)
2016: Dark Souls 3 (HM: Pokemon Sun/Moon, Stardew Valley, Fire Emblem Fates)

Finally played Stardew Valley and the new Fire Emblem after the poll closed lmao.

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
2016: Uncharted 4
2015: Rocket League
2014: Hearthstone
2013: The Last of Us
2012: I hated this year? Dead or Alive 5
2011: Portal 2
2010: Heavy Rain

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
2011: Dark Souls, Skyrim close 2nd
2012: Dishonored
2013: GTA 5
2014: Can't think of any game that was really amazing. Mario Kart 8 and Dark Souls 2 were very good.
2015: Witcher 3
2016: Haven't played enough games to say yet. Overwatch, Doom and Hitman were great.

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
You're a Pokemon fanboy, you think it's for kids, and you hate the Last of Us.

yeahhh...let's just ignore eachother on this forum:laugh::laugh:

I don't think having differing opinions on two subjects means we can't have a decent discussion. ;)

However, judging by what you just said, I don't think you were paying close attention. To be fair, I suppose there were many voices in your ear at that time. :laugh:

My point was Pokemon had elements for both kids and adults. They have a massive audience of both, and they know it.

I'm not hardcore enough to be a "fanboy" of Pokemon (not even really sure what that means anymore to be honest), I just enjoy playing the games casually. I'm mostly nostalgia driven.

Also, it's not that I hate the Last of Us, really. I just don't particularly enjoy survival/zombie games. Even for the narrative-driven ones (which is usually my jam) like TLoU, I just can't seem to get into them thematically. Personal problem?

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
I forgot my votes and was too lazy to check, so in hindsight:

2012: Mass Effect 3
2013: AC: Black Flag
2014: Dragon Age: Inquisition
2015: Fallout 4 (don't hate, it was my first Fallout game :laugh:)
2016: Uncharted 4

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
To the guy above. Dark souls 2 isn't that bad. It's just super easy if you know how to play those types of games. Seriously

Dark souls 1 was better by far. But that doesn't mean the worst in the series is terrible

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Skyrim, Last of Us, Uncharted 4, and Witcher 3 are probably my top games over the last 5 years. Probably 4 of the only 6 games that were able to keep my attention long enough to beat. (well actually I never beat Witcher 3).

vdB

Dec 28, 2006
Toronto
FlyLine. Always on point.

seriously, 20 years from now, THOSE epic games will be constantly brought up. Not these random favourites like Pokemon Moon

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad