Post-Game Talk: HEY! It's Boyd Dever- Oh. It's Mark Arcobello

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I feel like Gardiner does this every year... Starts slowly and then heats up as the season goes on.
That being said he's been a lot more reliable defensively than in years past.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Lols. Morgan Rielly does not deserve to carry Thomas Kaberle's jockstrap. Kaberle was the best Leaf Defenceman since Tim Horton.

Anyone who says Rielly is better, really did NOT watch Kaberle play. Either that, or they are relatives of Rielly.

Kaberle brought the puck out as well as Housley and Orr ever did. He also had a very nice clapper, but unfortunately preferred to pass. Rielly? Does he even have a clapper?

Rielly is a nice dman, andn sometimes a very good dman, but he cannot do what Kaberle did, not time and time again. Heck, who can? That is what make Kaberle the target of huge trade packages from rival GM's.

Does anyone here know some of the packages that were offered for Kaberle in his prime?

I don't think Rielly would even get a top four pick in this years draft. Unless it was Edmonton, but we would have to give up our Pittsburgh first rounder back.

I watched nearly every single game of Kabs in the blue and white, and you definitely overrate him. Kaberle was good... but to use him in the same sentence as Orr and Housley... is an incredible stretch.

He was exceptionally patient and very good at bringing the puck out of the zone, but he was average defensively, and he lacked the swagger/confidence/leadership it took to be a #1 guy. He was a poor mans Subban/Karlsson.

That slapper you talk about... well his career high was 11 goals, better slapper or not than Rielly... you have to have the foresight of when to use it, for it to be dangerous. Rielly by comparison had 8 goals in his sophomore year. Rielly is much more dangerous off the rush, a threat that Kaberle really never was.

Rielly isn't at the level of Kabs yet, but if I had a choice of Rielly to match Kaberle's contributions, or take what Rielly could be. I take Rielly's current potential, every single day of the week... without a second thought.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Gadiner looks like to be developing into a solid #2 or average #1 to me.

I think that estimate of Gardiner is a little high (IMO).
He is a top 4, better suited for 2nd pairing D.
People think the sole reason we signed all these vets was to just unload them quickly. While this is partly true, I believe it was also done to slot people where they believe their proper place is. You'd rather play a Hunwick/Parenteau out of place then hurt your long term players.
There is a reason Gardiner is on the 2nd pair while Rielly is on the 1st. There is a reason Lupul doesn't see the top 6 and players like Arcobello/Leivo get the call before Nylander/Brown.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
Kaberle's passing and vision was 10x better than rielly. Reilly really hasnt shown much ability outside of just lugging the puck up the ice.

hockey dude

Aug 26, 2011
Lols. Morgan Rielly does not deserve to carry Thomas Kaberle's jockstrap. Kaberle was the best Leaf Defenceman since Tim Horton.

Anyone who says Rielly is better, really did NOT watch Kaberle play. Either that, or they are relatives of Rielly.

Kaberle brought the puck out as well as Housley and Orr ever did. He also had a very nice clapper, but unfortunately preferred to pass. Rielly? Does he even have a clapper?

Rielly is a nice dman, andn sometimes a very good dman, but he cannot do what Kaberle did, not time and time again. Heck, who can? That is what make Kaberle the target of huge trade packages from rival GM's.

Does anyone here know some of the packages that were offered for Kaberle in his prime?

I don't think Rielly would even get a top four pick in this years draft. Unless it was Edmonton, but we would have to give up our Pittsburgh first rounder back.

Did you watch Orr play?

Iamtheliquor*

Dec 15, 2015
Kaberle's passing and vision was 10x better than rielly. Reilly really hasnt shown much ability outside of just lugging the puck up the ice.

This exactly. Kabs ability to walk the puck into the offensive zone was far more impressive than Reilly's at this point as well.

Reilly will get there but to this point Kabs was the better D-man IMO.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
The area, right beside the net, behind the goal line, really needs to be cleaned up. The 1st Eberle goal and the 2 Vancouver goals, were due to turnovers in that area.

I'd rather they ice the puck, than bobble around with it.

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
Kaberle and Rielly are not comparables though.

Kaberle in the offensive zone and the PP was absolutely elite. One of the best passers in the NHL in his prime.

Kaberle in his own zone was average on his best day. We all know he didnt hit, and while he was ok at reading the play, he could also get beat for speed. Rielly already does many things in his own end better than Kaberle did

teeder333*

Oct 22, 2014
Watched Orr a lot and met him several times, his knee broke down early in his career, he was always working off one and a half legs. He had phenomenal teammates, Kaberle had a few as well.

But this Rielly kid, doesn't even come close to Kaberle. Kaberle carried the puck out of his zone as well as Orr. He was too nice a guy to come close to Orr. Orr lived and ate the game of hockey but Kaberle was as good or better than anyone who has ever played the game at getting the puck of his zone.

This Rielly shows flashes, but he may never get past this point. Kaberle by the same age was showing a lot more.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Watched Orr a lot and met him several times, his knee broke down early in his career, he was always working off one and a half legs. He had phenomenal teammates, Kaberle had a few as well.

But this Rielly kid, doesn't even come close to Kaberle. Kaberle carried the puck out of his zone as well as Orr. He was too nice a guy to come close to Orr. Orr lived and ate the game of hockey but Kaberle was as good or better than anyone who has ever played the game at getting the puck of his zone.

This Rielly shows flashes, but he may never get past this point. Kaberle by the same age was showing a lot more.

If your so confident in your comparison of Kaberle to Orr, please go post the comparison on the main board... I'll grab my :popcorn:

teeder333*

Oct 22, 2014
Heh, I compared his breakout ability, getting the puck out of his zone. Plus in Orr's era, not many of his opponents could skate.

Orr came into the league after the league doubled in size. Sudden overnight 50% dilution in terms of talent.

Kaberle did NOT get to experience that AHL aspect to the NHL.

Orr came into the league at like the perfect time. Right in 67, they year of 50% rollback of NHL quality players.

highslot

Jul 10, 2012

i've watched kaberle the entire time he was here, and he was piss poor in the defensive zone. i'd say below average, not even average. positionally not great UNLESS he had the puck, and was great at carrying out n-s or e-w.

have you seen paul coffey breakout? brian leetch, niedermeyer? kaberle is simply not in their class imo. since the lower lines in the nhl are bigger and better skaters, from what i've seen, i don't think kaberle today would do better than gardiner at his best breaking out of the zone. kaberle was no paul coffey or bobby orr.

rielly is much better in his own zone a great skater and better moves. kaberle had better vision and was smoother skater, but i wouldn't say he has better maneuvreability or acceleration.

teeder333*

Oct 22, 2014
Well you named some sensational guys there. Coffey, Niedemeyer and Leetch, all three yeah, were insane. Insane. We got Leetch for what one season and he delighted Leaf fans with how amazing he was.

So I am not going to argue with your selections, they are like top three of the top five of all time at breaking the puck out.

Kaberle was phenomenal at it though. He was just in essence too nice for this violent sport. I met him any times and he blew me away with how nice he was.

Rielly seems too nice as well. I loved Niedemeyer and Orr, both of them had that je ne sais quoi. Niedemeyer would smoke you with a stick or an elbow if you crossed him, Orr would just beat the everlasting crap out of you.

Rielly and Kaberle are just too nice on opponents. Kaberle after getting concussed by Janssens, was never the same.

Same thing with Rielly, he is too tame for my liking.

That is why I like Lindholm, that guy has a mean streak in him.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka

Isn't it a little unfair to compare Kaberle in his prime to a kid whos still developing?

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
The area, right beside the net, behind the goal line, really needs to be cleaned up. The 1st Eberle goal and the 2 Vancouver goals, were due to turnovers in that area.

I'd rather they ice the puck, than bobble around with it.

Most likely due to the breakout strategy but I see where you're going with this. We had enough people there but they looked confused with what they were supposed to be doing. It's easy for the opposing team to just bum rush multiple forecheckers towards the puck carrier and limit his passing options. This confusion I found particularly surprising: when you notice, a lot of the AHL contingent is on the ice at the time. This should not be happening, especially since they're supposed to be running the same system down there as well. I'm just going to write it off as something that is temporary.

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
This exactly. Kabs ability to walk the puck into the offensive zone was far more impressive than Reilly's at this point as well.

Reilly will get there but to this point Kabs was the better D-man IMO.
Kaberle was a puck mover more closer to the mould of Leetch or Lidstrom ( albeit much weaker defensively). On the other hand, Rielly is more of a rusher in the mould of Karlsson, Letang and Subban. In that regards, Rielly was more akin to Orr than Kaberle who was more Lidstrom-like.

Obviously, I wouldn't consider either defenders as equivalent to the generational counterparts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad