Post-Game Talk: HEY! It's Boyd Dever- Oh. It's Mark Arcobello

taurine330

Nov 28, 2015
Stockholm
I fell'd asleep before the game so please could anyone give me some detailed analysis how did Greening played ? Cowen didnt play right ? I read few reports and they said Greenin was very good.

Greening was ok. Nothing special, but then again nothing bad.
And yes, Cowen did not play.

Deuce Awesome

Feb 23, 2010
Random though, which player would you guys rather have, Morgan Rielly or a 21 year old Kaberle.

Guess you've never seen kaberle play and no not the end of career kaberle

Good lord. Kaberle was good but Reilly is the real deal. Not even in the same category.

Yes I watched him break into the league and develop. He was a late round pick who turned into a gem. Reilly is looking like a franchise defenceman. I don't think we have ever had one of those.

Account Terminated

Sep 12, 2009
Guess you've never seen kaberle play and no not the end of career kaberle

I have, actually. No denying he was good, he was. But I still prefer Rielly. Kid is an absolute gem.

I was joking about the second portion of my post, if the sarcasm smiley wasn't enough...

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Random though, which player would you guys rather have, Morgan Rielly or a 21 year old Kaberle.

Kaberle. He had something neither Rielly nor Gardiner have. The ability to calmly elude forecheckers with zero panic. He gave the Leafs dozens of adventure-free defensive zone escapes every night.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Good lord. Kaberle was good but Reilly is the real deal. Not even in the same category.

Yes I watched him break into the league and develop. He was a late round pick who turned into a gem. Reilly is looking like a franchise defenceman. I don't think we have ever had one of those.

Little premature on the "franchise" label.

Not even close at this point, and unless you just started watching the Leafs he really isn't near the top of Leafs defenders list.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto

I like Rielly and I think he's developing into an above average NHL defenseman. Yet I don't see this "franchise" or "elite" defenseman stuff. Rielly's successes aren't effortless. He takes a fair bit of physical punishment. Yes, he skates well but there are probably 50 defensemen in the NHL who skate as well or better than him.

Last edited:

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto

Seriously?

I watched Kaberle play, and there's not much about him that reminds me of Morgan Rielly.

Kaberle was a smooth-skating defenceman with some offensive skills who could not ride an on-coming forward into the boards or physically defend in front of the net if his life depended on it.

Morgan Rielly dominates in a way that Kaberle could not.

Thomas Kaberle reminds me as much of Matt Hunwick as he does of Morgan Rielly. Kaberle is better than Hunwick but not nearly as good as Rielly.

I can't think of a Leafs defenceman since Borje Salming that would be remotely be comparable to Rielly at this age.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
I like Rielly and I think he's developing into an above average NHL defenseman. Yet I don't see this "franchise" or "elite" defenseman stuff. Rielly's successes aren't effortless. He takes a fair bit of physical punishment. Yes, he skates well but there 50 defensemen in the NHL who skate as well or better than him.

So, which 50 defenceman do you have in mind?

Are any of them on the Leafs?

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Seriously?

I watched Kaberle play, and there's not much about him that reminds me of Morgan Rielly.

Kaberle was a smooth-skating defenceman with some offensive skills who could not ride an on-coming forward into the boards or physically defend in front of the net if his life depended on it.

Thomas Kaberle reminds me as much of Matt Hunwick as he does of Morgan Rielly. Kaberle is better than Hunwick but not nearly as good as Rielly.

I can't think of a Leafs defenceman since Borje Salming that would be remotely be comparable to Rielly at this age.

There is some massive overrating here, in my opinion.

Brewsky

King Of The Ice Mugs
Jan 26, 2011
King County
www.brewsky.com
Seriously?

:laugh:

I can't emphasize how wrong I feel this post is. Hell, Jake Gardiner at 21 years old was better than Morgan Rielly, and Kaberle was better than both at 21 years old. Can Rielly be better than both? Sure.

But at 21, just look at the point shares, even defensive point shares of Gards and Kaberle during their 21 year old season.

It's cool to be a fan of Rielly, we all are, but these overstatements :shakehead

teeder333*

Oct 22, 2014
Lols. Morgan Rielly does not deserve to carry Thomas Kaberle's jockstrap. Kaberle was the best Leaf Defenceman since Tim Horton.

Anyone who says Rielly is better, really did NOT watch Kaberle play. Either that, or they are relatives of Rielly.

Kaberle brought the puck out as well as Housley and Orr ever did. He also had a very nice clapper, but unfortunately preferred to pass. Rielly? Does he even have a clapper?

Rielly is a nice dman, andn sometimes a very good dman, but he cannot do what Kaberle did, not time and time again. Heck, who can? That is what make Kaberle the target of huge trade packages from rival GM's.

Does anyone here know some of the packages that were offered for Kaberle in his prime?

I don't think Rielly would even get a top four pick in this years draft. Unless it was Edmonton, but we would have to give up our Pittsburgh first rounder back.

Erdinger

Oct 6, 2011
Toronto
Kabs was very frustrating to watch when he was young. He was so soft.
Brilliant coming out of the zone and as a passer though.

rrc1967

Jan 9, 2014
Houston Texas
so what i gather from this thread so far..

Rielly is the best leafs defenseman since Salming..

Arcobello is going to be a 30g/50 point forward for the leafs.

God this place makes me smile.

Erdinger

Oct 6, 2011
Toronto
so what i gather from this thread so far..

Rielly is the best leafs defenseman since Salming..

Arcobello is going to be a 30g/50 point forward for the leafs.

God this place makes me smile.

That's all you got from 32 pages? You must have a huge ignore list.:laugh:

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
Rielly is a far more explosive skater than Kaberle, and better at jumping up in the play, but that's about where the comparisons end.

Kaberle's zone exits, breakout passes, and puck control were on another level (notice that Rielly often fumbles the puck, has trouble keeping it flat, nowhere near as smooth as Kaberle was).

Rielly has the potential to develop into a better player, as he has great raw physical tools, but he's not there yet.

How quickly people forget that Kaberle, beginning shortly after he broke into the league, was a top 10-20 defenseman in the league for a long time.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Rielly is a far more explosive skater than Kaberle, and better at jumping up in the play, but that's about where the comparisons end.

Kaberle's zone exits, breakout passes, and puck control were on another level (notice that Rielly often fumbles the puck, has trouble keeping it flat, nowhere near as smooth as Kaberle was).

Rielly has the potential to develop into a better player, as he has great raw physical tools, but he's not there yet.

How quickly people forget that Kaberle, beginning shortly after he broke into the league, was a top 10-20 defenseman in the league for a long time.

Rielly will likely end up better than Kaberle but not at the moment. Kaberle was very smooth with the puck, he even did a little head fake sometimes as he skated the puck out. He was also a great passer. Man I miss prime-Kaberle. Beautiful player. Obviously wasn't physical by there were so many nights where we didnt even need a breakout strategy.

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012
Just my opinion (and probably going to get called crazy) but I think Jake Gardiner is turning into a true #1.

Looking more and more like a 25+ minute a night guy to me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad