Player Discussion Henrik Lundqvist Pt. II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Lundqvist won't win a Vezina, unless he puts up some ungodly numbers in the last section of the season and a couple of competitors drop off. The Vezina is all about the numbers.

It's funny, as a kid I don't remember the award being quite like that. I'm trying to remember when I noticed it becoming strictly about the numbers and that seems to be around the mid-90s.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Hank owes his career to Dan Girardi.
The master of own goals: Dan Girardi (although he blocks a ton, so there might be a correlation there. But since he's pretty much terrible at everything else I don't put him in much esteem anyway).

The master of putting on the pain: Ryan McDonagh

NYRCSKA*

Long time reader, first time poster. I've been a life long Rangers fan, and there isn't anyone in the NHL who deserves to lift the Holy Grail over their head more than Henrik Lundqvist. I hope the Rangers are ready for the playoffs to put the chalice in the King's hands.

Vickers8

Kevin Baumer ‏@kevinbaumer · Mar 23

The list of best individual goalie SV% seasons in #NYR history is quite amusing
CeR-wTmWsAAlfDC.jpg:large

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Dead puck-era, am I right? ;)

In fairness, it is a pretty decent contributing factor --- taking nothing away from Lunqvist.

I was looking at goalie stats a few weeks back and in the last 20 years the league's average save percentage has gone up something like .015.

I'm always amazed at how open and "sloppy" the game looks when I view older contests.

I thought nothing of it growing up, but to look back on it...wow.

Hockeyplayer99

Jul 31, 2005
In fairness, it is a pretty decent contributing factor --- taking nothing away from Lunqvist.

I was looking at goalie stats a few weeks back and in the last 20 years the league's average save percentage has gone up something like .015.

I'm always amazed at how open and "sloppy" the game looks when I view older contests.

You also have to think though with players like Brodeur is his team played tight defense. He would face most nights about 17-18 shots on goal. Most of them not quality. His Save % and wins, shutouts are all a big contributor to the system the Devils played for him.

Jan 8, 2012
NY

Yeah, some of the footage they show of the 70s and 80s looks like a game of shinny on the local pond. I'm sure all those athletes back then were giving it their all.

Maybe when I watch games from this era thirty years from now, it'll look slow and unskilled as well.

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City

Hockeyplayer99

Jul 31, 2005
The amount of money he makes he should be winning us games, not losing us games. He has lost us many games this year with his poor performance.

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
The amount of money he makes he should be winning us games, not losing us games. He has lost us many games this year with his poor performance.

He's protesting the horse**** defense, and I say more power to him until he gets the coach out of here. Of course he'll step it up in the playoffs but this team has a fundamental problem

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC

He's won plenty this season. This team is near the bottom of every measurable defensive stat. They're arguably not a playoff team without him.

ltrangerfan

Jul 24, 2010
Hank is still one of the best goalies playing today.

His stats have been phenomenal over his career. With that said, Hank has probably had the best defense/system in front of him for his entire career.

The current Ranger style does not match up defensively with recent Ranger teams thus
I suspect Hank will continue to be exposed. If I am right, His stats will likewise fail to meet prior years performance as fatigue starts to wear him down.

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
He's won plenty this season. This team is near the bottom of every measurable defensive stat. They're arguably not a playoff team without him.

Not even an argument.

To be clear here: Lundqvist is saving his team about half of a goal every game he plays – my estimate is that the 71 goals he’s actually conceded at 5-on-5 so far this season would look like 105 if a replacement-level goaltender was playing his minutes.

When you remember that one win is worth about six net goals, you realize Lundqvist has nearly added six wins alone to his club. And you don’t need to be a mathematician to know that if the Rangers were six wins in the hole, their 2015-16 story would look awfully different.

The Takeaway

There are a lot of fantastic goaltender stories out there this year, but let’s not forget about the one story that’s written the same way every single year – Henrik Lundqvist carrying an otherwise so-so New York Rangers team to another playoff berth by way of Vezina-calibre performance.

http://www.tsn.ca/lundqvist-quietly-continues-run-of-excellence-1.449738

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad