Player Discussion Henrik Lundqvist Pt. II

Status
Not open for further replies.

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
Do goalies ever get pulled because of their own play, or often, seems usually the team in front of them is having such an awful game it's like the coach is just doing the humane thing, or hoping his skater will somehow pull their heads out of their ...

Every time is unique, but being that NHL goaltenders are NHL goalies for a reason (they know how to stop pucks), its rare that they get pulled for missing on easy, low percentage shots.

Majority of the times a goalie is pulled is due to the breakdown of team defense in front of the goalie which leads to high percentage scoring plays (and usually results in goals) and is a tactic used to send a message to the rest of the team.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
id say the number of times henrik has been pulled because of his play can probably be counted on 2 fingers. this season its been the abomination in front of him thats been the root cause generally.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
"Most goalies get pulled because their defense sucks"

"Most of the kids who drop out of school had bad teachers"

Please.

The real answer: goaltending is a tough position and even the great ones can have bad games.

The incessant lionizing of Lundqvist is borderlining on creepy. Sorry. He's just a goalie people.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
"Most goalies get pulled because their defense sucks"

"Most of the kids who drop out of school had bad teachers"

Please.

The real answer: goaltending is a tough position and even the great ones can have bad games.

The incessant lionizing of Lundqvist is borderlining on creepy. Sorry. He's just a goalie people.

If goalies get pulled because their defense sucks, can we also say Nash doesn't score because his teammates suck?

Goalies get pulled, because they have a bad game. Sometimes, they let in goals because defense sucks that result in being pulled, but most of the time the goalie gets pulled because it's just not his day. It happens.

Him being pulled 8 times this season is higher than usual and of course some of those games it was caused by bad defense, but I refuse to blame the defense for all of it. Lundqvist is a great goalie, but he needs to learn to take responsibility for bad games.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
"... but he needs to learn to take responsibility for bad games."

Can you please find one single interview in 10 years, where he doesn't blame himself if the team loses? Good luck. Talk about thin air criticism.

Revel

Dark Sky Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2015
Dunning–Krugerville
Anyone hear anything about this?:

https://therangerzone.com/2016/04/11/breaking-henrik-lundqvist-leaves-practicetwice/

On Monday afternoon during the Rangers first practice before the playoffs, goaltender Henrik Lundqvist left the ice on two separate occasions and did not return after the second time.

The first time, Lundqvist skated off of the ice and to the locker room, forcing one of the equipment managers to scramble to get changed into goalie equipment. Lundqvist returned to the ice 14 minutes later and practiced for about five minutes. But he wound up going over to head coach Alain Vigneault, speaking to him briefly and leaving the ice for good, being replaced by an equipment manager. (All information from Pat Leonard on Twitter).

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Finished the year with a .9367 save percentage at 5v5.

Career high.

Since the (full) lockout only one goalie who played in 60 or more games finished a season with a better 5v5 sv% than that. Carey Price last year. Mike Smith in 11-12 also had a .9367 in 67 games.

Tell me more about this closing window.

Last edited:

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ

Career high.

Only one goalie who played in 60 or more games finished a season with a better 5v5 sv% than that. Carey Price last year. Mike Smith in 11-12 also had a .9367 in 67 games.

Seriously.

If the PK didn't suck so bad this year, we would be sitting pretty.

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
So if the chart agrees with your opinion, you like it :sarcasm:

I have nothing against analytics. But when they are used to try and determine the outcome of events that have thousands upon thousands of variables and random events, they don't always lead to accurate predictions. It doesn't discredit their utility in certain situations.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
I have nothing against analytics. But when they are used to try and determine the outcome of events that have thousands upon thousands of variables and random events, they don't always lead to accurate predictions. It doesn't discredit their utility in certain situations.

Just busting balls, man :)

Igor Shestyorkin

#26, the sickest of 'em all.
Apr 17, 2015
Moscow, RUS

Career high.

Since the (full) lockout only one goalie who played in 60 or more games finished a season with a better 5v5 sv% than that. Carey Price last year. Mike Smith in 11-12 also had a .9367 in 67 games.

But Lundqvist is an average goalie. :sarcasm:

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
I'd like to know how many high scoring chances he faced compared to the others.

According to War-On-Ice, Henrik Lundqvist made the most 5v5 high-danger saves this season.

You see generally, these things correlate.

However, in fairness, it should also be noted that Hank played the 5th most games of any goalie this season. So, that helps his raw number total shots faced and high danger saves.

Gordon Bombay

Remptar
Oct 13, 2006
According to War-On-Ice, Henrik Lundqvist made the most 5v5 high-danger saves this season.

You see generally, these things correlate.

However, in fairness, it should also be noted that Hank played the 5th most games of any goalie this season. So, that helps his raw number total shots faced and high danger saves.

Thank you I had a feeling it would be like that. I've gone up against guys all year for Hank and I really think this could be his best year yet. At least that stretch to start the year was the best hockey I think he's played.

Is there a way to correlate the mins played with shots faced and saves? I'd imagine it might not be accurate though as with more shots faced you have more odds of giving up goals which would lower say a save percentage.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
Ridiculous that this guy only has one Vezina, and we all know LOLtby is winning it this year, which pisses me off because it's not like he isn't deserving too, but...

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006

Career high.

I don't think you'll find anyone saying Lundqvist is declining right now.

The issue is that the team around him is crumbling and by the time they are built back up, it is very likely lundqvist's performance will slip.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad