Minimum 35 Games Played:

Henrik Lundqvist:

Wins: 5th
SV%: 6th
GAA: 10th
SO: 8th
Assists: 1st;)
PIM: 9th :)

I know a lot of goalies have cold stretches, but could you imagine his numbers if he were just simply bad instead of horrendous?

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Raanta's been a little hit or miss, but I also think we've been spoiled the last half decade with some particularly solid backups.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Maybe blessing in disguise giving Hank a week plus break??? Get Hank and Nash back with 10-15 games left and build up some continuity and momentum going into playoffs

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
It's amazing how long it took for someone to realize how insane of a season Lundqvist is having.

Career best at 5v5 right now.

Yup and he's right that it seems you never hear about Lundqvist, the only times you do is when he has a rare off night.

Every year there's a new flavor of the week (year) who then returns to career averages. Then there's Lundqvist, always at the top of the league every year.

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago
It's amazing how long it took for someone to realize how insane of a season Lundqvist is having.

Career best at 5v5 right now.

I'm not a conspiracy theorist, but it shouldn't go unnoticed that in the league's largest american market, without any clear vezina frontrunners anywhere statistically, he gets totally ignored. It's a shame. All anybody wants to talk about with the Rangers is the 'window.'

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
Excellent article. :yo:

Pretty bad article. It used facts and didn't talk about how the heroic top-5 defense in the league makes it easy for Lundqvist to cakewalk to the best goaltender in the NHL every year.

Seriously though, I still don't think he wins the Vezina because like most other awards sometimes it's more about the flash, and story than it is the actual on ice performance.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Lundqvist won't win a Vezina, unless he puts up some ungodly numbers in the last section of the season and a couple of competitors drop off. The Vezina is all about the numbers.

Considering the reputation the NYR defense has and the actual hell hole that they have displayed half this season, we won't have another Vezina. I'm of the firm belief the reputation Lundqvist has as a goalie that always plays bad during november/ december, has alot more to do with the actual team than him.

Which year did Lundqvist win the Vezina? The year the team pulled it together defensively, somewhat. They slided a bit along the last run, but meh. They actually pulled it together, defensively. But the other years? Can someone even resemble a thought of the last time the New York Rangers played solid hockey around november/ december (except the Vezina year)? It hasn't happened for eternity.

When the team plays like garbage for an extended period of time, every year, do you look at the franchise goalie trying to hold the camera straight in a Benny Hill scene, or do you look at the actors of the Benny Hill show? Lundqvist doesn't have that huge dips, all things included his bottom level isn't "AWFUL!", it's "quite solid". It's the team that plays some damn uninspiring hockey for large portions of the season, every season. No player can play perfect hockey for an entire season. But I don't look at Mr Consistency when I ponder about the team problems.

Mike Richter said: "No goalie can play better than his team allows him". Somewhat along those words. For an excellent goalie who played behind some very strong teams and a bunch of train wrecks, I think he got it right. A world class goalie can save the beacon most nights, but not a team playing like they're crawling in a ditch - for an extended period of time and not a game here and and a bunch there.

In fact, I would go as far as saying Lunqvist is an extremely consistent goaltender. He just happens to back that up with the stats to prove it. When he's on - which he is alot - the team must generally screw up royally if they don't get a win. If he's off, the team must just make their best not to look like absolute morons on the ice and do things right. That's HHOF goaltending according to me.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad