Post-Game Talk: Hell Sinks In - Panthers 4, Jets 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
I think he played that way the first two games of the season as well. I was really happy with his play. But he just sat a lot of the games getting cold on the bench.

I honestly think he needs to play a lot with more responsibility to play at his best. He seems to start games flying pretty good too, then sits due to penalties or whatever reason.

He was promised more minutes last year, but it hasn’t happened.

Last night might have been his best game ever. He was actually double shifted and relied on. I think he needs to feel more involved.

So how do you think that "promise" was communicated -
Something along the lines of "you get to play more minutes next next year - period"
or maybe "you get to play more minutes next year if we see the development that another year should bring"

A number of posters are throwing this up as if the Jets make their roster decisions based on "promises" -

Aside from that, I didn't catch either of the last 2 games but I hear Laine played well.
That's great news and should get him more minutes.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
That's fair, but completely false statements like "Wheeler has made sweet ****ing passes to vast majority of his NHL goals" irritate me. These things are easy to look up.

Ha! OK NEW RULE EVERYBODY!!! YOU HAVE TO LOOK UP EVERYTHING BEFORE YOU POST IT!!!!

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
That's fair, but completely false statements like "Wheeler has made sweet ****ing passes to vast majority of his NHL goals" irritate me. These things are easy to look up.

I don't know its even necessary to evaluate the quality level of passes as long as they get through to a goal scoring stick. By definition the quality of a pass is enough good if it is credited as an assist. What comes to wheelers passes to Laine, and in PPs particularly, I do not find reason for complains than that those passes doesn't always happen as often as possible even when there really exist good seam to make that pass. Sometimes its frustrating to watch guys pass the puck forth and back between each others like they would be trying hide their first priority intention and ultra-secret tactical PP-plan from opponents, while its clear for everyone, PK players and goalie included what's that priority plan is. :D

Reactions: Scheifelaine

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
I think Patrik Laine is probably top 5 most talented players in the NHL.

I don't think he has demonstrated that this year (mostly)

I think we saw in Helsinki the player that Patrik Laine is WHEN HE WANTS TO BE.

I want him to be that, more. There's nothing wrong with that.

I love Laine, I love that he is a Jet, BUT he needs to play that way every game.

I'll leave it at that.

I agree with all of that Jet. It’s up to Laine and the coach to get together and discuss what makes him tick. Laine needs to be honest with himself and Maurice to say what the difference was in these two games in Finland.

I personally think he needs to be more involved with less sitting on the bench. He seems to go cold doing that.

Lebrun was on the radio a little while ago saying that his TOI and linemates are absurd with a talent like that. Basically we are wasting him and not developing him to his full potential. I agree with that as well.

I’m not saying I know for sure what the answer is but him and Maurice better get together and figure it out because we could use more 5v5 goals.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
So how do you think that "promise" was communicated -
Something along the lines of "you get to play more minutes next next year - period"
or maybe "you get to play more minutes next year if we see the development that another year should bring"

A number of posters are throwing this up as if the Jets make their roster decisions based on "promises" -

Aside from that, I didn't catch either of the last 2 games but I hear Laine played well.
That's great news and should get him more minutes.
The first two games of this season he was flying but nothing changed regarding his TOI or responsibilities. That could have an affect on a person.

Honestly it’s not just Laine, Maurice is not using our abundance of talent to its fullest. We should be rolling through some teams with our roster.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Healthy scratch
Thank you.

I understand playing fresh players on a back to back like this, but why in the world would you sit someone who has proven to be your best conditioned player who already plays few minutes instead of the guy who is half the player and ended up costing us the game? Just silly.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
The first two games of this season he was flying but nothing changed regarding his TOI or responsibilities. That could have an affect on a person.

Honestly it’s not just Laine, Maurice is not using our abundance of talent to its fullest. We should be rolling through some teams with our roster.

He may have been looking for more than 2 games - regardless, I agree there are issues with TOI right now - pretty much across the roster.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
I agree with all of that Jet. It’s up to Laine and the coach to get together and discuss what makes him tick. Laine needs to be honest with himself and Maurice to say what the difference was in these two games in Finland.

I personally think he needs to be more involved with less sitting on the bench. He seems to go cold doing that.

Lebrun was on the radio a little while ago saying that his TOI and linemates are absurd with a talent like that. Basically we are wasting him and not developing him to his full potential. I agree with that as well.

I’m not saying I know for sure what the answer is but him and Maurice better get together and figure it out because we could use more 5v5 goals.

Might have something to do with Laine playing in front of his home crowd. Motivated.
Does he have another level? Does he need to better motivate himself to get to that level every night?

He's 20 - maybe this is an area he needs to work on.

I agree that he needs to be honest with himself and Maurice.

Reactions: Howard Chuck

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Size matters a lot, Petan-Roslovic get pushed around a lot.
I wouldn’t draft a forward unless he is 6-2.

IDK. You're passing on some of the best players in the league with that draft formula. Including a decent percentage of the Jets' forward corps.

Naturaledge

Dec 31, 2013
Just going to drop this "Road Apple" here and let someone else clean it up. I feel that our beloved Jets are an extremely talented team - a team that any Head-coach ought to be pissing in their pants to coach. In my HO, Coach Maurice has been ineffective with his line usage. Heck, I feel that he could just send out 4 lines, ignoring the opposition lines and be more effective. This Club has not had more talent across all 4 lines ever before and yet, I think sometimes that the 4th line gets less and less minutes. Bear in mind, I never check for facts, and when in doubt, I make up my own. :D The time on ice stat does tell me that Paul needs to re-evaluate his game plan. And, that's all I have to say about that. :thumbu: You're welcome in advance for this less than informative post.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
He may have been looking for more than 2 games - regardless, I agree there are issues with TOI right now - pretty much across the roster.
Yeah I’m not excusing his play after the first two games. I would just love to see everyone involved, figure this out. Laine very obviously has incredible talent and has the ability to be one of or the best players on the team if not in the league. For some reason he isn’t playing to his potential most games. That hurts him and the team.

jepjepjoo

Dec 31, 2002

Last year Laine had a stretch of 15 games when he scored 18g 26pts (13g 17pts EV). His avg ice-time during that stretch? 16:23

Reactions: Neuf

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Back on Canadian soil. At the Toronto airport waiting to head home to the Peg

The loss to the Panthers was tough to watch.
2 amazing goals followed by Lemieux’s self implosion and a complete lack of dangerous chances from the Jets.

We’ve been waiting for great starts from the Jets and we got one but that didn’t add up to what we wanted in the end.

Hoping for a better result on Friday.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I guess if we move the team to Helsinki we will win the cup! That will make for some crazy roadtrips though.

I am not surprised, but disappointed by peoples reactions to Lemieux, here. Yes he cost us the game, BUT - it's about development. If we are being as unbiased as possible, you have to admit that Lemieux has been very disciplined for the most part this year. He has actually been effective on the 4th line. Yesterday was a disappointing relapse for him BUT players who play that style play on the edge. Every player as they are developing have ups and downs. The key for Lemieux here is to learn from this. I think he has been developing nicely and he definitely has the skill to be a guy who can help the team if he continues to grow and develop.

You don't just give up on a player because their development line doesn't go straight up.

I personally have no time for players like Lemieux. I don't think they should be in the league but that is just my opinion. The problem is that there is a pattern going back to junior with him. How long do you wait for him to grow up. This is a kid who just has never got it.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
I personally have no time for players like Lemieux. I don't think they should be in the league but that is just my opinion. The problem is that there is a pattern going back to junior with him. How long do you wait for him to grow up. This is a kid who just has never got it.

Yes. I was really hoping for him to turn it around. This is the end of my support for him.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I really did not like that hit. I saw other angles, and I am not happy with it at all. Changed my opinion.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
Agree, and would love for him to be off the team if he had any trade value.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Honest question. Does the over-reaction to Lemieux making a mistake make us guilty of the same thing that we always accuse Maurice of? A double standard?
I can count the number of mistakes Lemieux has made through 8 games on one hand. It takes dozens of fingers to count up the mistakes make by any players named Myers, Laine, Ehlers, Trouba or Wheeler. Yet they never get benched. No matter how many giveaways the how many boneheaded plays, Paul Maurice keeps rewarding them with more ice time.
But a fourth liner makes a mistake (if he did) and he’s sent away never to be seen again.
The others making mistakes aren’t cheap shots or head shots.
Lemieux’s action was deliberate not a mistake.
It’s was selfish and probably cost us a win.
It’s indefensible.

Reactions: Pomee
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad