Boston Bruins 2024-25 Roster and Salary Cap Discussion II

Status
Not open for further replies.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
It was.

And you’re right. I’d say Stephenson ideally is a second line C. Can fill in at 1 if needed or if the fit is just right. And he’s a very different player to Charlie Coyle, who I’d suggest is ideally third line, but can fill in at 2 if needed or if the fit is just right.

I know everyone is clamouring for that top center… Hell, I want one too. But I don’t see one out there. Lindholm certainly isn’t one either.

But if the Bruins could somehow land Bertuzzi and Stephenson, that would be a massive speed upgrade to the top six with Stephenson AND a massive nasty upgrade in a known fit with Bertuzzi. And both are better scorers than the players they’re replacing.

It’s a start.

While Lindholm may not be the best #1C in the league, here he’d be a really good fit.

First, he’d likely do well with Pasta and Zacha.
Second, he wins draws, which they need.
Third, good defensively.
Lastly, if they somehow “luck into” a better #1C, then he can slot down and be a matchup problem.

DiggityDog

2 Minutes for Ruffing
Nov 2, 2019
I think the conversation about Elias Lindholm shouldn’t be “is he a number one center?”, I think it should be “is he an improvement over Zacha or Coyle in that position?”

Lindholm is likely going to be the best they can do in this free agent market, unless something out of the blue happens this offseason.

He’s a good center who has a strong two way game, can with important draws, and is good for 55-66 points a year. He would also allow Zacha to move to wing where I believe he is best suited. I think he would be a very good fit here, and he will only cost cap space. He’s currently 29 and will be 30 when his new deal starts.

He would be my target personally.

SPV

Zoinks!
Sponsor
Feb 4, 2003
New Hampshire
hfboards.com
I think the conversation about Elias Lindholm shouldn’t be “is he a number one center?”, I think it should be “is he an improvement over Zacha or Coyle in that position?”

Lindholm is likely going to be the best they can do in this free agent market, unless something out of the blue happens this offseason.

He’s a good center who has a strong two way game, can with important draws, and is good for 55-66 points a year. He would also allow Zacha to move to wing where I believe he is best suited. I think he would be a very good fit here, and he will only cost cap space. He’s currently 29 and will be 30 when his new deal starts.

He would be my target personally.
I like Lindholm or Stephenson added in addition to Zacha and Coyle, the depth of having those three down the middle is what would make the Bruins better next year than this year.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
I'm curious if SEA would have an interest to move Gourde. He's got 1yr left on his contract. They have more than enough cap space so that wouldn't motivate them. Gourde feels like a middle 6 guy that would be what this team needs. He's not the biggest guy, but he'll throw his body around, he blocks shots and give you mid 40's in points.
Not at 5 mil, he is 32 and has thrown his body around for someone else, 5ft 9 in 174 lbs who has thrown his body around for someone else.........complete pass, did you forget Backes

Reactions: bbfan419

bp14

Mar 17, 2022
I’m fine with moving on from Monty, and ok if they keep him. But if they do move him it will be due to playoff failures. You don’t replace such a coach with Quinn. That’s laughable. If you’re gonna make a move to get over the hump, you hire a guy who’s done that. Or at least gotten close.

Hiring another local coach would be an embarrassingly bad decision. Like late Sinden era bad.

Lord Ahriman

Oct 21, 2009
Vatrano grew up in Massachusetts, I think.

And, as much as we tend to obsess (me included) about pairings…with so much special teams I don’t worry about it as much.

You could also go

Zadorov - McAvoy
Lindholm - Peake
Lohrei - ??

I really don"t get this. Our defense wasn't good, however, Carlo, imo, was our best dman in playoffs.

My 2025 defense would be:

Zadorov - McAvoy
Lindholm - Carlo
Lohrei - Peeke

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario
I’m fine with moving on from Monty, and ok if they keep him. But if they do move him it will be due to playoff failures. You don’t replace such a coach with Quinn. That’s laughable. If you’re gonna make a move to get over the hump, you hire a guy who’s done that. Or at least gotten close.

Hiring another local coach would be an embarrassingly bad decision. Like late Sinden era bad.
I love claude wish he can comeback even as a assistant coach. There will be less errors back there.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
I really don"t get this. Our defense wasn't good, however, Carlo, imo, was our best dman in playoffs.

Zadorov - McAvoy
Lindholm - Carlo
Lohrei - Peeke
I think Zadarov going to get a big payday, would love him in Boston but don't see it. Really like what Wotherspoon and Peeke brought, two guys who give it their all. It'll be interesting to see what Sweeney and company do. I like Carlo but he makes a ton of mistakes when being pressured, really lacks the strength and physicality for such a big man, but as a number 4 I can live with him although I'd prefer to see him gone for a more tough hard to play against version of himself.

Reactions: Bodit9 and Gordoff

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
While Lindholm may not be the best #1C in the league, here he’d be a really good fit.

First, he’d likely do well with Pasta and Zacha.
Second, he wins draws, which they need.
Third, good defensively.
Lastly, if they somehow “luck into” a better #1C, then he can slot down and be a matchup problem.
Depends on what you’re paying him and for how long.

I think it’s making the same mistake that we make over and over again. Lindholm isn’t a #1C anymore. You’re paying a guy to play above his skill level and hoping he “fits”.

Then if a true One becomes available, you’re seriously handcuffing your ability to acquire him by committing $8M to a guy now slated to play second line.

“Well how do you expect Sweeney to do anything? He doesn’t have any cap space!” The excuses write themselves on repeat at this point.

Lord Ahriman

Oct 21, 2009

I think it’s making the same mistake that we make over and over again. Lindholm isn’t a #1C anymore. You’re paying a guy to play above his skill level and hoping he “fits”.

Then if a true One becomes available, you’re seriously handcuffing your ability to acquire him by committing $8M to a guy now slated to play second line.

“Well how do you expect Sweeney to do anything? He doesn’t have any cap space!” The excuses write themselves on repeat at this point.

That's a fair statement, but according your logic Stephenson shouldn't be a target as well. Both will get 8M easily in the offseason with so much money around the league this time and both not true 1C. I don't think they can trade for a better center, so either you get a borderline 1C or roll the dice with Coyle/Zacha. My opinion? Yeah, I don't wanna see Coyle/Zacha as our top centers again.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX

It remains to be seen what his ask is. It may be $8m, it may not. There is also the term involved, so $8x7 would be tough. 8x4 or 5 not so much. The guy is better than what we have now, no question, so whether he is a " true 1C" or not seems to me to be less relevant. Coyle has 2 seasons left, Frederic and Geekie 1 each, so if that 1c guy becomes available, whoever that may be, it could be doable. Not to mention other moves and changes that can happen in the next year or two. If we assume Lindholm is getting 8x7 into a roster vacuum, yeah it is kind of scary, but I'd like to see what the real contract would look like and how the rest of the roster is built before shooting it down.

FWIW, I am a fan of acquiring the guy and hope it happens, but I also get the risks involved and why you might shy away from him.

Reactions: Mr. Make-Believe

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003

I understand that perspective.

My only counter is that I’d estimate that at least 70% of teams don’t have a first line where every single player would be a first liner on every team.
(If that makes any sense)

So sometimes it’s more about fit, how each player or line effects the rest of the team, and who is available when.

In this case, Pasta is a no doubt first liner for at least 95% of teams.

Zacha, probably 60% and Lindholm, probably 70%. But together they could be dynamic.

I keep coming back to the Trochek situation. So many people said he’d get overpaid and would bust, but I believe 100% if they signed him, we’d have watched a game 7 last night.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003

Zadorov - McAvoy
Lindholm - Carlo
Lohrei - Peeke

Just spitballing based on what I feel we need and who might be available and how marketable Carlo might be.

Not married to it.

Also, part of me thinks we’ll see an unexpected trade or two.

Mr. Make-Believe

That's a fair statement, but according your logic Stephenson shouldn't be a target as well. Both will get 8M easily in the offseason with so much money around the league this time and both not true 1C. I don't think they can trade for a better center, so either you get a borderline 1C or roll the dice with Coyle/Zacha. My opinion? Yeah, I don't wanna see Coyle/Zacha as our top centers again.
If Stephenson is $8M/yr, I’m out on him too.

I don’t fancy going into next season with those two at one and two either. But signing either Stephenson or Lindholm for $50M to solve that problem is drying your socks with a flame thrower.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Not at 5 mil, he is 32 and has thrown his body around for someone else, 5ft 9 in 174 lbs who has thrown his body around for someone else.........complete pass, did you forget Backes

It's a 1yr deal lol. People on these boards kick and scream about adding grit and then when someone is suggested it's "not that guy"

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
I think Zadarov going to get a big payday, would love him in Boston but don't see it. Really like what Wotherspoon and Peeke brought, two guys who give it their all. It'll be interesting to see what Sweeney and company do. I like Carlo but he makes a ton of mistakes when being pressured, really lacks the strength and physicality for such a big man, but as a number 4 I can live with him although I'd prefer to see him gone for a more tough hard to play against version of himself.
It’s hard for me to process anyone who watched Brandon Carlo in the playoffs this year not think he’s tough to play against. He was awesome.

Mr. Make-Believe

I understand that perspective.

My only counter is that I’d estimate that at least 70% of teams don’t have a first line where every single player would be a first liner on every team.
(If that makes any sense)

So sometimes it’s more about fit, how each player or line effects the rest of the team, and who is available when.

In this case, Pasta is a no doubt first liner for at least 95% of teams.

Zacha, probably 60% and Lindholm, probably 70%. But together they could be dynamic.

I keep coming back to the Trochek situation. So many people said he’d get overpaid and would bust, but I believe 100% if they signed him, we’d have watched a game 7 last night.
Trochek I’m with you on. Love that guy and would have loved to nab him.

Big differences though between them.

Trochek wasn’t signed to be their #1C. He wasn’t signed after coming off the worst season in his last six years, failing to be a productive top six forward on two different teams. And he wasn’t signed for $8M/yr on a long term deal at the age of 30.

I don’t dislike Lindholm. Before this season, I would have gone all in to acquire him. But it smells too much like David Backes to me. But twice the risk.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Trochek I’m with you on. Love that guy and would have loved to nab him.

Big differences though between them.

Trochek wasn’t signed to be their #1C. He wasn’t signed after coming off the worst season in his last six years, failing to be a productive top six forward on two different teams. And he wasn’t signed for $8M/yr on a long term deal at the age of 30.

I don’t dislike Lindholm. Before this season, I would have gone all in to acquire him. But it smells too much like David Backes to me. But twice the risk.

Fair enough.

I’m not as concerned, but I definitely see your side.

I only hope for three things this off season:

1. Three new forwards who can score (2, if JDB is back)
2. At least one legit tough guy who can play.
3. They pick the right 3/4 guys above.

Lord Ahriman

Oct 21, 2009
Let's say we "are out" on Stephenson/Lindholm. I'm pretty sure nobody in here is willing to watch Coyle/Zacha as our top centers again, do we roll the dice trying a short term deal to Duchene? My main concern there will be tons of cash this time and most ufa's will be severely overpaid (and as I said before the only guy I'd be ok is Zadorov).

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019

Fluto been wrong plenty.

Let's say we "are out" on Stephenson/Lindholm. I'm pretty sure nobody in here is willing to watch Coyle/Zacha as our top centers again, do we roll the dice trying a short term deal to Duchene? My main concern there will be tons of cash this time and most ufa's will be severely overpaid (and as I said before the only guy I'd be ok is Zadorov).
Pastrnak is going to be a huge selling point to Lindholm.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Reinhart interests me alot but why would he come here?

FA class is weak. Maybe sign a few guys to short term deals and wait for next years. Idk if its any better tho.

Cant see anyone coming here unless overpaid.

Not really on the Lindholm hype
#1 C target Lindholm and #2 Stephenson.

Reactions: Bodit9
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad