Hearing for Torres on Stoll hit (Thurs 9am PT, NYC; w/DW); out for rest of WCSF

Status
Not open for further replies.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Although the punishment would actually have been fitting for the person and the crime given how they justified it, it isn't exactly within their power to do. If they file a grievance, they should be able to get the suspension nullified. He would have to serve a couple games, I would bet and it's possible it would be moot but the PA is not going to let this suspension fly. It doesn't matter whether they can appeal the suspension. They should file a grievance for a CBA violation.

Whenever the Commissioner determines that a Player has violated a League Rule applicable to
Players (other than Rules subjecting the Player to potential on-ice discipline), or has been guilty of
conduct (whether during or outside the playing season) that is detrimental to or against the welfare of
the League or the game of hockey, he may discipline such Player in any or all of the following
respects:

a) by expelling or suspending such Player for a definite or indefinite period;

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Whenever the Commissioner determines that a Player has violated a League Rule applicable to
Players (other than Rules subjecting the Player to potential on-ice discipline), or has been guilty of
conduct (whether during or outside the playing season) that is detrimental to or against the welfare of
the League or the game of hockey, he may discipline such Player in any or all of the following
respects:

a) by expelling or suspending such Player for a definite or indefinite period;

1. This isn't the commissioner handing down this suspension. 2. The rest of the series is neither definite nor indefinite technically. lol 3. This particular reference specifically says that what you're citing is not meant for on-ice discipline. The parenthesis part.

exchequer

Apr 21, 2006
i don't see how the head was targeted. stoll would have been knocked out flatter than he was.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
Sharks should appeal to the commissioner. Reason is that Shannyfanny is using Torres prior acts to rule whether it was an illegal hit or not. He is clearly surmising the intent was a head shot based on Torres' past. I don't believe there is anything in the rules that allow this, only for assessing the penalty.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
I don't think Torres did at all.

tumblr_inline_mmx0kaRo0b1qz4rgp.gif

It looked shoulder to shoulder to me. But I'm just angry as ****.

That's a butt check but Stoll was stupid enough to bend over in the NHL. You can see Torres extend his hips just prior to contact on the shoulder.

I can understand the league wanting to avoid head injuries, but this is a contact sport. Clearly, the league is assuming the head was Torres' target just on who is he, or his prior rubs with the NHL law. However, the rules do not allow that.

If the NHL wants to consider prior penalties in determining if it was a legal hit or not, they should change the rules to allow it. Else, man up, and free Torres.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
I don't think Torres did at all.

tumblr_inline_mmx0kaRo0b1qz4rgp.gif

It looked shoulder to shoulder to me. But I'm just angry as ****.

That's a butt check but Stoll was stupid enough to bend over in the NHL. You can see Torres extend his hips just prior to contact on the shoulder.

I can understand the league wanting to avoid head injuries, but this is a contact sport. Clearly, the league is assuming the head was Torres' target just on who is he, or his prior rubs with the NHL law. However, the rules do not allow that.

If the NHL wants to consider prior penalties in determining if it was a legal hit or not, they should change it. Or else, man up, and free Torres.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Pen's fan here. That suspension was bull****. When is the onus on the player with the puck to not put himself in a vulnerable position? Don't bend over with your head down if you don't want to get popped. Not to mention that Torres went for and hit the shoulder first. And in Shanny's explanation he mentioned how Torres should have hit the shoulder more directly. Okay except if he did that it would have been the back of Stoll's shoulder spinning him around to hit head first into the boards causing a boarding penalty.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
Has the Kings given more information other than "undisclosed and day to day" for Stoll? I cannot find any out on the internet. Something smells here and I am beginning to think LA is trading Stolls for Torres knowing we lack depth right now due to injuries. If the commish overturns Torres' suspension today, I bet that Stoll comes back.

NHL needs to update their rules for disclosing injuries other than "undisclosed", "upper body", and "lower body" crap.

Hold the Pickles

Aug 16, 2003
03-K64
What bugs me is that if stoll kept the same position when raffi started the hit, he wouldn't have even hit his head at all. Instead, stoll lifts his head in the path of the hit at the last moment and raffi still connects with the shoulder 1st.

Unfortunate play, not dirty not supension worthy, maybe not even penalty worthy... Total BS, clearly no intention to hit the head.

hockeyfan53

May 17, 2013
What bugs me is that if stoll kept the same position when raffi started the hit, he wouldn't have even hit his head at all. Instead, stoll lifts his head in the path of the hit at the last moment and raffi still connects with the shoulder 1st.

Unfortunate play, not dirty not supension worthy, maybe not even penalty worthy... Total BS, clearly no intention to hit the head.

That makes no sense. If Stoll raised up Torres would have hit Stolls body and not his head.

People can make all the excuses they want for Torres, but he bears responsibility for this.

What he did was like getting in front of a cop, drunk, after three DUIs. Just not smart. He's dangerous.

CBJenga

May 30, 2008
That makes no sense. If Stoll raised up Torres would have hit Stolls body and not his head.

It actually does make sense, Torres was aiming at a spot that would have been shoulder, except that Stoll changed the angle he was leaning, so instead of being shoulder/upper arm(torres) to shoulder it became shoulder to glance shoulder to head. Think about a triangle with a fixed hypotenuse, if you increase the angle between the hypotenuse and the base, the base becomes shorter.

Timos Death Stare

Seek and Destroy
Aug 9, 2008
CA

People can make all the excuses they want for Torres, but he bears responsibility for this.

What he did was like getting in front of a cop, drunk, after three DUIs. Just not smart. He's dangerous.

This is laughable. Probably one of the harshest suspensions vs acts on ice I've ever seen. It's clearly punishing the player for his past, and not the hit itself.

Torres has shaped up - even before he was on the Sharks I took note of it this year when we played Phoenix.

Officer1473

MMA Skills
Apr 28, 2010

It's more like getting caught singing in a kareoke bar. Because singing is expected in a kareoke bar, but because it's in a bar, it's assumed that he's drunk.

There were people who had a higher BAC than him, or sang worse. But he was arrested because of the three DUIs.

Tkachuk4MVP

32 Years of Fail
Apr 15, 2006
San Diego, CA

If Stoll stays crouched then Torres hits Stoll in the "core" that Shanahan references multiple times in the suspension video. When he raises up he gives Torres less to hit and so the shoulder alone absorbs the brunt of the initial contact.

The last thing I'll say about this is that if you ask non-SJ/LA fans (even the ones that hate Torres), the large majority think it was a BS suspension. That should tell you all you need to know.

SJGoalie32

Apr 7, 2007
TealTown, USA
When is the onus on the player with the puck to not put himself in a vulnerable position?

The onus is on the player not to put himself in position that leaves himself vulnerable to injury from a legal check. He has no obligation to protect himself from an illegal check. The responsibility for ensuring that a check is legal and clean is on the hitter, not the hittee.

And in Shanny's explanation he mentioned how Torres should have hit the shoulder more directly. Okay except if he did that it would have been the back of Stoll's shoulder spinning him around to hit head first into the boards causing a boarding penalty.

If the only two possible options from Torres' position on the ice were an illegal boarding penalty or an illegal head shot, then he should not have delivered any hit at all.

Boarding and head shot are not the only two viable options when on the ice.

SJGoalie32

Apr 7, 2007
TealTown, USA
Torres has shaped up - even before he was on the Sharks I took note of it this year when we played Phoenix.

Shaped up? How do you arrive at that conclusion?

Because he didn't decapitate anybody during his first month back from suspension?

He went less than one lockout-shortened season without causing serious injury via an illegal headshot. That's "shaping up?"

Even Lindsay Lohan is occasionally able to drive to the supermarket and back without getting a DUI or crashing into anybody.

Even Hannibal Lecter didn't eat EVERY single person he ever came in contact with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad