Hearing for Torres on Stoll hit (Thurs 9am PT, NYC; w/DW); out for rest of WCSF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Although the punishment would actually have been fitting for the person and the crime given how they justified it, it isn't exactly within their power to do. If they file a grievance, they should be able to get the suspension nullified. He would have to serve a couple games, I would bet and it's possible it would be moot but the PA is not going to let this suspension fly. It doesn't matter whether they can appeal the suspension. They should file a grievance for a CBA violation.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Absolutely my opinion as well.

The video explanation even pushed me over to the dirty hit camp, if we had that same hit happen to couture by someone like cooke, we'd be calling for an electric chair.

This is simply a very expected outcome to signing someone with arguably the worst reputation in the league as a intent to injure head hunting player.

speak for yourself, if this hit was thrown by torres on couture/pavs, i would be applauding him and telling pavs and couture to keep there heads up. oh right i was in 2005-06 when he lit up michalek like a christmas tree.

this was a hard hit, nothing more nothing less. but shanahan and the nhl want to wimpify the nhl to the point where the likes of scott stevens would of been banned for life in today's nhl if he still played.

lsx

Oct 19, 2010
Sonoma County, CA
No we wouldn't. Most of the outcry for the very similar Penner hit was in context of the Torres hit. We expect hard, vicious hits in the playoffs. Or we should.

Glancing blow with his head snapping back and resulting in lost games & a concussion?

Either you're lying or you don't understand how there can still be good hits without the brain damage.

lsx

Oct 19, 2010
Sonoma County, CA
speak for yourself, if this hit was thrown by torres on couture/pavs, i would be applauding him and telling pavs and couture to keep there heads up. oh right i was in 2005-06 when he lit up michalek like a christmas tree.

this was a hard hit, nothing more nothing less. but shanahan and the nhl want to wimpify the nhl to the point where the likes of scott stevens would of been banned for life in today's nhl if he still played.

You're blinded because torres isn't just some goon on another team anymore, he's a shark and so it must be a clean hit right?

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Glancing blow with his head snapping back and resulting in lost games & a concussion?

Either you're lying or you don't understand how there can still be good hits without the brain damage.

good hard open ice hits like this is going the way of the dinosaurs, any time there is an open ice hit there is either a call for a suspsension or the hit gets dissected to no ends of was it a hit to the head.

people keep bringing up the blues vs kings series how there was houndreds of hits in that series, but not 1 of them can pin point a hard clean open ice hit in that series.

another thing to go along with this point, how often are these suspensions for hits to the heads when it is players being hit against the boards? gonna guess maybe 1 or 2 and it was a flying elbow that caused it.

LeftHeartInSF

Left Heart In SF
Dec 1, 2011
San Francisco/Boston
This suspension is ********. I'm not saying that because I'm going all homer, I am saying it because the hit was to the shoulder first, and Torres can't control how Stoll moves his body to defend against the hit to the shoulder. Stoll braces himself for the hit at the last minute and that little movement means he gets hit in the head more than the shoulder. To put Raffi out for the whole series on that sucks.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
You're blinded because torres isn't just some goon on another team anymore, he's a shark and so it must be a clean hit right?

this was my facebook post the minute i found out that torres was a shark.

Well mother ******, piece of mother ******* ****, raffi torres is now a shark, what the **** wilson you were doing so great at dealing away the ******* useless players off the team. just to turn around and trade for the biggest piece of **** in the entire nhl. Mother ******* hell, this pisses me off.

that line of thinking has never gone away, i still hate the piece of trash. but my hatred for him can be put away, just like it can be for any one in the league if its needed.

and like i said in my post you quoted, i had/still have no issues with his hit on michalek in the playoffs against the oilers. just another clean hard open ice hit, that makes every single one of the sharks fans turn purple with rage any time it gets brought up.

Paka Ono

Pro Ice Girl Scout
Jun 29, 2011
SF

Come on man...

I still not on the Torres bandwagon, but even I won't deny that the suspension handed down is bs. There were way more blatant head shots in the NYR/WSH and BOS/TOR series that didn't even get considered yet Torres gets nailed for a hit that most of the hockey world says is questionable at best.

If the NHL was consistent with the punishment handed out, most of the people in this thread would not be as vocal as they are.

lsx

Oct 19, 2010
Sonoma County, CA
Come on man...

I still not on the Torres bandwagon, but even I won't deny that the suspension handed down is bs. There were way more blatant head shots in the NYR/WSH and BOS/TOR series that didn't even get considered yet Torres gets nailed for a hit that most of the hockey world says is questionable at best.

If the NHL was consistent with the punishment handed out, most of the people in this thread would not be as vocal as they are.

Consistency is a different issue, and I have no problem complaining about that myself. But simply as explained in the video I can understand their justification for this suspension under the rule...ESPECIALLY considering that raffi is a multiple repeat offender. He needed to keep his nose extra clean, and he didn't.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
the fact that they suspended him for the "series" and not a set amount just shows that even the nhl didn't know what to do with this.

they didn't/couldn't suspend him for 1 or 2 games because that would piss off the kings and any of the wimpified crowd the nhl now has that wants every hit suspended.

and they realized that if they suspended him for a long time 6+ games people would realize that this was not a suspend the hit, it was a suspend the players past history.

ChompChomp

Can't wait for Sharks hockey to return someday
Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX
the fact that they suspended him for the "series" and not a set amount just shows that even the nhl didn't know what to do with this.

they didn't/couldn't suspend him for 1 or 2 games because that would piss off the kings and any of the wimpified crowd the nhl now has that wants every hit suspended.

and they realized that if they suspended him for a long time 6+ games people would realize that this was not a suspend the hit, it was a suspend the players past history.

The easy fix is/was 4 games then. If the Kings sweep (hope not, knock on wood), then Bettman just shortens it by one.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California

And to make sure the series doesn't implode. Its just tough to swallow.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I'm pretty sure the wording "as a general matter", which implies to me that it is not absolutely mandatory to have a set number of games.

I can see that being the NHL's argument but then they'd have to support why it wasn't a general matter and that's not something I feel they could support.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad