Hearing for Torres on Stoll hit (Thurs 9am PT, NYC; w/DW); out for rest of WCSF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sleepy

rEf jOsE
Apr 7, 2009
Hahaha. Would be funny if after all the dirty hits he got away with he gets suspended for the clean one.

luongo321

Apr 12, 2011
This league has such a double-standard. That was such a clean hit by Torres. I am so sick of this league.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
JSportsnet 9:40am via Twitter for BlackBerry®

Confirmation. Torres will have a hearing.

Reputation hearing. May result in nothing or fine (or suspension).

ChubbChubby

Using tilt controls!
Nov 28, 2009
San Francisco, CA
Well we expected that much based on his reputation alone.

He shouldn't get anything though, and it will be laughable if he did. He even let up on the hit and could have really hurt Stoll if he truly wanted.

ChubbChubby

Using tilt controls!
Nov 28, 2009
San Francisco, CA
Just because he has a hearing doesn't mean he will be suspended. Most head injury cases will get a hearing regardless, and it's Torres.

It's almost unanimously agreed upon by experts and fans that it was a clean hit that might not even have deserved the charging penalty. I'm expecting a warning just to keep Torres in check so he doesn't step over the line later in the series, but you never know with Shanahan.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Just because he has a hearing doesn't mean he will be suspended. Most head injury cases will get a hearing regardless, and it's Torres.

It's almost unanimously agreed upon by experts and fans that it was a clean hit that might not even have deserved the charging penalty. I'm expecting a warning just to keep Torres in check so he doesn't step over the line later in the series, but you never know with Shanahan.

Kerry Fraser on TSN said it's suspension worthy.

PlaywithGutz*

Pinners hit was just a hard...

Here is a clip of the hit..it was an obvious shoulder first..

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
Paul Bissonnette ‏@BizNasty2point0 5m

I must be seeing something different. That Torres hit wasn't a charge. The puck comes off the wall to Stoll as Torres is a few feet away.

AJ SF4L

#GoSharks
Sep 1, 2011
San Jose
The only replay I can find is the one on Puck Daddy, and all that shows is a shoulder-to-shoulder with Stoll's head snapping back after contact. Maybe the follow through of the hit catches a piece, maybe it's Torres's helmet banging off of Stoll's, or maybe it's just momentum.

Honestly, this is purely reputation. Any other Shark makes the same hit and the refs/league would ignore it. If Torres gets a fine for some made-up reason I'll live, but missing games would be a joke. There have been far worse hits in the playoffs that have been completely ignored so far, so this is purely about prosecuting Torres when given the opportunity, no matter how weak said opportunity is.

I'd love to see Fraser's view, or even from more than one angle. It's frustrating not to know what the hit looks like from all sides.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
fraser is completely wrong. saying the principle point of contact is the head? just absolutely wrong.

all whiplash there.

luongo321

Apr 12, 2011

:laugh: I wonder if it had anything to do with the fact that it was Torres. :shakehead

If they are going to suspend this then the NHL needs to seriously look at suspending attempted blatant intents to injure. I know this would be hard to prove in most cases which is why I think that it should be reserved for missed hits that are obviously dirty. For example, Dustin Brown's attempted flying elbow/knee combo hit from the previous series. He missed the elbow to the head, but his intention was crystal clear. It blows my mind that nothing can come of that. 'Hey, if he connected he'd be suspended, but since he missed it we will completely ignore it.' That is no way to send a message and protect players.

Clarkington III

Rebuild? Refresh?
Aug 3, 2007
San Diego
:thumbd:

Any other player, this isn't being talked about.

If Stoll didn't whip his head back, this isn't being talked about.

If Stoll wasn't injured, this isn't being talked about.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
:thumbd:

Any other player, this isn't being talked about.

If Stoll didn't whip his head back, this isn't being talked about.

If Stoll wasn't injured, this isn't being talked about.

I hope Stoll isn't hurt bad, but the Kings were up and holding at the time. I wouldn't be surprised if Sutter kept him out to try and get Torres suspended. He's not stupid and knows Torres has a rep and a catalyst to the Sharks resurgence. Taking him out would certainly help the Kings win the series.

Hatrick Marleau

Just Win The Game
May 16, 2012
@TSNBobMcKenzie: SJ's Raffi Torres will have disciplinary hearing with NHL for hit on LA's Jarret Stoll. Sounds like request is for an in-person hearing.

Does that mean he might miss game 2? Since it is in person?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad