Head Coaching Thread | Friedman: "[other suitor] hearing that a deal was done"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Babcock, McLellan, Nelson, anyone else potentially in contention? I hope that through it all that Chia is in contact with Nelson and that he stays with the team and is rewarded for the work that he has done in our org to date.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Babcock, McLellan, Nelson, anyone else potentially in contention? I hope that through it all that Chia is in contact with Nelson and that he stays with the team and is rewarded for the work that he has done in our org to date.

Apparently Peter DeBoar has been interviewed as well

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I am somewhat shocked to say this but I think I would now put McLellan above Babcock for the Oilers job. My gut tells me that he fits the Oilers personnel better than Babcock and that with the league seemingly changing he might be better able to adjust.

PinSeeker

Really narrowed his eyyyyyyyyyesssssss
Aug 22, 2005
YLW
Babcock is about so much more than coaching though. It would be a major coup for this org to get McDavid, Chia, and Babcock in one off season.

We instantly become attractive to Free Agents

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Babcock is about so much more than coaching though. It would be a major coup for this org to get McDavid, Chia, and Babcock in one off season.

We instantly become attractive to Free Agents

That is true. And he is a great coach.

But ultimately it has to be about improvement on the ice. Babcock's style is much more conservative and traditional. MY only concern is whether or not that fits with the players they will have. It worked with the Olympic Team but they also had great defensemen and one of the best goalies in the world.

Wheathead

Formally a McRib
Apr 4, 2008
Saskatoon
Babcock or McLellan, it doesn't matter which one.

But lets think about this for a moment. Lets say Babcock and McLellan go elsewhere, and Nelson gets pissed and walks... Then what?

Would this place be interested in a Jeff Blashill? (Wings highly regarded AHL coach) An AHL coach from a successful NHL organization beats following the Toronto hype train to your next head coach.

PinSeeker

Really narrowed his eyyyyyyyyyesssssss
Aug 22, 2005
YLW

But ultimately it has to be about improvement on the ice. Babcock's style is much more conservative and traditional. MY only concern is whether or not that fits with the players they will have. It worked with the Olympic Team but they also had great defensemen and one of the best goalies in the world.

Same thing was said of trotz going to Washington. They are wayyyy more suited to win in the playoffs now than previous years.

I see it as a very good thing

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008

I've got the same feeling as you wrt McLellan vs Babcock.

However,one hopes that Babcock could adopt his coaching to the roster he has.

Uindicator

Sep 27, 2010
one thing is for sure and that is if Babcock is hired he is going to demand a top end defenceman or two ala a lidstrom/rafalski calibre , might have to give up some good assets , and I hope he doesn't play a too defensive style.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
Babcock or McLellan, it doesn't matter which one.

But lets think about this for a moment. Lets say Babcock and McLellan go elsewhere, and Nelson gets pissed and walks... Then what?

Would this place be interested in a Jeff Blashill? (Wings highly regarded AHL coach) An AHL coach from a successful NHL organization beats following the Toronto hype train to your next head coach.

a) He's under contract

b) MacT was actually good about this one. He never once promised a head coaching position. He offered an interim position, with the expectation to interview at the end of the season.

c) Nelson was given the chance to interview with other teams in the summer and didn't get hired. We gave him that opportunity, and then this year we gave him the opportunity to show that he's an nhl head coach. The result is he either stays with us, or very likely lands a job with another club. Again, should be thankful.

JetsOilersfan

Feb 4, 2012
I've got the same feeling as you wrt McLellan vs Babcock.

However,one hopes that Babcock could adopt his coaching to the roster he has.

That's it right there. It's not Babcock's style per say, it's the team he has to work with, or the situation he's in. I don't think he looks our current roster, with McDavid coming in, and says "Oh yeah, we'll put a trap system in and win the cup". No matter where he ends up, he will coach that team to their strengths. That's what a good coach does (See Dallas Eakins) he doesn't try to pound the proverbial square peg in to the round hole.

Though I'd be thrilled with either McCLellan or Babcock. I would be disappointed with Nelson. Sorry boys, he didn't set the world on fire prior to coming here, he didn't win 'championships' in OKC, and the Oilers still played like crap under him (look at the 8 - 2 loss to LA, the twisting in the wind LB was in that loss to San Jose, and losing to Vcr's AHL team in the last game of the reg season). Now, granted, we had a lot of injuries ourselves true. But, I didn't see anything spectacular from him either.

Nope, not in this off season, DeBoer, Carlyle, Crawford, potentially Hitchcock and Julien, plus the aforementioned Babcock and McClellan, no way Nelson should be our next HC.

Let him go back to Bakersfield I say. Finish off his coaching contract.

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
Heres my 2 cents....

On McLellan vs Babcock: McLellans system feeds off a good PP and inflates shots on net and possession by increasing shot attempts, essentially what Eakins was doing trying to raise Corsi, but McLellan actually knows how to execute it. The issue is while this makes his teams deadly offensively it doesn't lend itself to the playoffs, the results level out over a full season to win more game but a 7 game series tends to cause a lot of variation. Scrivens ~60 save shutout last year showed that if you block shots and your goalie stands on his head its easy to counter that, its worth mentioning that SJS had attempted like 88-90 shots that night. Also of note that from my time watching his teams that this has always been his system.

Enter Babcock. Hes played multiple different systems, from team canada, to various systems in detroit his tight checking(Forecheck, back check and finish your checks) has never gotten him a presidents trophy since he had ample skill and depth on his roster to work with, but it has gotten them into the playoffs, even when the roster shouldnt have sniffed the playoffs. It wears opponents down and his offense through defense system actually creates just as much offense as any other. Look at how Ovechkin has reacted to a similar system in WSH, take into account the good work hes done with youth in Detroit. I wouldn't have any doubt that our young guys could learn how to play right and theyd finally have that coach that you respect too much to not listen, similar to Pat Quinn.

As for Nelson, hes been a positive influence since coming in, he should be on this coaching staff, if McLellan is hired hes bringing his guy in so its Ramsay vs Nelson, id guess in that situation Nelson gets a job from another team or goes back to our AHL affiliate. I can see Babcock letting Acton go and putting Nelson in that position but its hard to know.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Same thing was said of trotz going to Washington. They are wayyyy more suited to win in the playoffs now than previous years.

I see it as a very good thing

This is a legitimate point but I never really had the feeling that Trotz would have an issue in Washington. His big asset has always been communication and the fact that he gets the absolute most out of his players. He never really had any offense to mold in Nashville. In any case, it is just a gut feeling, nothing I can back up with a lot of evidence.

Yeah15

2nd Tier Fan
Mar 15, 2007

*M*J*D*

Mar 9, 2003
Regina, Sask, CANADA
This is a legitimate point but I never really had the feeling that Trotz would have an issue in Washington. His big asset has always been communication and the fact that he gets the absolute most out of his players. He never really had any offense to mold in Nashville. In any case, it is just a gut feeling, nothing I can back up with a lot of evidence.

Any chance we get Babcock as head coach and Mclleland as Associate? Katz has the bucks.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
That's it right there. It's not Babcock's style per say, it's the team he has to work with, or the situation he's in. I don't think he looks our current roster, with McDavid coming in, and says "Oh yeah, we'll put a trap system in and win the cup". No matter where he ends up, he will coach that team to their strengths. That's what a good coach does (See Dallas Eakins) he doesn't try to pound the proverbial square peg in to the round hole.

Though I'd be thrilled with either McCLellan or Babcock. I would be disappointed with Nelson. Sorry boys, he didn't set the world on fire prior to coming here, he didn't win 'championships' in OKC, and the Oilers still played like crap under him (look at the 8 - 2 loss to LA, the twisting in the wind LB was in that loss to San Jose, and losing to Vcr's AHL team in the last game of the reg season). Now, granted, we had a lot of injuries ourselves true. But, I didn't see anything spectacular from him either.

Nope, not in this off season, DeBoer, Carlyle, Crawford, potentially Hitchcock and Julien, plus the aforementioned Babcock and McClellan, no way Nelson should be our next HC.

Let him go back to Bakersfield I say. Finish off his coaching contract.

I would take Nelson over any of the guys you mentioned other than McLellan and Babcock. Nelson did a great job in OKC. He had to deal with constant changes to the roster and seldom had as much talent as teams the Baron's beat.

You can quote the 8-2 loss to LA where at least 5 of the goals were very stoppable but they also beat LA down the stretch with a defense that consisted of Schultz and 5 other guys who were in the HL fro all or part of the year.

BTW Crawford's last NHL playoff appearance was in 2004.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
I would say Nelson has earned an opportunity to be a full time NHL HC and I'm sure if he asked to talk to other teams the Oilers would let him.

But just because he earned said opportunity doesn't mean anybody is going to offer him one.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
McLellan is impressing me a lot with his coaching at the Worlds.

Most Team Canada coaches in the past have kind of taken it half-seriously and not really gotten the most out of what should be pretty talented rosters.

TM is giving it his all. Definitely serious about winning.

The dude just wins no matter where he coaches.

JetsOilersfan

Feb 4, 2012
I would take Nelson over any of the guys you mentioned other than McLellan and Babcock. Nelson did a great job in OKC. He had to deal with constant changes to the roster and seldom had as much talent as teams the Baron's beat.

You can quote the 8-2 loss to LA where at least 5 of the goals were very stoppable but they also beat LA down the stretch with a defense that consisted of Schultz and 5 other guys who were in the HL fro all or part of the year.

BTW Crawford's last NHL playoff appearance was in 2004.

You're not the only one. A lot of people seem to be in love with the guy. IDC about the 'bad goals' because then I'd argue right back that Dallas Eakins had more than his fair share of 'bad goals' against as well.

It's not that I don't like Nelson - I just don't think he'd be the right guy for this team. But I do get where you are coming from, and if he is hired, and if all the other coaches mentioned are hired somewhere else, and if by February we are in 28th place and all the teams with all there new coaches are in the top 18, I'm sure you'd be the first one to defend the Nelson hiring with all those experienced coaches we passed up ;)

Though, hate to break it to you, we'll never know. Because either Babcock or McClellan will be our next Head Coach. I guarantee you that. I would like to see Nelson as an Associate coach but won't happen under McClellan and I have no issues with anyone Babcock chooses.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
You're not the only one. A lot of people seem to be in love with the guy. IDC about the 'bad goals' because then I'd argue right back that Dallas Eakins had more than his fair share of 'bad goals' against as well.

It's not that I don't like Nelson - I just don't think he'd be the right guy for this team. But I do get where you are coming from, and if he is hired, and if all the other coaches mentioned are hired somewhere else, and if by February we are in 28th place and all the teams with all there new coaches are in the top 18, I'm sure you'd be the first one to defend the Nelson hiring with all those experienced coaches we passed up ;)

Though, hate to break it to you, we'll never know. Because either Babcock or McClellan will be our next Head Coach. I guarantee you that. I would like to see Nelson as an Associate coach but won't happen under McClellan and I have no issues with anyone Babcock chooses.

I think that it will be Babcock or McLellan as well. In fact, I believe that they could offere McLellan the job tomorrow and they would have a coach by Monday.

oStealthKiller*

Master Monkey Herder
Jul 2, 2012
Edmonton
Oilers and flames used to attract free agents not solely but it was a factor with the fact that they made the most money after taxes. I'm guessing that will no longer Bethe case with NDP so I want bababcock more cuz imo we lost a ufa attractor and he is a ufa attractor

White Water Kayker

Nov 28, 2014
Oilers and flames used to attract free agents not solely but it was a factor with the fact that they made the most money after taxes. I'm guessing that will no longer Bethe case with NDP so I want bababcock more cuz imo we lost a ufa attractor and he is a ufa attractor

Excuse me? When's the last time either Alberta team were considered favourable destinations for FA's? It has nothing to do with politics or taxes - we have bigger problems than that.

Anyway, back on topic, I think at this stage I'm leaning toward McClellend or de Boer. I'm not sure I like the Babcock idea with all that has been talked about of late. We are going to need a guy with a BOATLOAD of patience, and I'm not sure Mike is into 4-5yrs before reaching any kind of Cup potential.

McGlassbangers

Jul 13, 2009
McFinland
Babcock is scheduled to leave for Prague and the World Championships on Sunday, a trip Babcock and Holland had planned already. There he will get an eyeful of Taylor Hall and Jordan Eberle, who are ripping it up on a line with Sidney Crosby.

It could be just that leads Babcock to take on the intriguing project that is the Edmonton Oilers.

“I think he’ll follow McDavid (to Edmonton),†a scout opined this week. “The minute I heard him asking about, ‘How are we going to replace (Pavel Datsyuk and Henrik Zetterberg) in Detroit?’ I knew he’d want to find some new, young stars.â€

Edmonton fits that bill, you can’t deny. And he has long relationships with team CEO Bob Nicholson and new GM Peter Chiarelli. Sometimes, however, when people have long relationships it turns out they know each other’s faults as well as each of their qualities.

Edmonton will talk with Babcock, but it’s not a slam-dunk — from either direction.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/why-mike-babcock-wont-end-up-with-maple-leafs/

Jeff Lebowski

Jan 12, 2008
Excuse me? When's the last time either Alberta team were considered favourable destinations for FA's? It has nothing to do with politics or taxes - we have bigger problems than that.

Anyway, back on topic, I think at this stage I'm leaning toward McClellend or de Boer. I'm not sure I like the Babcock idea with all that has been talked about of late. We are going to need a guy with a BOATLOAD of patience, and I'm not sure Mike is into 4-5yrs before reaching any kind of Cup potential.

Neither am I. Bring on Babcock.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad