Head Coaching Thread | Friedman: "[other suitor] hearing that a deal was done"

Status
Not open for further replies.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I am somewhat shocked to say this but I think I would now put McLellan above Babcock for the Oilers job. My gut tells me that he fits the Oilers personnel better than Babcock and that with the league seemingly changing he might be better able to adjust.

Agreed and it appears that Oilers management sees it the same way.

I think Babcock would be better suited for a team ready to contend, don't think he will have much patience here.

I think McLellan coaching Hall and Eberle to some success at the WHC and them seemingly getting comfortable with each other is playing a part in the decision too.
Plus they run the risk of losing out on both if they wait for Babcock and he chooses to go elsewhere.

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta
Agreed and it appears that Oilers management seems it the same way.

I think Babcock would be better suited for a team ready to contend, don't think he will have much patience here.

I think McLellan coaching Hall and Eberle to some success at the WHC and them seemingly getting comfortable with each other is playing a part in the decision too.
Plus they run the risk of losing out on both if they wait for Babcock and he chooses to go elsewhere.

I think they're making the right choice, and I agree with your analysis. I'll be very happy if they hire McLellan over Babs.

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
The chance to get a Babcock doesn't come often, you take him if you can.

But maybe TM is better for the team considering where they are developmentally. trotz is great with the Caps but they actually made the playoffs before he came along, they were ready for him. Are we ready for Babcock? Maybe not, I don't know but it's something for Chiarelli to consider.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
I am 100% happy with either of them. Babcock is the best coach in the world, but McLellan's style of play probably suits the team better. Either one coaching here is a total win for the team.

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
I'd prefer TM to Babs but most important thing might be retaining Nelson as AC

Ya Babs might not want Nelson as his assistant coach, or even Craig Ramsay for that matter but you can be guaranteed if TM gets the job Nelson is back in the AHL because he wont bump Ramsay out of his position and TM has already stated hes bringing in 1 of his own guys from SJS to be an AC.

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
Am I the only one that thinks Nelson's performance was vastly overrated? I mean being the second act for the worst coach in the history of an organization youre bound to end up looking better but even under Nelson they had an awful record.

The few wins they did have a lot of them were the result of a shootout. Im sure Nelson is a nice guy and an average coach but I dont see any cups under a rookie coach cutting his teeth in the NHL.

More importantly we have a ticking clock....its only a matter of time until guys like Hall (despite what they say) say enough is enough at never making the playoffs. Coaching matters ask Calgary and we need a proven coach.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Heres my 2 cents....

On McLellan vs Babcock: McLellans system feeds off a good PP and inflates shots on net and possession by increasing shot attempts, essentially what Eakins was doing trying to raise Corsi, but McLellan actually knows how to execute it. The issue is while this makes his teams deadly offensively it doesn't lend itself to the playoffs, the results level out over a full season to win more game but a 7 game series tends to cause a lot of variation. Scrivens ~60 save shutout last year showed that if you block shots and your goalie stands on his head its easy to counter that, its worth mentioning that SJS had attempted like 88-90 shots that night. Also of note that from my time watching his teams that this has always been his system.

Enter Babcock. Hes played multiple different systems, from team canada, to various systems in detroit his tight checking(Forecheck, back check and finish your checks) has never gotten him a presidents trophy since he had ample skill and depth on his roster to work with, but it has gotten them into the playoffs, even when the roster shouldnt have sniffed the playoffs. It wears opponents down and his offense through defense system actually creates just as much offense as any other. Look at how Ovechkin has reacted to a similar system in WSH, take into account the good work hes done with youth in Detroit. I wouldn't have any doubt that our young guys could learn how to play right and theyd finally have that coach that you respect too much to not listen, similar to Pat Quinn.

As for Nelson, hes been a positive influence since coming in, he should be on this coaching staff, if McLellan is hired hes bringing his guy in so its Ramsay vs Nelson, id guess in that situation Nelson gets a job from another team or goes back to our AHL affiliate. I can see Babcock letting Acton go and putting Nelson in that position but its hard to know.
This is a solid post and I agree with much of it, except I don't think our guys really listened to Pat Quinn when he was here. Mike Babcock would be more of a culture shock for our guys, but I do think his system is more relevant to long term success and changing bad habits. McLennan will fit like a glove with our team and he plays to our strengths, he'll still implement better defensive structure, but his system doesn't seem as demanding on our forwards to provide a lot of back checking pressure.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Am I the only one that thinks Nelson's performance was vastly overrated? I mean being the second act for the worst coach in the history of an organization youre bound to end up looking better but even under Nelson they had an awful record.

The few wins they did have a lot of them were the result of a shootout. Im sure Nelson is a nice guy and an average coach but I dont see any cups under a rookie coach cutting his teeth in the NHL.

More importantly we have a ticking clock....its only a matter of time until guys like Hall (despite what they say) say enough is enough at never making the playoffs. Coaching matters ask Calgary and we need a proven coach.

Nelson did as well as could be expected with sub-AHL goaltending and a defensive core consisting of mayyyybe 3 NHLers. The team improved, the players love him, and he wasn't an embarrassment every time he opened his mouth. He's a good coach. I'd love him to be our associate coach - but I've been a fan of Nelson's for a long time.

Neatman

Mar 9, 2011
Just get the best coach.
Ill be disappointed if they jump on a candidate for any reason other than that.

Seems strange to be going all in on McLellan before having discussions with arguably the best candidate on the market.

McOilbleeder

We are all Kloppites
Aug 5, 2006
Oil Country
I'd good with either, but I wonder how much of this is a negotiation ploy.

Even if its not, I'm good with McLellan. The more I dig into him, the more impressed I become. He ran a top offense from 2008 onwards. More importantly, minus the last season, he's been in the top-10 for GA every season. This is a period where the Sharks didn't really have a #1 D-man in the Lidstrom/Kronwall mold.

He's developed young players both offense and defense (Vlasic, Braun, Couture, Pavelski etc.) and gotten the most out of his players. They all seem to love him.

I have the sense that he'd very much be employed right now if DW didn't interfere in coaching decisions.

Mr Sakich

Mar 8, 2002
Motel 35
vimeo.com
This is smart from Chiarelli. Rather than halfheartedly go for both of them, one of whom isn't really sure what he wants and might not go anywhere, they're going all in for McLellan rather than risk losing both.

The 'long meeting' between Nelson and Chiarelli has me very curious too. As others have stated, Nelson cannot just walk. He's contracted to the organization.

Nelson has 100 percent proved he is a good development coach. In an ideal world, we get mclellan or babcock and nelson is the coach in bakersfield.

The oilers would let him try to land an nhl job but keep him if he does not get a better offer.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
Just get the best coach.
Ill be disappointed if they jump on a candidate for any reason other than that.

Seems strange to be going all in on McLellan before having discussions with arguably the best candidate on the market.

I'd bet money that they've had discussions. They have history (Nicholson, Chiarelli, Babcock), no chance someone hasn't guaged how much interest Babcock has. Maybe he's already said No?

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
Oilers and flames used to attract free agents not solely but it was a factor with the fact that they made the most money after taxes. I'm guessing that will no longer Bethe case with NDP so I want bababcock more cuz imo we lost a ufa attractor and he is a ufa attractor

Alberta's taxes will almost certainly remain a favourable advantage in comparison to almost all other states and provinces. Maybe the NDP should actually have a chance to govern before we judge them on their policy, the reality is the PC's were literally one of the most corrupt parties in Canadian history and needed desperately to be removed from power. 44 years of being elected was starting to look a little like absolute power, or at least they were acting as if they had it...

I'm not advocating the NDP, in fact i remain highly sceptical that any mainstream party that wishes to align itself with any idealogical generalizations will ever be efficent of even effective in comparision to an actually considerate approach that favours bias-free and factual based information. As long as we expect political parties to follow an idealogical operative we will see the manipulation of facts and the intentional ignorance of contrary information in order to justify an already presumed position. A large part of the reason political parties cater to this shallow mindset is because it's easier to appeal to peoples sensibilities if they remain static/overly simple, people don't want to make informed decisions because that would require effort. But i'll tell you what even if you don't want to arm yourself with facts an open mind is essential to a considerate viewpoint, which even if woefully uninformed provides a person with a perspective that can be improved and hence worthwhile. Basically it's better to not make assumptions as it's inherently defeatist and it ultimately oppresses representation by accepting/enabling the creation of static positions that favour predetermined ideologies over all possible considerations.

I'm not really criticizing you just suggesting that jumping to conclusions and accepting them doesn't allow for a truly dynamic relationship between constituent and representation, as the NDP has to cater to public demand at least to some extent. For this reason it's doubtful taxes in Alberta will suddenly be far higher than they had been, for example a 2% hike in the corporate tax still puts Alberta amongst the lowest rates in the Country. It's not Armageddon here and it can't be unless you accept it as an inevitability.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
"If you chase two rabbits, you will not catch either one."

Also the thread title is misleading, I don't think Friedman ever says that the Oilers would prefer McLellan to Babcock.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
"If you chase two rabbits, you will not catch either one."

Also the thread title is misleading, I don't think Friedman ever says that the Oilers would prefer McLellan to Babcock.

Very true about the rabbits, but I think this seals it:

"Two Todds from the East shall gather in the house of Northern lands, round fledgling star they gather, and a second dynasty is born." Nostradamas (Quatrain 99:97):nod:

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
Very true about the rabbits, but I think this seals it:

"Two Todds from the East shall gather in the house of Northern lands, round fledgling star they gather, and a second dynasty is born." Nostradamas (Quatrain 99:97):nod:

You're making that up....Lol

FunkyChicken

Jul 24, 2003
Ha!!!
What a difference a gold card makes. We are now debating between two of the top five coaches in the league and have pretty much written of Hitchock. I think they'll end up with McLellan because he system seems a better fit, less likely compensation will be required and he'll probably command significantly less salary. If you're not sure between two choices, usually you take the cheaper option.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
If they're lukewarm on Babcock, I bet it's over the roster control Babcock supposedly wants.

I doubt McLellan comes with the same conditions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad