Head Coaching Thread | Friedman: "[other suitor] hearing that a deal was done"

Status
Not open for further replies.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Perhaps when the Oilers and Flames were the two best teams in the NHL and very few made million(s) a year, it was easier to acquire free agents for Edmonton and Calgary. Don't think that tax bit is at all true; certain US markets have had lower taxes for high income earners for a long time AFAIK.

To counter White Walker Kayker, there is no room for ANY patience. This isn't a matter of letting younger players develop into meaningful roles, it's a matter of surrounding already star-level young players with established NHL players. Rebuild defense and goal, tweak the mix at forward. This should not take years to do.

If the Oilers do not seriously compete for a playoff spot next year (as in, part of the conversation in Spring, if even a long shot), Chiarelli and the man we hire for coach will have failed.

Last edited:

Arctic Fox

Nov 17, 2007
I am somewhat shocked to say this but I think I would now put McLellan above Babcock for the Oilers job. My gut tells me that he fits the Oilers personnel better than Babcock and that with the league seemingly changing he might be better able to adjust.

My biggest problem with Babcock is that he has nothing left to achieve. He's a "been there done that" kinda man. Is he going to be motivated enough to strive to accomplish more?

At the same time, TM is a rising coach. He has accumulated a good track record in the number of wins, reached Team Canada level but he still needs to win a Cup (as a HC, he got one as an assistant IIRC). You can bet he'll be motivated.

That said, when MacT hired Eakins I thought it was a great move too. So I don't trust my own coaching opinions any longer. :baghead:

OttawaOilers

Nov 12, 2012
Penguins not interested in Babcock's services. You can scratch the Pens off the list of potential landing spots for Babs.

Gobo

Stop looking Gare
Jun 29, 2010
I'd prefer TM to Babs but most important thing might be retaining Nelson as AC

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005
Friedman on Saturday Headlines suggests the Oilers won't wait for Babcock and may be hot to trot for McLellan.

Forgot About Drai

Dr Drai the Second
Jul 10, 2009
Edmonton
I prefer Babs over Todd Mclellan, just for the job Trotz has done in Washington. At the time it seemed like a weird fit hiring a defensive coach with a team with so many weapons, however it just lead to Washington to being a more defensively responsible and tougher team to play against.

Although Mclellan's style seems like the better fit, this tougher, more conservative style always leads to more successful playoff runs imo.

OnTheBrink

Apr 19, 2013
Airdrie
Friedman on Saturday Headlines suggests the Oilers won't wait for Babcock and may be hot to trot for McLellan.

Honestly happy to hear this, as much as I would like to add Babcock I think Mclellan is a better fit for this team, if a few years down the road he can't get it done in the playoffs you look elsewhere, but I think he would be good for development and confidence of the young skilled guys and at least get them into the playoffs at this point.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
There's still a ways to go in the IIHF tourney, they should be able to have a long interview or two with Babcock and see where he's leaning.

If he's still non-committal by the end of the tournament, I think you move on McLellan.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I prefer Babs over Todd Mclellan, just for the job Trotz has done in Washington. At the time it seemed like a weird fit hiring a defensive coach with a team with so many weapons, however it just lead to Washington to being a more defensively responsible and tougher team to play against.

Although Mclellan's style seems like the better fit, this tougher, more conservative style always leads to more successful playoff runs imo.

Don't the Sharks often have few GA though? It's actually Babcock's teams that have had higher GF from what I recall, McLellan's teams are usually one of the tops for fewest GA.

NugeFan

Jul 5, 2013
There's still a ways to go in the IIHF tourney, they should be able to have a long interview or two with Babcock and see where he's leaning.

If he's still non-committal by the end of the tournament, I think you move on McLellan.

Great point. I think an interview needs to happen. You don't pass the opportunity up no matter which way they choose to go

azashi

May 31, 2006
Don't the Sharks often have few GA though? It's actually Babcock's teams that have had higher GF from what I recall, McLellan's teams are usually one of the tops for fewest GA.

The Sharks also have few Cup appearances and fewer Cup wins.

But seriously, yes, the Sharks do often have a good GA. But for whatever reason that falls apart in the post-season.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
I prefer Babcock for a number of reasons, so it's a bit disappointing to hear that we might end up not waiting for him. That said, it's not necessarily a bad move if we have McLellan ready to sign with us and Babcock being a total wild card. Don't want to end up missing both because we kept McLellan on hold until Babcock finished his soul searching.

Reasons I prefer Babcock:
1. He always seems to get more out of his teams than you'd expect - some of his Detroit teams of late frankly haven't looked that great and yet they continue to be competitive. And I would remind everyone that even though his teams are defensively responsible, they're not playing talent-crushing dump and chase. His teams are all about possession too - they just focus on low-risk passes really. And has been mentioned, I'm sure he'd adapt his system to better fit our talented roster.

2. Development - Detroit continually churns out lower ranked picks who end up playing better than you'd expect. This obviously isn't JUST Babcock, but you can't discount how well he trains his young players. And for those who will tell me that he always favours vets - yes, he has shown vets he likes, but a lot of the talk about Babcock wanting more control have been borne of disagreements between Holland and Babcock over playing young players. Babcock being the one who wanted younger blood on his roster.

McLellan's system does seem to be a better fit for us, but he's never been able to take some very talented Sharks teams all the way. That's not all on him, but it's definitely concerning to me. I can't say I've ever seen any of his teams over-achieve like Babcock's almost always do.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I am somewhat shocked to say this but I think I would now put McLellan above Babcock for the Oilers job. My gut tells me that he fits the Oilers personnel better than Babcock and that with the league seemingly changing he might be better able to adjust.

I agree.

I think this has a lot to do with player (as opposed to systems) coaching styles and for me McLellan seems to be a better fit in that regard.

I also think there is a better chance of Nelson being included in the coaching staff with McLellan.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton

The comparison

YEAR | BABCOCK | MCLELLAN
2014-2015 | 2.57 | 2.76
2013-2014 | 2.70 | 2.35
2012-2013 | 2.29 | 2.33
2011-2012 | 2.44 | 2.50
2010-2011 | 2.89 | 2.54
2009-2010 | 2.52 | 2.55
2008-2009 | 2.93 | 2.43

They're from the same school, anyway. It's not like McLellan is all about letting the horses ride. They both want to promote offense by forcing turnovers and having a strong transitional game.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
This is smart from Chiarelli. Rather than halfheartedly go for both of them, one of whom isn't really sure what he wants and might not go anywhere, they're going all in for McLellan rather than risk losing both.

The 'long meeting' between Nelson and Chiarelli has me very curious too. As others have stated, Nelson cannot just walk. He's contracted to the organization.

J4M13M

Jun 4, 2014
Saint John NB
This only adds to the speculation that this Babcock thing is a dog and pony show.

Given his relationship with Nicholson and Chiarelli, they would have to like their chances of signing him if he was leaving Detroit. It stands to reason he's probably given them a lukewarm vibe, otherwise I think the Oilers would be among the first out of the gate to sign him.

The fact that guys he's known for a long time and worked with in the past aren't all-in makes it seem even more likely that he's ultimately staying in Detroit, IMO.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
This only adds to the speculation that this Babcock thing is a dog and pony show.

Given his relationship with Nicholson and Chiarelli, they would have to like their chances of signing him if he was leaving Detroit. It stands to reason he's probably given them a lukewarm vibe, otherwise I think the Oilers would be among the first out of the gate to sign him.

The fact that guys he's known for a long time and worked with in the past aren't all-in makes it seem even more likely that he's ultimately staying in Detroit, IMO.

To be fair to him, maybe he himself doesn't really know yet. He's been with Detroit for a long time, this isn't just a snap of the finger decision for him, I'm sure a good deal of emotion is involved if he's leaving Detroit.

McspOiler

Feb 27, 2012
Victoria, BC
Add me to the McClellan over Babcock looking at hertl and couture u can see he can help the young guys. We still need a players coach but a good one I think Todd fits the best especially if we get a second Todd as associate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad