Rumor: Hawks thinking of trading Debrincat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Holy f***ing shit. Well, it's truly 10000% rebuild then lol.

If we trade him (and then Kane/Toews asks out most likely), I will literally puke every time Seth Jones touches the puck.
Take it from a Buffalo fan -- you don't want to strip the team totally bare. You need some soldiers to help young guys navigate a difficult situation so they can develop properly.

Muffinalt

Mar 1, 2016
Hungary
Take it from a Buffalo fan -- you don't want to strip the team totally bare. You need some soldiers to help young guys navigate a difficult situation so they can develop properly.

Very much agree. But our GM seems to prioritize asset accumulation to the max right now, and we don't really have many others he can accomplish this with.

I don't think it's necessarily the way to go, but have resigned myself to the fact when Hagel was traded.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Very much agree. But our GM seems to prioritize asset accumulation to the max right now, and we don't really have many others he can accomplish this with.

I don't think it's necessarily the way to go, but have resigned myself to the fact when Hagel was traded.
I'm with KD that right now Chicago needs to max out on asset acquisitions.

The prospect pool is so bare, that it doesn't even matter if there are vets around.

Once Chicago is replenished again, KD needs to bring in some quality vets. But for the time being, just trade anyone with any kind of value.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
I'm with KD that right now Chicago needs to max out on asset acquisitions.

The prospect pool is so bare, that it doesn't even matter if there are vets around.

Once Chicago is replenished again, KD needs to bring in some quality vets. But for the time being, just trade anyone with any kind of value.

I can get on board. I still think I’d prefer Cat but if you can get two firsts for him, not to mention 2OA, and another 2 for Kane, coupled with Tampa’s two firsts, not to mention likely a top 3 pick of our own next season.

That’s a ton of high end assets and I am of the belief that’s how you build a winning team these days.

TheFridge

Mar 20, 2022
I can get on board. I still think I’d prefer Cat but if you can get two firsts for him, not to mention 2OA, and another 2 for Kane, coupled with Tampa’s two firsts, not to mention likely a top 3 pick of our own next season.

That’s a ton of high end assets and I am of the belief that’s how you build a winning team these days.

That's the thing people need to remember. The only thing that matter in sports is having more talent than other teams. There are lots of ways to get talent: you can sign UFAs, you can make trades; but the only way you can maximize high-end talent in a cost-controlled manner is through the draft. Which is why building through the draft via purposefully not being good is a strategy that works and has worked in the NHL. You have to have an exit plan and you need to recognize opportunities to take your team from rebuilding to contending but at the end of the day, it's all about accumulating talent.

Fortyfives

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2011

Talk to Kane about a TDL move to try to win a cup and resign him in Chicago for what ever he wants. He can mentor these future assets and cap wont matter for this team for several years. Even Kane for the playoffs gets a 1st round pick.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
you can't compare this rebuild to a team like buffalo because they've failed in areas outside of the draft, their pro acquisitions have been lackluster, same with a team like philly who has actually drafted pretty well, its not as simple as tank and draft a contender, the picks bust too often, the goal is to get lucky and draft elite talent and then build through smart player acquisitions at the same time...the template is probably what yzerman is doing in detroit right now...smart one year deals that are flipped at deadline for more picks, smart sell high deals like the deal for vrana, build the pipeline of young talent, when they're ready he'll add the pieces to the young core to take them to the next step in the rebuild

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014

Two firsts from Jersey for Cat, two from Tampa, two for Kane, our own in 2023, and maybe one for Murphy, and that’s 8 in two years including a #2oa and probable top-3. Coupled with Reichel and a few other pieces, if Davidson and scouts do their jobs there could be a f***-ton of talent here in 3-4 years.

LavalPhantom

Sep 12, 2014
Starting a rebuild while you still have very valuable assets to trade will help said rebuild to go faster and be more successful. You obviously also need luck and plenty of good moves, so nothing is a given. But that can’t hurt.

Naster Okan

Jan 8, 2019
Ian Mitchell is the only reason you need to watch next season
It feels like the second coming of Christ is at hand.
🙏
Although I am mostly interested in seeing who develops and at what pace within the defense prospect group. I see competition for spots that could bode well for chemistry development and possibly pushing limits. But I suppose team culture and coaching systems will play a large role in that as well.

Trade DeBrincat to get Slafkovsky
Tank for Bedard
???
Profit

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Starting a rebuild while you still have very valuable assets to trade will help said rebuild to go faster and be more successful. You obviously also need luck and plenty of good moves, so nothing is a given. But that can’t hurt.
this team is similar to the sox teams that could never win but was dismantled for a lot of players that are on their current team, the wins never matched the talent but once they went full teardown they assembled a great pool of assets quickly through the fire sale...Cat could be this team's Sale that lands the Moncada type prospect

Reactions: LavalPhantom

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
Hawks aren't winning paying 16-20million to 2 135' wings

Kane or Cat have to go...but not until Strome is gone first.

Then I'll start worrying about winning trades. At this point, anything they do is a dead end.

What we got from Hagel has nothing to do what we get from DeBrincat.

Hagel got great contract which got his price up, DeBrincat has QO up 9M, if he makes long contract that might drop to 8M AAV.
Yes, the AAV is going to really crush the return.

Chuck Testa

Mar 27, 2017
Safe to say if they go scorched Earth and this team is Arizona-bad then I won't be tuning in to any games again until this team becomes watchable again.

What a shitshow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad