Hawks of yesteryear: The place to talk/argue Hawks playing elsewhere

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teemu

Caffeine Free Since 1919
Dec 3, 2002
Still convinced Darling being chosen over Raanta had everything to do with him being 6'5" and nothing to do with him being the better goalie

It probably had much more to do with "local boy" and good press

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Eh, I think that the Raanta thing is vastly overstated. He admitted that he temporarily had bad feelings towards the team and rooted against them before he shook it out of his head. He was mostly good for us in the regular season and then got passed over when push came to shove. Not only that, but he was part of the Black Aces up here and didn't even get to play in Rockford during the AHL playoffs.

I think having pangs of jealously, indignation, and even ill-wishing is a perfectly human response to a situation like that.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I think GM's are steering away from Pirri due to all the injuries. Is he getting the reputation of being injury prone? Another Dave Bolland? I think so.

Dale Tallon was on the NHL Network explaining this trade and simply this is a major issue - plus his contract status next year was up in the air, and with the acquisitions they made there simply was no room left for a one dimensional player, albeit a very important type of dimension.

I bet he could have gotten more for Pirri but he said after Ladd went (He wanted Ladd as his #1 target) he had to adjust and go a different route so probably didn't put a lot of thought that he would get all those guys and was running out of time to move Pirri hence the low return.

Tallon and Bowman both made their teams a lot stronger for the playoffs.

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Eh, I think that the Raanta thing is vastly overstated. He admitted that he temporarily had bad feelings towards the team and rooted against them before he shook it out of his head. He was mostly good for us in the regular season and then got passed over when push came to shove. Not only that, but he was part of the Black Aces up here and didn't even get to play in Rockford during the AHL playoffs.

I think having pangs of jealously, indignation, and even ill-wishing is a perfectly human response to a situation like that.

Exactly. Another example of a guy being perfectly honest and it gets brought up for years by critics with a little added spin to make it more spicy.

The simple fact was that Raanta was pretty good, but Darling was better. Raanta tends to play small and Darling is big and he plays big. He also fits the mould of the modern goaltender, lanky with good athleticism (He had also been on Hawks' scouting radar for a while). It was an easy decision actually.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Exactly. Another example of a guy being perfectly honest and it gets brought up for years by critics with a little added spin to make it more spicy.

The simple fact was that Raanta was pretty good, but Darling was better. Raanta tends to play small and Darling is big and he plays big. He also fits the mould of the modern goaltender, lanky with good athleticism (He had also been on Hawks' scouting radar for a while). It was an easy decision actually.

I think a lot of that Raanta quote was lost in translation. We all knew what he meant ... he was disappointed to not play.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Dale Tallon was on the NHL Network explaining this trade and simply this is a major issue - plus his contract status next year was up in the air, and with the acquisitions they made there simply was no room left for a one dimensional player, albeit a very important type of dimension.

I bet he could have gotten more for Pirri but he said after Ladd went (He wanted Ladd as his #1 target) he had to adjust and go a different route so probably didn't put a lot of thought that he would get all those guys and was running out of time to move Pirri hence the low return.

Tallon and Bowman both made their teams a lot stronger for the playoffs.

How cool would a CHI v FLA Cup final be?

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
How cool would a CHI v FLA Cup final be?

It would be terrible because we have some fans that would be all over Tallon's nuts saying he is the TRUE Chicago savoir and Stanley is just riding his coat tails.

I would 100% have to quit this site because I would not be able to handle the level of stupidity that would be posted.

here come the

Mar 25, 2013
Why do people think Raanta is better than Darling? He was one of the worst goalies in the league his rookie year, had identical numbers to Darling last year, and is having a worse season this year with there even being talk the Rangers wanted a new back up.

Gooner

Feb 21, 2016
Munich

Yeah, I think it's silly to expect the kind of loyalty to a club that a fan shows. Raanta wasn't playing, and while the cup was won by the team employing him, he had basically no part in it. It's a pretty normal reaction to be selfish in that scenario. I betcha he wanted Crow and Darling to suck too, so that he could play. Doesn't make him an ******* that he said what a lot of players are thinking every season.

stefa

Jul 10, 2013
Still think that quote was taken quite a bit out of context

No it was not. He said : I crossed my fingers hoping asville wins in four games so I can quickly go back to Finland. I was so pissed how they treated me. There was bad atmosphere in the locker room during the season and the head coach didn't seem to like me. I noticed that he didn't like my face (don't know ho you say this in english right way) and it was hard to battle against the windmills.

I have allways hated raanta and was so effing happy when I realised that he didn't get his name to the cup.

Venthon

Nov 11, 2014
No it was not. He said : I crossed my fingers hoping asville wins in four games so I can quickly go back to Finland. I was so pissed how they treated me. There was bad atmosphere in the locker room during the season and the head coach didn't seem to like me. I noticed that he didn't like my face (don't know ho you say this in english right way) and it was hard to battle against the windmills.

I have allways hated raanta and was so effing happy when I realised that he didn't get his name to the cup.

Good to have a Finn to give us a legit translation. Thank you!

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
It would be terrible because we have some fans that would be all over Tallon's nuts saying he is the TRUE Chicago savoir and Stanley is just riding his coat tails.

I would 100% have to quit this site because I would not be able to handle the level of stupidity that would be posted.

lmao

They're still out there in numbers too.

Not really. Most posters here realize the contribution that Tallon made back then but also acknowledge the legacy that Stan is building as Hawks GM in the modern era.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=2024739&highlight=challenged

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Im not shocked to see both Raanta and Darling take a step back this year.

Last year was a small sample size that fans extrapolated well beyond the point of reason.

It was clear Darling was the goalie Q preferred, as he was the guy that took over for Crow in round 1. If Raanta were that guy, he'd still be here.

Doesnt make Raanta bad or Darling great, simply coach's preference based on whatever measures he cares about.

Both will be great career backups IMO. Ive seen nothing from either to suggest theyre starter material, but Im no goalie expert, so I could certainly be wrong.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Nordstrom upto 9 goals and 12 a and+4...Desjardins has 7g 2a and is -7 ....Obviously kept the wrong guy...Desjardins more expensive cap hit this season but signed for another year at the hometown discount (not meaning his hometown but rather he took a big discount to stay in Chicago for 2 more years) whereas Nordstrom is RFA as his contract expires and probably gets a raise to cost much more than Desjardins next season ...But still Nordstrom the better return 9n investment so far this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad