Rumor: Hawks looking for a winger to play with Toews

mikee

Jul 6, 2016
How long will this hold up though...

Those lines don't have to hold up. Maybe Shalunov fills that spot, maybe schmaltz, Motte or Hartman. Specifics for that aren't important this far out. The point was the Hawks will have seven second year guys competing for 6-7 spots. They will have more rookies like Hayden, DeBrincat, Fortin competing as well. The team will also likely try to bring in at least one vet from KHL or resign Desi/Tootoo. Remember, if the Hawks don't acquire a forward with a contract extending into next season by the end of the year they have to extend one of those two guys otherwise they will not meet the expansion draft requirements. 13th forward on a team is usually a vet because there is no downside to sitting them. A young player should go to Rockford if they aren't playing regularly.

If the Hawks want to try and improve their top so at the deadline for the playoffs this year they can include one of the young roster forwards as part of the deal. They don't have to, and it isn't ideal, but it should not be a deal breaker either.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
Those lines don't have to hold up. Maybe Shalunov fills that spot, maybe schmaltz, Motte or Hartman. Specifics for that aren't important this far out. The point was the Hawks will have seven second year guys competing for 6-7 spots. They will have more rookies like Hayden, DeBrincat, Fortin competing as well. The team will also likely try to bring in at least one vet from KHL or resign Desi/Tootoo. Remember, if the Hawks don't acquire a forward with a contract extending into next season by the end of the year they have to extend one of those two guys otherwise they will not meet the expansion draft requirements. 13th forward on a team is usually a vet because there is no downside to sitting them. A young player should go to Rockford if they aren't playing regularly.

If the Hawks want to try and improve their top so at the deadline for the playoffs this year they can include one of the young roster forwards as part of the deal. They don't have to, and it isn't ideal, but it should not be a deal breaker either.

finally i am seeing someone who can see the necessity of this. i hate the fact of giving one up, but if that player is a top line or top 6 player and is control for several yrs, then the price need to be spent.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
The Coyotes are abysmal ,, Get on the phone already and get Vrbata

Get him now so he can slot in and gain chemistry with whatever linemates he gets. Don't wait until deadline

Vrbata should be easy to fit cap wise and reasonable to attain asset wise.. Get it done

Stop thinking that Hino or Hartman or whatever lousy non top 6 talent gets plugged into spot is going to work out

We don't have the talent to fill the top 6 hole from within. Time to end this joke and get a real player like Vrbata

H a w k s*

May 18, 2012

Get him now so he can slot in and gain chemistry with whatever linemates he gets. Don't wait until deadline

Vrbata should be easy to fit cap wise and reasonable to attain asset wise.. Get it done

Stop thinking that Hino or Hartman or whatever lousy non top 6 talent gets plugged into spot is going to work out

We don't have the talent to fill the top 6 hole from within. Time to end this joke and get a real player like Vrbata

Except vrbata is not good. Maybe we could overpay for boedker too

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
I want to circle back to the idea of putting Panarin on that line.

Why to do it:

-Without a doubt, creates two scoring lines teams must match up against. No more loading up on the PAK line

-Panarin has chemistry with Hossa on his RW

-Opponents would never have the puck with Panarin-Toews-Hossa on the ice. Panarin has a team high Corsi, and it's five points higher than Kane's and Anisimov's

-Panarin backchecks

-Kane has proven he can be successful with any linemates, and will still have Anisimov

-Allows the Hawks to look at significantly cheaper trade deadline options, because it's easier to find a fit for Kane and Anisimov

Why to not do it:

-PAK line has boatloads of chemistry, and is really fun to watch

migi

Feb 25, 2015
I'm with that idea because I just don't think Kane and Panarin play fast-enough north-south game to be a real threat in post-season when everything is tighter.

Of course Toews and Kane could try to find the chemistry together and it would still be easier to find somebody in TDL. And then both lines would have elite two-way player in Hossa and Toews. Anisimov is good but not that good.

Still would go for Sharp. I just want him back. But I agree with everything above.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
I want to circle back to the idea of putting Panarin on that line.

Why to do it:

-Without a doubt, creates two scoring lines teams must match up against. No more loading up on the PAK line

-Panarin has chemistry with Hossa on his RW

-Opponents would never have the puck with Panarin-Toews-Hossa on the ice. Panarin has a team high Corsi, and it's five points higher than Kane's and Anisimov's

-Panarin backchecks

-Kane has proven he can be successful with any linemates, and will still have Anisimov

-Allows the Hawks to look at significantly cheaper trade deadline options, because it's easier to find a fit for Kane and Anisimov

Why to not do it:

-PAK line has boatloads of chemistry, and is really fun to watch

and in essence, they are the only true scoring the hawks have. while your intent is honest, the results will not be worth the gamble of loosing the pak line scoring.

what they need is to get a player via trade.

emeyezee

Jul 1, 2015
Panarin-Toews-Kane
Schmaltz(maybe Hartman)-Anisimov-Hossa
?

Anisimov and Hossa have shown chemistry as well and Hossa hasn't done much scoring lately, either.

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
and in essence, they are the only true scoring the hawks have. while your intent is honest, the results will not be worth the gamble of loosing the pak line scoring.

what they need is to get a player via trade.

I don't see it as much of a gamble. Both Kane and Panarin are dangerous 70+ point scorers, I don't think that changes if you split them up.

Putting them out there together makes it easier for coaches to matchup against. Splitting them forces coaches to choose which one to try and lock down, leaving the other with softer matchups.

Hino's speed is good for the Toews-Hossa line, also people think Tatar could be a good fit on that line. Well Panarin is significantly better than both of those players, and could be a perfect fit.

All Toews and Hossa need to do is repeatedly get the puck to Panarin in the left circle for a one-timer, and I think that's something they're capable of doing.

Kane can create for himself, and Anisimov can still do his dirty work.

Those are two dangerous lines; instead of one super dangerous line, and one line you hope eventually scores.

Also, Panarin-Anisimov-Kane is still your PP1, so it's not like we won't see their magic.

migi

Feb 25, 2015
I don't see it as much of a gamble. Both Kane and Panarin are dangerous 70+ point scorers, I don't think that changes if you split them up.

Putting them out there together makes it easier for coaches to matchup against. Splitting them forces coaches to choose which one to try and lock down, leaving the other with softer matchups.

Hino's speed is good for the Toews-Hossa line, also people think Tatar could be a good fit on that line. Well Panarin is significantly better than both of those players, and could be a perfect fit.

All Toews and Hossa need to do is repeatedly get the puck to Panarin in the left circle for a one-timer, and I think that's something they're capable of doing.

Those are two dangerous lines; instead of one super dangerous line, and one line you hope eventually scores.

Also, Panarin-Anisimov-Kane is still your PP1, so it's not like we won't see their magic.

Yep. And people here are underrating the fact that Q has shown succesfully before that he wants to try different combinations throughout the season which gives him options and it's not like Panarin and Kane would lose what they have.

Panzerspitze

Mar 4, 2010

It'd be great if it works, but it was tried at the start of this season: Panarin was invisible on that line, whether that's because of a lack of chemistry, or Toews' ineffectiveness dragging his linemates down. Similarly, Hossa didn't work on Kane's line, when it was tried in prior season(s).

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
It'd be great if it works, but it was tried at the start of this season: Panarin was invisible on that line, whether that's because of a lack of chemistry, or Toews' ineffectiveness dragging his linemates down. Similarly, Hossa didn't work on Kane's line, when it was tried in prior season(s).

But then we saw Hossa look amazing with Panarin, Hossa looked his best when he was on a line with Panarin.

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can

Am I the only one to see that Panarin's offensive game has become predictable and somewhat one-dimensional?

His highlight reels from the KHL showed him scoring goals in all kinds of manners, and from all different areas of the ice. Now he seems to remain in Ovi land on virtually every shift and ops (especially goalies) are wise to the cross ice feeds for the one-timers. Don't get me wrong, he's a sniper but I think he and the line in general (if Q insists on keeping it together) needs to simplify and be less predictable.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Am I the only one to see that Panarin's offensive game has become predictable and somewhat one-dimensional?

His highlight reels from the KHL showed him scoring goals in all kinds of manners, and from all different areas of the ice. Now he seems to remain in Ovi land on virtually every shift and ops (especially goalies) are wise to the cross ice feeds for the one-timers. Don't get me wrong, he's a sniper but I think he and the line in general (if Q insists on keeping it together) needs to simplify and be less predictable.

Yes. I think you are the only one.

CourtneyDagger50

Resident Pig Expert
Jan 11, 2014
Rockford

Well it doesn't work for Ovi. It'll clearly stop Panarin
:sarcasm:

crazyhawk

Apr 8, 2011
In the Hills
It's Eklund of course ... so with a large grain of salt ...

"Ok, so here is the latest...

On Vanek...per a few sources, the Blackhawks..in what feels like such a typical and great Blackhawks move..are working hard to get Vanek, and sooner than later. The belief is that Vanek is a much better player when he plays alongside with skilled players...Can't you just see Captain Serious handing the Cup off to Vanek?"

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Hawks need a pure offensive player to add to the mix but I'm afraid that Vanek and Q would soon become oil and water. I doubt Q is the least bit interested in acquiring a player like Vanek. I'm sick of his so called system.

Backyard Hockey

Dealing With It
Feb 13, 2015
This is really sad that we have to talk about breaking up one of the most exciting, highest horsepower lines in the NHL to try to jump start the highest paid player in the NHL.

It's pathetic really. I would expect the highest paid player in the NHL to be the one doing the jumpstarting.

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW

The last time Vrbata was with the 'hawks he was nothing more than a perimeter player. If he's not changed we have plenty of those players not doing much right now.

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
This is really sad that we have to talk about breaking up one of the most exciting, highest horsepower lines in the NHL to try to jump start the highest paid player in the NHL.

It's pathetic really. I would expect the highest paid player in the NHL to be the one doing the jumpstarting.

It is what it is right now. Just because you keep talking about his salary, doesn't mean it changes anything.

I'd rather see the team win than sit on a message board and ***** about salaries.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad