Rumor: Hawks looking for a winger to play with Toews

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Shouldn't this mean that fans should trust Q's evaluation of players, instead of calling for his firing?

Probably. I think that can be said for the organization as a whole. They really haven't unnecessarily moved a player that amounted to much of anything. If they go sour on somebody it is usually for good reason.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
I noted in earlier post that most of the guys that end up in Q's dog house end up not amounting to much of anything anyway.

I just didn't think Dano's value fell to basically Dahlbeck status where he needed to be the prospect going back with the 1st for Ladd. Came to the conclusion he probably really rubbed Q and possibly Stan the wrong way to end up being moved out of the org in under half a year.

Staying out for a 2 minute shift when you have ample opportunities to get off the ice, and ignoring your coach will do that... Pretty sure he never saw the ice after that situation, and never got back into a Hawks sweater. Can't remember 100%, but I think he was sent down, then traded a few weeks later.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Staying out for a 2 minute shift when you have ample opportunities to get off the ice, and ignoring your coach will do that... Pretty sure he never saw the ice after that situation, and never got back into a Hawks sweater. Can't remember 100%, but I think he was sent down, then traded a few weeks later.

I've seen other posters mention this multiple times but never from Powers or Zawaski. They said more about Teuvo being moved than Dano.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
I noted in earlier post that most of the guys that end up in Q's dog house end up not amounting to much of anything anyway.

I just didn't think Dano's value fell to basically Dahlbeck status where he needed to be the prospect going back with the 1st for Ladd. Came to the conclusion he probably really rubbed Q and possibly Stan the wrong way to end up being moved out of the org in under half a year.

Each deadline is different in terms of value, and that was the price for Ladd. If we didn't include a prospect like Dano with a 1st, we don't get him. It was probably a choice between Dano, Schmaltz or maybe a guy like Motte to go with the 1st.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011

AFAIK that's correct. Didn't he commit a penalty on that play too?

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Blackhawks Breakdown had interesting proposal in recent blog post. 2018 1st and Pokka for Hanzal and Vrbata. Hawks realistically have a three year window to get another cup or two. I'm kind of on board with moving that 1st. It will probably be a late pick and really the window is now. Hawks have Schmaltz, Motte and DeBrincat on the cusp with Shalunov also in the fold. So they should be OK filling in the forward group with young talent during the three year window.

This is a cup caliber forward group that I would put against any team out there.

Panik-Toews-Hossa
Panarin-Anisimov-Kane
Vrbata-Hanzal-Shalunov
Moose-Kruger-Hartman
Desi-Kero-Hino

Motte and Schmaltz could be ready, who knows. If Shalunov duds out then they have options.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Sharp is possible and familiar with the team

He hasnt been particularly good since his concussion though. He's an upgrade, but he'd have to come very cheap.

I like the Parenteau option BlackhawksBreakdown presented, personally. Cheap and effective.

migi

Feb 25, 2015
He hasnt been particularly good since his concussion though. He's an upgrade, but he'd have to come very cheap.

He had two points in 12 games, last 5 games 5 points. Don't know exactly when he came back from concussion, but he is producing.

Haven't seen him play this year I think so can't tell if he's been good or product of his linemates. I just wish that he would come back somehow. He is not the same player, but I think the rest of the season in familiar team is much more easier than going to new team (Sharp vs for example Parenteau). Lower risk, but still high reward like with anyone else.

Gooner

Feb 21, 2016
Munich
Sharp would be great, if he would be willing to take a discount like Campbel did he'd be a great solution. He knows the Hawks' system, Q knows and trusts him, we've seen good players fail here because they couldn't adjust, that risk is not there with Sharp.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Is there any way Cammalleri at 50% retain (2.5 AAV next year and the following year) will work for Chicago.

He seems to have checked out in NJ as the team is a mess right now and I'm hoping trading him can be a wake-up call to the team. He's still a very productive forward even through all the Devils misery the last couple years.

bwana63

carter blanche
Jul 11, 2014
Chi western burbs
Is there any way Cammalleri at 50% retain (2.5 AAV next year and the following year) will work for Chicago.

He seems to have checked out in NJ as the team is a mess right now and I'm hoping trading him can be a wake-up call to the team. He's still a very productive forward even through all the Devils misery the last couple years.

Certainly hope so. I'm no cap-oligist, but I think the Hawks can make it work. Very intriguing option, IMO. But am afraid NJ's ask will be too high. What do you think will get it done?

SAADfather

Dec 12, 2014

I like the Parenteau option BlackhawksBreakdown presented, personally. Cheap and effective.

Because Parenteau was claimed on waivers this year, if he is traded I believe any team that initially submitted a claim for him gets a chance to claim him again. I would bet there were other teams that submitted a claim that would damn sure still want him at 1.25 AAV. Highly doubt he goes anywhere.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Certainly hope so. I'm no cap-oligist, but I think the Hawks can make it work. Very intriguing option, IMO. But am afraid NJ's ask will be too high. What do you think will get it done?

A Penguins fan offered Pouliot + Fehr + 2017 2nd.

I know a Blackhawks fan offered Schmaltz + 2018 2nd and I believe Pokka + 2017 2nd, which are more than fair. I would prefer a LD if available since that's where the Devils need help the most, but a skilled forward and/or young defender + pick is what the Devils are likely looking at.

To be completely honest, Devils are in a miserable spot right now and only trending downwards. Trade Cammalleri, even for a bit of a hit, might serve to be a good wake-up call to the team that has played very poorly of late.

Gooner

Feb 21, 2016
Munich

has this been posted yet? not sure about cap of this.

Landeskog could be a really good fit with Toews and maybe a change of scenery and being a complimentary piece instead of having to lead an underachieving team might kickstart him again. Doubt he'd come cheap though and he would still be a gamble. I have similar thoughts on JVR, although I'm a tad worried about his inury history.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
Landeskog would be a god-tier pickup. Unworkable with the cap unless a major contract heads the other way though.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
Why? Add him at tdl with salary retained, deal with cap in offseason

That would pretty much ensure any moves made during the off season would return pennies on the dollar in value.

If anything, it probably makes more sense to wait for the off-season to try and acquire Landy from a position of relative neutrality.

Rolo

Aug 9, 2011
TRADE 1:

Ville Pokka
CHI 2017 2nd
CHI 2018 3rd

for

Patrick Sharp (salary retained)
Patrick Eaves

Sharp is still a top 6 forward, familiar with the system/Q, played many years alongside Toews and Hossa.

Eaves is a great player you can slot anywhere. Top line, 3rd line, 4th line, PP, PK, etc.

TRADE 2:

CAR 2017 5th

for

John Mitchell

Mitchell is a very solid 4C, who is having an off-year on the horrible Avs. Having him in a winning environment, would do wonders for him. He would help bolster the PK as well.

Sharp - Toews - Hossa
Panarin - Anisimov - Kane
Hartman - Kruger - Eaves
Rasmussen - Mitchell - Panik

Worst case scenario, Sharp busts, and plays 3rd line (like he did last time we won the cup), and Hartman or Hino ride shotgun with Toews/Hossa.

mikee

Jul 6, 2016
TRADE 1:

Ville Pokka
CHI 2017 2nd
CHI 2018 3rd

for

Patrick Sharp (salary retained)
Patrick Eaves

Sharp is still a top 6 forward, familiar with the system/Q, played many years alongside Toews and Hossa.

Eaves is a great player you can slot anywhere. Top line, 3rd line, 4th line, PP, PK, etc.

TRADE 2:

CAR 2017 5th

for

John Mitchell

Mitchell is a very solid 4C, who is having an off-year on the horrible Avs. Having him in a winning environment, would do wonders for him. He would help bolster the PK as well.

Sharp - Toews - Hossa
Panarin - Anisimov - Kane
Hartman - Kruger - Eaves
Rasmussen - Mitchell - Panik

Worst case scenario, Sharp busts, and plays 3rd line (like he did last time we won the cup), and Hartman or Hino ride shotgun with Toews/Hossa.

If Sharp wants to come back on a Campbell contract in the offseason, awesome. But I'm not down with giving anything of value up to bring him back on his current contract, even if Dallas retains some. If the price is dirt cheap, maybe.

I'd be fine with Eaves.

Mitchell does nothing Kero can't do. Couple of years ago, maybe. Today? Hard pass.

mikee

Jul 6, 2016
Hawks don't need to limit trade chips to draft picks and guys not currently on the team. If they want an upgrade at forward it is fine to include a young guy like Hino, Ras, Kero or Motte.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Hawks don't need to limit trade chips to draft picks and guys not currently on the team. If they want an upgrade at forward it is fine to include a young guy like Hino, Ras, Kero or Motte.

The Hawks need their young, cost controlled players. Now more than ever.

Trading a center with Kruger injured again and being traded this off-season makes no sense either.

mikee

Jul 6, 2016
The Hawks need their young, cost controlled players. Now more than ever.

Trading a center with Kruger injured again and being traded this off-season makes no sense either.

Hawks will have the following 13 forwards under contract next season assuming Shalunov signs and Kruger traded:

Hinostroza-Toews-Hossa
Panarin-Anisimov-Kane
Hartman-Schmaltz-Shalunov
Motte-Kero-Panik
Rasmussen

The team will surely have a vet like Desi/Tootoo around as an extra vet forward too. They have plenty of depth heading into the year. They can afford to move one of those guys in a deal this deadline if needed. And that is assuming guys like Fortin, Hayden, etc. don't work their way into the picture next year. Hawks have lots of young bottom six options and they may want some vet experience too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad