GDT: Hawks @@ Jets: 7PM CT on NBCSCH -- Star Wars, Nothing but Star Wars...

Status
Not open for further replies.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
I don't think so. He put a lot of heat on that pass, too much heat for someone as close to him as AA was. I believe he was quoted as saying he knew Kane would be in the area at the back door there so he put it there. I tend to believe that in looking at it.
fair enuf.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
ohhhhh i beg to differ. even thou that may have look like that, actually AA was skating toward the net behind Schm, i bet that pass was meant for AA but missed him and Kane was there for the overflow. either way, i came to this conclusion after repeating the snippet of it last nite. another either way, no one will know for sure.

but look at the video.

Schmaltz knew exactly what he was doing. If you look at this game and past highlights this is not the first time he has done something like this. IF he learns to shoot more his potential is scary because how how fast he is and he will get a little heavier. He has a good shot and he needs to use it.

Reactions: Blue Liner

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
ohhhhh i beg to differ. even thou that may have look like that, actually AA was skating toward the net behind Schm, i bet that pass was meant for AA but missed him and Kane was there for the overflow. either way, i came to this conclusion after repeating the snippet of it last nite. another either way, no one will know for sure.

but look at the video.

No.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Franson is fine as a bottom pairing NHL player. And when he was playing well for a period of time, he was absolutely as good as the Kempny we had seen for most of the year. At his worst this year, Kempny was a 6/7..not 5.

It's certainly not a situation that would cause us to miss the playoffs. Kempny is just simply not a difference maker.
I believe Kempny is certainly a better option than Franson, but it just let's so many other guys fall into better situations because it prevents Q from being Q.

Kempny is properly utilized on the third pairing unlike Franson, Kempny partners very well with Seabrook, and it allows Murphy to go back to his natural side. It's the Rozi/every other scratch defender debate all over again. I'll take the guy in the lineup that plays the minutes/role he should over the guy Q is going to play WAY over his head.

Reactions: TLEH and JaegerDice

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
I don't get this rash to lump Frans on like that. To start the year he was used sparingly but after a few games of him playing well and the team winning and gelling well with him in on the pp especially. It made sense to be playing him.

Rolo

Aug 9, 2011
Debrincat and Schmaltz have been godsends, after losing Panarin. Much needed skill, along side Kane.

But now I'm thinking maybe Panarin should have been dealt for a different player. Perhaps a defender, and Hjalmarsson should have brought back a younger forward like Dvorak/Duclair and co.

Reactions: LDF

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
I don't get this rash to lump Frans on like that. To start the year he was used sparingly but after a few games of him playing well and the team winning and gelling well with him in on the pp especially. It made sense to be playing him.
He was played a bit too much, but they were having trouble finding someone to play with Keith, since Seabrook was awful, Murphy hadn't got adjusted to the team yet, and Rutta/Forsling were playing really well together. Franson started struggling (could be injury related), but I don't understand the hate for him, he was solid when he did play. Franson has the best Corsi% on the team (5 on 5), and he was solid on the PP for a short stretch there.

bobbydigital

Aug 18, 2016
Chicago
I believe Kempny is certainly a better option than Franson, but it just let's so many other guys fall into better situations because it prevents Q from being Q.

Kempny is properly utilized on the third pairing unlike Franson, Kempny partners very well with Seabrook, and it allows Murphy to go back to his natural side. It's the Rozi/every other scratch defender debate all over again. I'll take the guy in the lineup that plays the minutes/role he should over the guy Q is going to play WAY over his head.
I agree that Kempny should be played over Franson on the third pairing. The only issue I have is that Murphy should not be moved back to his natural side. Since he has been moved to his offside, Murphy has been playing much better.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
He was played a bit too much, but they were having trouble finding someone to play with Keith, since Seabrook was awful, Murphy hadn't got adjusted to the team yet, and Rutta/Forsling were playing really well together. Franson started struggling (could be injury related), but I don't understand the hate for him, he was solid when he did play. Franson has the best Corsi% on the team (5 on 5), and he was solid on the PP for a short stretch there.

I don't have any issue with Franson as a depth D guy, but he's not good enough to be a #2 beside Keith for an extended period, and he needs somebody with wheels to play with. So that limits his usage options. Frankly I think Kempny would be as good or better with Franson than he is with Seabrook for basically the same reason - he gives a good offensive Dman with no wheels a skating option to exit the zone.

I agree that Kempny should be played over Franson on the third pairing. The only issue I have is that Murphy should not be moved back to his natural side. Since he has been moved to his offside, Murphy has been playing much better.

I think it's better for everybody the sooner Murphy gets back to his proper side. He played well on his off wing, but there were plenty of scenarios where he was forced to try breaking out or clearing the zone off his backhand, and it didn't go well.

Backyard Hockey

Dealing With It
Feb 13, 2015
Very good game last night:

- Schmaltx was the best player on the ice

- Himo is crazy fast. He's at our rink (Fox Valley) a lot in the offseason and for events. Dude is small but insanely fast. Love the spark he's provided. Sharp is still beyond ripe but Hino seems to have given him a spark

- 4th line has been excellent all sesson. Compare tomorrow last year where there was literally zero chance to pot a goal with the 4th

- kempny looked very solid and wow, a goal from a Dman? He hasn't played in the last 11 games and has a shot many goals as Seabrook and one more than Keith. Guys who played 4 plus minutes of pp each game.

- PP a disaster yet again. Every starts with a face off loss and then a series of terrible entries and some inaccurate Keith shots. For the 'face offs aren't that important' crowd, witness WPG scoring right off a fo and realize that a lost face off on the pp, means a clear and bad entries. At best, 30 secs killed. At worst, a shorthanded chance against. The zone entries are god awful

- forsling had a tough night with a couple of egregious turnovers

- crazy as this sounds, seabrook was quite good last night.

Reactions: BK and BrianE

Backyard Hockey

Dealing With It
Feb 13, 2015
I know everyone loves to hate Sid and calls him a shiner, but do other fans around the league feel that way about Toews? I've really been noticing it a lot this season. Whines after every FO toss. Whines and pouts after he clearly trips and takes a penalty

For those old enough for the Bulls run, he's like John Paxson on skates.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I know everyone loves to hate Sid and calls him a shiner, but do other fans around the league feel that way about Toews? I've really been noticing it a lot this season. Whines after every FO toss. Whines and pouts after he clearly trips and takes a penalty

For those old enough for the Bulls run, he's like John Paxson on skates.

Both Sid and Toews whine a lot so they are very similar in that regard. Jordan and Lebron were/are similar with officials.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
Every player talks to the refs. It's universal gamesmanship at this point.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
Not like Toews and Sid they don't. Whole different world. If Hino or Bouma tried it they would be sitting in the box.

Nah, you can get as mouthy with the refs as you like so long as you don't cross the lines of language (racist, homophobic, etc) or integrity ('you're on the take', how much did you bet on the other guys, yada yada). They'll just tell you to shut up, and you will, because it's time to change off the ice anyway by the time you're done, or they've moved on to drop the puck and you dont want to be the guy out of position cause he was too busy arguing with a ref.

Bouma and Hino are not going to get penalties for saying 'that's a horseshit call' or anything.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
If you're not wearing a letter you're not supposed to talk to the refs like that.

You're not supposed to, but everybody does, after every faceoff toss or every penalty called.

When it comes time to go up to the refs around their little screen area and whatever, yeah, only letters are allowed.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Nah, you can get as mouthy with the refs as you like so long as you don't cross the lines of language (racist, homophobic, etc) or integrity ('you're on the take', how much did you bet on the other guys, yada yada). They'll just tell you to shut up, and you will, because it's time to change off the ice anyway by the time you're done, or they've moved on to drop the puck and you dont want to be the guy out of position cause he was too busy arguing with a ref.

Bouma and Hino are not going to get penalties for saying 'that's a horse**** call' or anything.

Actually this is not really true. No grinder can pull what Toews and Sid do each and every game. Sorry but there is a food chain and stars are at the top and grinders are at the bottom.

You seem like you are trying to spin it a bit, we are specifically talking about the amount of bitching that Sid and Toews do each and every game. Not just talking.

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Very good game last night:

- Schmaltx was the best player on the ice

- Himo is crazy fast. He's at our rink (Fox Valley) a lot in the offseason and for events. Dude is small but insanely fast. Love the spark he's provided. Sharp is still beyond ripe but Hino seems to have given him a spark

- 4th line has been excellent all sesson. Compare tomorrow last year where there was literally zero chance to pot a goal with the 4th

- kempny looked very solid and wow, a goal from a Dman? He hasn't played in the last 11 games and has a shot many goals as Seabrook and one more than Keith. Guys who played 4 plus minutes of pp each game.

- PP a disaster yet again. Every starts with a face off loss and then a series of terrible entries and some inaccurate Keith shots. For the 'face offs aren't that important' crowd, witness WPG scoring right off a fo and realize that a lost face off on the pp, means a clear and bad entries. At best, 30 secs killed. At worst, a shorthanded chance against. The zone entries are god awful

- forsling had a tough night with a couple of egregious turnovers

- crazy as this sounds, seabrook was quite good last night.

Good post. I agree with all of it.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
Actually this is not really true. No grinder can pull what Toews and Sid do each and every game. Sorry but there is a food chain and stars are at the top and grinders are at the bottom.

You seem like you are trying to spin it a bit, we are specifically talking about the amount of *****ing that Sid and Toews do each and every game. Not just talking.

I guess I just don't think they do more than anybody else after each time they're singled out for something.

Stars generally get more attention, so people perceive they do it more. I think the 'Crosby is a whiner' thing was pretty bogus and agenda driven, I think the 'Toews is bitching too much' thing is blown out of proportion and largely fan creatd too.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I guess I just don't think they do more than anybody else after each time they're singled out for something.

Stars generally get more attention, so people perceive they do it more. I think the 'Crosby is a whiner' thing was pretty bogus and agenda driven, I think the 'Toews is *****ing too much' thing is blown out of proportion and largely fan creatd too.

It's a narrative? Really?

This is an opinion based on observing both players and hundreds of others interaction with refs. This is the furthest thing from a "Crosby and Toews are whiners" narrative. Watch for the next few games and you will consistently see that Toews (by ratio) complains and whines more than 99% of other players. This is not a negative agenda against Toews and Sid.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side

Stars generally get more attention, so people perceive they do it more. I think the 'Crosby is a whiner' thing was pretty bogus and agenda driven, I think the 'Toews is *****ing too much' thing is blown out of proportion and largely fan creatd too.

If you think Sidney Crosby and Lance Bouma get the same amount of leeway with the ref I think you're nuts.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
If you think Sidney Crosby and Lance Bouma get the same amount of leeway with the ref I think you're nuts.

He may get more leeway, I just don't think he whines or complains about a call going against him significantly more than Bouma does.

I think all players ***** at the refs when a call goes against them, and we generally only take note when it's a player that anybody has any reason to give a **** about.

Or when they get in trouble and it becomes news. And rest assured if Toews called a ref a ****** like Shaw did, for example, he'd have been penalized too.

But Shaw *****ed his way to the box after every call and nothing really ever happened as long as he didn't stray past the language restrictions. And he was certainly no superstar.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad