GDT: Hawks @ Habs: 6:30PM Central on NBCSN--Let's Reflect On Painful Loss

Status
Not open for further replies.

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
hope schmaltz is back next game and if he is this is what I would do. I believe this club can role 4 effective lines and here is how we can do it.

Saad-Toeas-panik
hartman-schmaltz-kane
sharp- Anisimov -debrincat
hayden-kampf-wingles

I think you can make a case for sharp and hayden to switch spots.

Kero and Bouma don't belong

Ruuta and Kempny are showing great promise as is Forsling despite a few mistakes. Franson was adequate IMO and should be spelling sea brook off in back to backs. I wonder if the scratch of Murphy is going to light a fire under his ass....

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
lmfao. I told myself I wasn't going to come here after the game and just enjoy it but here I am.
I thought Forsling was fine. He's young and he is going to make mistakes, but he is getting better every game.

Just enjoy hockey. The Hawks won.

It's fun to see the Toews line keep kicking ass and CC to put on a clinic, but the Hawks need to play better and we need to start seeing it on a consistent basis (yes, only 4 games into the season and no Schmaltz, i know). They were saying the same on the postgame show, and I'd bet they said the same on the radio.

Perfunctory sayings like "Just enjoy hockey. The Hawks won" are fine and all to a certain point but it's possible to be happy with the caveats of "2 points is 2 points" while also being critical of the Hawks play, which is very much deserving. They've lost the benefit of the doubt that they gained from 2013-15, two first round exits will do that.

The Habs are an offensively challenged team and I expect the Hawks to beat them, but if they keep playing like this where they allow tons of chances and can't get the puck out of their zone quickly enough then they're absolutely going to be in for a rough time when they play against good/great teams.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
hope schmaltz is back next game and if he is this is what I would do. I believe this club can role 4 effective lines and here is how we can do it.

Saad-Toeas-panik
hartman-schmaltz-kane
sharp- Anisimov -debrincat
hayden-kampf-wingles

I think you can make a case for sharp and hayden to switch spots.

Kero and Bouma don't belong

Ruuta and Kempny are showing great promise as is Forsling despite a few mistakes. Franson was adequate IMO and should be spelling sea brook off in back to backs. I wonder if the scratch of Murphy is going to light a fire under his ass....
I disagree. I think Kero proved his worth tonight. The kid plays hard, kills penalties and clears the zone. I am not a Kero fan, but he does belong.

I think you can keep switching Hayden with Sharp throughout the season. You want to keep Sharp's legs fresh for the playoffs. Sharp should get some healthy scratches as well.

I'm torn on Bouma. He's not going to add much. However, we do need his physical presence. Hayden is still too skilled and young to play the agitator/enforcer. Opponents are going to take runs at Kane, Cat, and Schmaltz. Bouma's presence might be necessary.

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
It's fun to see the Toews line keep kicking ass and CC to put on a clinic, but the Hawks need to play better and we need to start seeing it on a consistent basis (yes, only 4 games into the season and no Schmaltz, i know). They were saying the same on the postgame show, and I'd bet they said the same on the radio.

Perfunctory sayings like "Just enjoy hockey. The Hawks won" are fine and all to a certain point but it's possible to be happy with the caveats of "2 points is 2 points" while also being critical of the Hawks play, which is very much deserving. They've lost the benefit of the doubt that they gained from 2013-15, two first round exits will do that.

The Habs are an offensively challenged team and I expect the Hawks to beat them, but if they keep playing like this where they allow tons of chances and can't get the puck out of their zone quickly enough then they're absolutely going to be in for a rough time when they play against good/great teams.

I think we all have to give the team some slack and understand that the only two regulars on D from last years team are 2 and 7. That means 6 new Dmen have to find their way and at this stage of the season 4 games in they are doing fine IMO. The first two games wwere great for the d and the hawks moving the puck out of the zone. half of each of the Tor and MTRL games were alright as well...

Also keep in mind that the forward core also has 6 or 8 players that were not regulars here last year either depending on if you count Saad and Sharp in that.

The growing pains are happening but we are winning, this is precisely what Q and stan needed to do a few years ago. Baptism by fire for some youth, they will make mistakes its up to Q, Ulf and Kevin to teach them the errors and how to correct them and by the playoffs you hope that they have learned.

That is what helped LA win the cup when Toffoli and Pearson were kids and was also the case two season ago in Pitt when sheary and guntzel and rust, maatta did the same...

I for one and happy with what I see so far......

now if we can just cut Tootto, sit Bouma and Kero and play Kampf/Hino/Dauphin

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC

I'll give the Hawks the benefit of the doubt tonight in the 2nd of a back to back on the road after an emotional OT loss. Last night was disappointing. Tonight is a night the Hawks gritted out a win on tired legs.

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
I disagree. I think Kero proved his worth tonight. The kid plays hard, kills penalties and clears the zone. I am not a Kero fan, but he does belong.

I think you can keep switching Hayden with Sharp throughout the season. You want to keep Sharp's legs fresh for the playoffs. Sharp should get some healthy scratches as well.

I'm torn on Bouma. He's not going to add much. However, we do need his physical presence. Hayden is still too skilled and young to play the agitator/enforcer. Opponents are going to take runs at Kane, Cat, and Schmaltz. Bouma's presence might be necessary.

Kero was alright tonight, he back check nicely, hustles, does OK on the PK but he is not a top notch 4th line NHLER like say Kruger was he is more of an AHLER, slightly better than say a Dennis Rasmusson, completely replaceable by many in the system

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
It would be ridiculous of me to make any sweeping statements on the Hawks Cup chances after a few games into the year. I'm not doing that. I'm just saying that if they continue to play the way they did tonight and last night then they're going to have some trouble beating teams in the playoffs. That's not to say they can't/won't turn things around, just that specifically these last two games were not great performances, despite the 3 points.

Cubs2024WSChamps

Tate MacRae follows me on Tiktok
Apr 29, 2015
Brinksy has chemistry with Sharpy and AA. Q needs to just leave those guys alone.

Brinksys shot is ridiculous.

Rutta is solid. Loving his game.

CC is a better goalie then price- I said it.

Not finding any fault in a win.

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
Kero was alright tonight, he back check nicely, hustles, does OK on the PK but he is not a top notch 4th line NHLER like say Kruger was he is more of an AHLER, slightly better than say a Dennis Rasmusson, completely replaceable by many in the system

I am not sure what you were watching but Kero stopped 4 sure thing grade A scoring chances from developing due to his hustling or playing excellent positionaly being at the right place at the right time. He is not that far off behind Kruger and he is noticeably better than last year defensively speaking and not to mention he does have some O in him which I think we will see soon enough.

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
Maybe it's safe to say we are not the team we seen the first two games as well as the last two games. We likely fall somewhere in between and taking 7 out of 8 points against 4 playoff teams from last season including the cup winners is pretty damn good.

One thing you can't deny is the Hawks taking advantage of their opportunities. Lead the NHL with a 17.6 shooting percentage through 4 games,

Sir Loin

Apr 19, 2014
Chicago
I know that over the past 2 or 3 seasons I have beat the **** out of getting Keith off the PP, BUT I legitimately think that every single D man on this roster would be a better fit for the PP

Which is a blessing because now, Keith doesn't have to play every single game situation this season. He ain't getting any younger and a bit less ice time for now would be ideal at this point. Now all you have to do is convince the coach :D

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
I am not sure what you were watching but Kero stopped 4 sure thing grade A scoring chances from developing due to his hustling or playing excellent positionaly being at the right place at the right time. He is not that far off behind Kruger and he is noticeably better than last year defensively speaking and not to mention he does have some O in him which I think we will see soon enough.

I gotta laugh at folks criticising Kero when many of the same folks would be bowing to Kruger if he were to make those defensive plays he made tonight. He's a better all-round player than Kruger, doesn't get rag dolled very often and actually ventures into the offensive zone and makes plays there. He also stays out of the penalty box. ... but he is weak on faceoffs like everyone not named Toews on this team.

Reactions: pvr

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
I gotta laugh at folks criticising Kero when many of the same folks would be bowing to Kruger if he were to make those defensive plays he made tonight. He's a better all-round player than Kruger, doesn't get rag dolled very often and actually ventures into the offensive zone and makes plays there. He also stays out of the penalty box. ... but he is weak on faceoffs like everyone not named Toews on this team.

Not everyone is ragging on him.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN

Agreed. I don't think he will ever be Kruger defensively but he can be a good 4c, who contributes to on the PK and 5v5.

Putt Pirate

Dec 15, 2015
I think people need to realize the Hawks are neither the 10-1 slayers or the egg layers in Toronto. They are a work in progress and will have some time to get the D and youth integrated. Yes, they will struggle in playoffs playing like this for another 72 games. They probably won't make the playoffs if they did which is why it is a wait and see on the players we have that are young/new. It was an opener for one team and the other was considering the game a 'statement' game (which seems odd since the Hawks were eliminated in the first round....maybe 'statement' against the Pens perhaps).

bwana63

carter blanche
Jul 11, 2014
Chi western burbs
HF50, ever consider that they will buyout Seabrook with the new CBA?

Hopefully the cap will go up enough to cover some of the money needed to pay Hartman, Rutta, and Kempny, etc. I do think AA will be moved this summer as well.

That's the ticket.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Lol, if the league let's us compliance buy out Seabs, that's going to be some funny reading on here. Hope you guys are right!

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Kero had 4 give-aways..J
Kerpe was horrible in the corsi shot for /shots against stat..Q just does nit undestand the new NHL...it is about speed..speed to exit the zone...sped to get to lose pucks and cleat...speed to transition of turnovers you create by getting there to take pucks away and force turnovers. Which is why nitnot having Vinny is a big Q issue and why Schmaltz has been missed. .D-Cat with his shot needs a distributor..AA aon't that to the degree necessary ..But neither can you put D-Cat at LW on the Schmaltz Kane line ..does nit wotk for some reason. .Maybe Vinny would be best solution to center D-Cat who I.prefer at LW not RW anyway..If nothing in house can be the correct C solution for D-Cat then they need to make a deal for a C who is the right fit for him.
Because that shot is do goid he needs to fire more of them on net MD needs a more creative C to help in the.puvk movement so he can get open to fire away. But bavk to Kero...average 4C.
.indistinguishable nor worse than many 5Vs around the league who could easily replace him and perform better..S9 please donnotnover-value him.justvas youn9ver-valuedvKriger..Q has the wrong idea of a 4 line team..All 4 lines es mist have speed and be attack threats..that is optimum I the new NHL ..the old days boffins a limited minutes checking or energy line are over ..just as dead oas a 4th line with a designated goon/fighter are long gone .Instead you need speed and skill and transition stack ..attack all the time baby..not this mess Q us presidingniver with sone lines going MIA and running up negative Corsi and negative TK-GV differentials..

For gosh sakes 29 Give-aways to only 6 Take-aways...shows how Q is way off base with his motivation strategy...his line strategy and his personnel decisions..

29-6 GV-TK is a negative differential of 23 ...Imagine ...you are a who pi g negative 23 in this very important stat ...which defines sloppy pkay and lazy play ..

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
If Hartman-Schmaltz-Kane can play close to the potential they showed in the 1st game, then that line stays together. However, if that line falls off and doesn't score - either because Hartman doesn't play well enough or Schmaltz can't stay on the ice - then I would try DeBrincat-Anisimov-Kane as a somewhat lesser version of the Panarin-Anisimov-Kane line of the past 2 seasons. I'm not suggesting DCat is as good as Panarin - but he is a sniper AND distributor similar to Panarin so the same dynamic of that line might work with AA going to the net and DCat and Kane creating on the outside and playing off each other. And, Sharp-Schmaltz-Hartman may not be such a bad thing either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad