GDT: Hawks @ Habs: 6:30PM Central on NBCSN--Let's Reflect On Painful Loss

Status
Not open for further replies.

migi

Feb 25, 2015
If Hartman cant keep up, I think Hayden is next in line. Which I prefer because I just think he as bigger force would be better there than Hartman. But we'll see, first things first: get Schmaltz back.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
I expect that Hartman Schmaltz Kane will be fine moving forward. If not, there are some options for swapping a couple wings out. Hayden or Sharp can move to the 2nd line if need be.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Was able to watch off and on last night, but glad to see they came out with the win. Sounds like maybe they got outplayed, though?

Yes. I attribute a lot of that to the Hawks being on the second night of a b2b, and the Habs having a losing record, playing pretty badly through their first three games coming into their home opener. Hawks weathered the storm in what I expected to be a tough game, and they got the W. That's all I care about right now, considering we're only 4 games into the season.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Was able to watch off and on last night, but glad to see they came out with the win. Sounds like maybe they got outplayed, though?
Be angry about their play in Toronto. The Hawks gritted out a win on a back to back last night. That's a good thing.

Toews is still on his point per game pace. Recognize!!!! :)

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
If Hartman cant keep up, I think Hayden is next in line. Which I prefer because I just think he as bigger force would be better there than Hartman. But we'll see, first things first: get Schmaltz back.
I like what Hartman brings to Kane and Schmaltz,. He's sort of a mini Toews who'll do the dirty work for the line ... with enough skill to put the puck in the net. I don't think Hartman works well with Anismov.

I like Anisimov with Cat. Sharp is still trying to figure out how to play with them. He's trying to mesh with them and not the other way around. I'd like to see Hayden spell Sharp in that line to keep his older legs fresh. However, many of you commented how that line (Cat, Anisimov, Hayden) doesn't seem to work well.

I will say that I'd like to see Hayden with more skill than Bouma and Wingels on his line. However, we do need Bouma somewhat as teams do take big runs at Kane, Schmaltz, and Cat.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
These are the type of game that if the Kane line was not producing last year they Hawks would lose. They won a lot of close games last year but we lost a lof game where Kane was not going hard or it was just not there. This season we have a top 9 that is deep with a Toews line that is dominant. The team overall is in such a better place depthwise.

Q does need to figure out our D pairings though. I would like to see the following.

2-44
6-5
42/82/LS-7

With Seabrook having back to backs off and and the other RD getting breaks when they are nicked up. There is depth there with Franson to do so.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Seabrook isn't going to get B2B's off. Unless there's some sort of injury, it's not happening.

I understand the desire for it to happen, but zero chance.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
These are the type of game that if the Kane line was not producing last year they Hawks would lose. They won a lot of close games last year but we lost a lof game where Kane was not going hard or it was just not there. This season we have a top 9 that is deep with a Toews line that is dominant. The team overall is in such a better place depthwise.

Q does need to figure out our D pairings though. I would like to see the following.

2-44
6-5
42/82/LS-7

With Seabrook having back to backs off and and the other RD getting breaks when they are nicked up. There is depth there with Franson to do so.

I'm 110% not a fan of them being switched up. D partners take a ton of time to build chemistry, and if they're switching partners every handful of games, that will never develop. Look how Seabs and Keith were back in the day when they played together. They always knew where the other was going to be. Blind passes weren't an issue. They fed off each other. They could basically play back there as partners with little to no communication verbally. Which is a huge advantage when you have forecheckers coming in on you.

2-7
44-6
5-42

Leave them like this, IMO, and mess with that as little as possible.

I'd like to see these guys build some chemistry with each other so we can get a real look of what they have.

When they're so new to playing with each other, they're not playing at their best, IMO. Not even close.

Last edited:

SAADfather

Dec 12, 2014
Seabrook isn't going to get B2B's off. Unless there's some sort of injury, it's not happening.

I understand the desire for it to happen, but zero chance.

Yep. Good idea in theory but I don't think there's any chance of that happening.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I'm 110% not a fan of them being switched up. D partners take a ton of time to build chemistry, and if they're switching partners every handful of games, that will never develop. Look how Seabs and Keith were back in the day when they played together. They always knew where the other was going to be. Blind passes weren't an issue. They fed off each other. They could basically play back there as partners with little to no communication verbally. Which is a huge advantage when you have forecheckers coming in on you.

2-7
44-6
5-42

Leave them like this, IMO, and mess with that as little as possible.

I'd like to see these guys build some chemistry with each other so we can get a real look of what they have.

When they're so new to playing with each other, they're not playing at their best, IMO. Not even close.

I get that but Q is a blender and come playoff time everyone needs to know how to player with everyone.

2-5
6-44
42/82/LS-7

Would be ideal for me.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
I get that but Q is a blender and come playoff time everyone needs to know how to player with everyone.

2-5
6-44
42/82/LS-7

Would be ideal for me.
I think any of you commented that the speed of our backline could be a problem going forward. If that's the case, I think we really need Forsling to develop this year. We need his speed.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
I think any of you commented that the speed of our backline could be a problem going forward. If that's the case, I think we really need Forsling to develop this year. We need his speed.

Because I don't think the speed is really an issue other than Seabs and Franson. The others are all pretty mobile back there. It was on full display against the Pens and Jackets.

Last edited:

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN

Speed is only an issue for 7 and 11. 2, 6, 44, and 42 skate well and 5 is a solid but not great skater. 7 is the only truly slow D we have.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Statistically so far this season it looks like Q is using the 3rd line as our "shutdown line" with Kempny and Murphy as the D pair.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
These are the type of game that if the Kane line was not producing last year they Hawks would lose. They won a lot of close games last year but we lost a lof game where Kane was not going hard or it was just not there

Exactly. It's why I was ecstatic about the Saad trade from the beginning.

Just for perspective, the Hawks still put up 6 goals in 2 games where the Kane line was actively shit, let alone not contributing. If the Kane line and the Toews like are both going, the Hawks are unstoppable IMHO. Saad has been such a huge pickup!

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Missed the game last night.... curious to if Kane actually looked like he gave a shit last night, or had something comparable to his pathetic effort in Toronto?

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Missed the game last night.... curious to if Kane actually looked like he gave a **** last night, or had something comparable to his pathetic effort in Toronto?

He was bad other than a couple of shifts. To me, he looked sick/ill. Like he had no legs, no endurance/stamina, and was just battling to move around on every shift.

Reactions: BobbyJet

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Because I don't think the speed is really an issue other than Seabs and Franson. The others are all pretty mobile back there. It was on full display against the Pens and Jackets.
I'm still trying to figure out if Murphy is mobile. You guys seem to be all over place with your assessment of him. Some say he's fast enough. Some say he's slow. What is he? I'm thinking Keith, Kempny, Forsling, and Rutta are fine speed wise. Franson, Seabs, and Murphy are on the slow end?

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011

I think the importance of having speed on defense is nullified a lot if the Hawks are able to breakout of their zone as well as they did the first 7 periods of the season. Having that Nashville option of a mobile Dman skating the puck out of the zone is awesome too, but it's not necessary with an effective and efficient breakout strategy

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I'm still trying to figure out if Murphy is mobile. You guys seem to be all over place with your assessment of him. Some say he's fast enough. Some say he's slow. What is he? I'm thinking Keith, Kempny, Forsling, and Rutta are fine speed wise. Franson, Seabs, and Murphy are on the slow end?

He is not fast or slow. He is a solid skater.

If you were going to rank each player on pure speed it would look something like this.

There are maybe 3-4 10 speed guys in the NHL. McDavid being the fastest and Karlson being the best defensive skater.

Keith : 8-8.5
Kempny: 7.5-8
Rutta: 7
Forsling: 7
Murphy: 5-6
Seabrook: 4 if fresh and 2 if tired
Franson: 2.5

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs

Murphy isn't fast, but he's a solid enough skater back there, overall, to where it shouldn't be an issue. And his positioning looks to be good, typically, which also makes it not so much a factor.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Missed the game last night.... curious to if Kane actually looked like he gave a **** last night, or had something comparable to his pathetic effort in Toronto?

His GAS (give a poop) level seemed quite low. It was weird. Q had him playing with Bouma and Wingles I believe for an extended period of time. Not as in double shifting him, but as in Q realized he didn't have anything.

Reactions: RayP
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad