Rumor: Hawerchuk as Next Jets Coach?

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
I just think its too early for Dale. His coaching career is just getting going and he has allot to prove before he becomes an NHL coach IMO.

Agree.

Now, if someone were to suggest bringing Hawerchuk into St. Johns, I'd be ALL for that. Groom him, and put the pressure on the NHL coach. :nod:

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Agree.

Now, if someone were to suggest bringing Hawerchuk into St. Johns, I'd be ALL for that. Groom him, and put the pressure on the NHL coach. :nod:

Yup....I'd be down with that!

peter sullivan

Winnipeg
Apr 9, 2010
i would have no problem with hawerchuk but in my opinion there is no way chipman would hire him....TNSE have gone out of their way to avoid connection to anything Jets 1.0....Hawerchuk would have to be the absolute number one front runner ahead of all others to get the job.

I'm pretty sure, that french guy who couldn't read, Jason Jaffray, Mike Keane and Mickey Moose are ahead of Hawerchuk in ownership's depth chart.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
I don't care if the next coach of the Jets played in the NHL, I care that he has won - as a coach - in the NHL.

The Thrashers had ex-players as HC's too - John Anderson, Craig Ramsey - with little success.

I say bring in a guy that has had success as a NHL HC. Pat Quinn still around?

wpgsilver

Jun 14, 2011
Winnipeg
simple answer:
how many games have you watched that Hawerchuk's coached?
how much of an inside scoop do you have about his relationship with his players?

we're not as smart as we think we are

Oh I know nothing :laugh:
All I was saying was that if Chevy thinks Dale is the guy, what pundits say doesn't matter to me. If our hockey ops guys think he's capable then so be it. But Bob McKenzie's saying he's great doesn't alone sell me on him.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
i would have no problem with hawerchuk but in my opinion there is no way chipman would hire him....TNSE have gone out of their way to avoid connection to anything Jets 1.0...Hawerchuk would have to be the absolute number one front runner ahead of all others to get the job.

I'm pretty sure, that french guy who couldn't read, Jason Jaffray, Mike Keane and Mickey Moose are ahead of Hawerchuk in ownership's depth chart.

The problem with your post is, it's completely false. You must have missed when Teemu Selanne came to town, and they did a five minute tribute to him on the jumbo-tron. I know some people like to dump on TNSE, but let's keep it real, ok?

FTR...."That french guy who couldn't read" was a great NHL head coach. His name was Jacques Demers, and led the Canadiens to their last Stanley Cup, and was one of the top NHL coaches through the 80's and 90's

Last edited:

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Oh I know nothing :laugh:
All I was saying was that if Chevy thinks Dale is the guy, what pundits say doesn't matter to me. If our hockey ops guys think he's capable then so be it. But Bob McKenzie's saying he's great doesn't alone sell me on him.

My big problem is that Hawerchuk feels like another TNSE hire. Chevy SHOULD be have complete autonomy to hire his head coachs. Owners like Chipman need to step out. No recommendations, nothing. You hire people you trust to run the business, you let them make their own decisions. If they don't get the job done, you find different people, then step out. Mike Haviland looks likes Chevy's guy. If that's the route he wants to go, let him. If it doesn't work out, you replace them, but you gotta trust your subordinates and let me run what you assign to them. Micro-managing does not work.

Problem is that Chevy will never be able to let the world know if Noel or whoever was his hire. This is why micro-managing hurts, it can hurt a GM like Chevy (if he is fired after being forced to hire Noel and then maybe Hawerchuk) when he cannot admit those where not his decisions, yet they clearly were not. Maybe Chevy would choose Hawerchuk, but based on his resume I just don't see it as his decision. NYI shows how micro-managing backfires.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
Claude Noel has played in the NHL and is a winning NHL coach.

Sorry, Claude Noel is a losing NHL coach. Noel has coached NHL teams to 71 wins. He has coached NHL teams to 83 losses. It does not matter that some were OT losses, as they still are considered losses. It's called manipulating the statistics, to make team appear to have better records than they actually do. That's why they do not have a separate category for OT Wins.

I would really like it if the NHL implemented a point system more similiar to World Cup soccer (but not quite):

Regulation Win: 3 points
OT Win: 2 points
OT Loss: 1 point
Regulation Loss: 0 points

It would give teams more incentive to win in regulation time.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
Was Darryl Sutter ever considered for a coaching job for the Jets in 2011? I mean him and Chevy are prairie boys, both have ties to the Blackhawks, and both have had success with different clubs. If we could only turn back time, and hire Sutter in 2011.

wpgsilver

Jun 14, 2011
Winnipeg
To me it comes down to this:

Ask yourself, if Dale never played for the Jets, would he be considered?

I think the answer is no.
And because the answer is no, the thought exercise ends there.
For that reason I would not hire him.

@Holden, I agree that it should be Chevy's call. That's why he was hired.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Was Darryl Sutter ever considered for a coaching job for the Jets in 2011? I mean him and Chevy are prairie boys, both have ties to the Blackhawks, and both have had success with different clubs. If we could only turn back time, and hire Sutter in 2011.

I LOVE Sutter as the coach of the LA Kings. Would HATE him as the coach of the Winnipeg Jets. He coachs ONE style, much as Noel does. Dump the puck and get in on the forecheck. Punish the opponent. Create turnovers with pressure.

Problem is that that is the exact system the Jets play. And the Jets roster is NOT built for that like the Kings roster is. We do not have Brown, King, Carcillo, Nolan, Lewis, Stoll, Clifford, Fraser, etc. That is the roster designed for that style of hockey to create turnovers for attacks with smart offensive players like Kopitar, Richards, Williams, etc. The Jets are a team designed to attack off the rush. They are team that thrives on puck possession. Kane, Wheeler, Scheifele, Byfuglien, Bogosian, Enstrom are rushing players, players that love puck possession and making quick plays off the rush. Kane, Wheeler, etc are USELESS in the cycle game, while every single Kings player is GREAT at cycling. The key about coaching is managing your roster. Sutter nor Noel are good at it, but Sutter has had success since he has been gifted roster that are designed for his system. Noel would be a fine LA Kings coach, much like Sutter is, but both are terribad options for the Winnipeg Jets as they are built. Coachs that can adapt, ala Yeo in Minnesota, are the wave of the future and understand better how to manage rosters. That's what we need. Which is why Haviland has been and will always be my #1 choice.

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007
Osborne Village in the 'Peg
I love the Duck but I have salad dressing in my fridge that's three years old.

I mean we often rag on TNSE for having the audacity to hire an AHL coach...but we now ask for an OHL coach, with 17 years less experience?

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
I mean we often rag on TNSE for having the audacity to hire an AHL coach...but we now ask for an OHL coach, with 17 years less experience?

Let's be patient and wait until a successful NHL coach is available? Claude Noel just is not getting the job done. I was of the opinion that we either fire him early on, or post-season. Perhaps by Christmas, Noel will go back to Israel, and Santa will put something special under the Jets stocking.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
I LOVE Sutter as the coach of the LA Kings. Would HATE him as the coach of the Winnipeg Jets. He coachs ONE style, much as Noel does. Dump the puck and get in on the forecheck. Punish the opponent. Create turnovers with pressure.

Problem is that that is the exact system the Jets play. And the Jets roster is NOT built for that like the Kings roster is. We do not have Brown, King, Carcillo, Nolan, Lewis, Stoll, Clifford, Fraser, etc. That is the roster designed for that style of hockey to create turnovers for attacks with smart offensive players like Kopitar, Richards, Williams, etc. The Jets are a team designed to attack off the rush. They are team that thrives on puck possession. Kane, Wheeler, Scheifele, Byfuglien, Bogosian, Enstrom are rushing players, players that love puck possession and making quick plays off the rush. Kane, Wheeler, etc are USELESS in the cycle game, while every single Kings player is GREAT at cycling. The key about coaching is managing your roster. Sutter nor Noel are good at it, but Sutter has had success since he has been gifted roster that are designed for his system. Noel would be a fine LA Kings coach, much like Sutter is, but both are terribad options for the Winnipeg Jets as they are built. Coachs that can adapt, ala Yeo in Minnesota, are the wave of the future and understand better how to manage rosters. That's what we need. Which is why Haviland has been and will always be my #1 choice.

Excellent post, Holden, really enjoyed reading it and I couldn't agree with you more.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Ugh please Yeo is not the wave of the future. Guy plays the same system as Lemaire used. A very boring trap system. Almost the same system Trotz uses. Suck all the life out of a game and wait for turnovers. Those teams if they fall behind almost never win games.

I think we almost play an identical game to Chicago. A very high tempo system with 2 deep forecheckers and activating the defense almost every time. It is exciting and designed to create a lot of good scoring chances. It can create odd man rushes but the idea there is too limit the shots to the outside and turn the puck back up the ice as quick as possible.

The Jets main problem this year is giving up the big play at the wrong times and allowing goals. A lot of them have been back breakers.

ajmidd12

Know-It-All
Apr 16, 2012
This Planet
Why, oh why, oh why did we not jump on Patrick Roy :(

Or

Alain Vigneault?

Guess we're in for another mediocre dump and chase season. :( We have so much opportunity to get the best out of the players and create a system tailored to our strengths but we're stuck with Claude Noel, Mr. Emotionless. Guy who stands cross armed suckling on lozenges.

Freaking yell at a ref or your players for gods sake man!!!

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Why, oh why, oh why did we not jump on Patrick Roy :(

Or

Alain Vigneault?

Guess we're in for another mediocre dump and chase season. :( We have so much opportunity to get the best out of the players and create a system tailored to our strengths but we're stuck with Claude Noel, Mr. Emotionless. Guy who stands cross armed suckling on lozenges.

Freaking yell at a ref or your players for gods sake man!!!

He was pretty emotional last week during that press conference and during a meeting with the players. They have responded playing there best hockey these past 3 games. They are just not getting rewarded with wins for it.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
He was pretty emotional last week during that press conference and during a meeting with the players. They have responded playing there best hockey these past 3 games. They are just not getting rewarded with wins for it.

I totally agree. Don't get me wrong i'm still very suspect as to wether Noel ahs what it takes to be the guy for this team, but the team has been very competitive the last three games, theirs been some adjustments to the system (especially the breakout) which seems to have made an improvement, and I like the way we've looked as a whole.

Mathmew Purrrr Oh

#meowmeowmeowmeow
Apr 18, 2013
meow

If you're saying Haviland is a Yeo type coach then I'm sold

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

I agree that they have played better. I think most people know what this team is capable of when they play to their potential which is what causes all the frustration. I can easily handle losses like last night when the team battles hard till the end. I just don't know why it takes Noel pretty much pleading with his team to get them to play like that. Do they not respect him to play hard for him all the time? I don't know, I just feel that we shouldn't have to go through stuff like this for the team to play well. I will give him another couple of weeks to see if he has really turned it around or if this is just another blip on the radar.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada

Haviland is an interesting guy. He wins everywhere he goes, although I'm a little curious why he left Chicago. Also is he a guy who could deal with Byfuglien? Sounds like he's a not the sort of guy who tolerates that sort of "independent play". I realize they were together in CHI, although they did end up shipping Buff out.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
Haviland is an interesting guy. He wins everywhere he goes, although I'm a little curious why he left Chicago. Also is he a guy who could deal with Byfuglien? Sounds like he's a not the sort of guy who tolerates that sort of "independent play". I realize they were together in CHI, although they did end up shipping Buff out.

I think a key question for the Jets is whether any successful team (the team we want to be)/coach would tolerate some of the "independent play" of Byfuglien. Of course we know he can be a great player when he plays under control and picks his spots well.

Jesus Christ Horburn

Aug 22, 2008
Why not Peter Laviolette?

IMO, the Flyers' downfall was always defense and goaltending, but they could at least score goals and the young guys like Giroux, Couturier, Schenn, Simmonds, Voracek (to a degree) broke out under Laviolette so he seems like he's good at developing players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad