Rumor: Hawerchuk as Next Jets Coach?

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
I'm more intrigued by the other name mentioned - Mike Haviland.

I'll admit I had to look him up. He actually sounds like someone right up Chipman and Chevy's alley. Successful AHL coach, assistant in Chicago.

I'd prefer a more experienced NHL coach, but I don't know if there are any out there that we would want and who would want to come to Winnipeg.

I still don't think there's any move till the off-season though.

HPsauce

Jul 3, 2011
Winnipeg
Mike Haviland is Checy's guy. He was in the running when Noel got the gig. Haviland is a winner, I'd rather him then Dale. Either way, the players need someone they respect, the coach has to be the top dog.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Mike Haviland is Checy's guy. He was in the running when Noel got the gig. Haviland is a winner, I'd rather him then Dale. Either way, the players need someone they respect, the coach has to be the top dog.

Haviland is an ECHL coach who lucked out with an assistant coaching job in the NHL, guy NEVER played in the NHL so how on earth would he gain respect from NHL players!:shakehead Next.....

Next Jets coach should be a winning NHL coach who played in the NHL! End of story.

PS I would take Ron Wilson over Hawerchuk or Haviland and I hate Ron Wilson.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Haviland is an ECHL coach who lucked out with an assistant coaching job in the NHL, guy NEVER played in the NHL so how on earth would he gain respect from NHL players!:shakehead Next.....

Next Jets coach should be a winning NHL coach who played in the NHL! End of story.

Just clarifying your concern... why does the next Jets coach have to have played in the NHL? Arguably the greatest coach ever never played a game in the NHL.

No Name Poster

Maurice Navidad
Oct 29, 2011
The Peg

Might want to ask these guys:
Mike keenan- played College hockey
Paul Maurice- Jr only as a player
Ken Hitchcock- never played NHL I don't think even Jr
Mike babcock played jr and Cdn university
Peter DeBoer- played in the IHL
Barry Trotz played jr hockey
Tom Renny- I don't think he played pro
Cory Clouston Ott played cdn university hockey
Michel Therrien played in the AHL
Andy Murray I dont think he played pro
Bruce Boudreau played in WHA drafted by toronto :D

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
I want the next Jet coach to say stuff like this to his players....

"You're playing worse and worse every day and right now you're playing like it's next month."

"You look like you have a five pound fart on your head."

"You guys are getting bent over and they're not using Vaseline."

"If you lose this game you'll take it to your grave ... your ******* grave."

"Don't dump the puck in. That went out with short pants."

"You guys don't want to work during the game?"

-- H. Brooks

DarthMonty

F*** CANCER
Aug 21, 2011
Optimismville

Here's a story of a coach - maybe you might recognize him from the description.

He had an undistinguished playing career, his junior career ended by an injury; then bounced around the Ontario and Quebec junior leagues as a mostly undistinguished assistant or head coach, acummulating more losses than wins, having IIRC, only two winning seasons in ten years, but did win a league championship. Was picked by an expansion team as a relative unknown, then promptly took his team to 3 straight championship finals, before being named HC by a more established team, which he took to the finals and won the championship in only his second season. He eventually amassed a record of 9 finals wins and 15 finals appearances.

Scotty Bowman was considered a "minor league" coach who would never amount to much within the Habs organization, but we all know how that turned out, right?

Sip, I usually enjoy your posts, but don't denigrate Haviland just because he never played in the NHL - I bet there weren't many players that disrespected Scotty Bowman, or that he didn't scare the crap out of, and he never played a single game in the NHL, or even in the AHL or CHL for that matter.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Might want to ask these guys:
Mike keenan- played College hockey
Paul Maurice- Jr only as a player
Ken Hitchcock- never played NHL I don't think even Jr
Mike babcock played jr and Cdn university
Peter DeBoer- played in the IHL
Barry Trotz played jr hockey
Tom Renny- I don't think he played pro
Cory Clouston Ott played cdn university hockey
Michel Therrien played in the AHL
Andy Murray I dont think he played pro
Bruce Boudreau played in WHA drafted by toronto :D

Last head coaches to win the Stanley Cup:

Joel Quenneville 2013, 2010

Darryl Sutter 2012

Dan Bylsma 2009

Randy Carlyle 2007

all played in the NHL, see a pattern?

mondo3

Jun 4, 2011
Anaheim
I too want a coach with NHL coaching experience. I think the bigger question is what type of coaching style do we need with our group of players. Do want want a high emotion, tough discipline kind of coach like Keenan? Teaching coach like Hitchcock? Offensive minded coach like Tortorella? Defensive minded coach like Trotz?

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011

He had an undistinguished playing career, his junior career ended by an injury; then bounced around the Ontario and Quebec junior leagues as a mostly undistinguished assistant or head coach, acummulating more losses than wins, having IIRC, only two winning seasons in ten years, but did win a league championship. Was picked by an expansion team as a relative unknown, then promptly took his team to 3 straight championship finals, before being named HC by a more established team, which he took to the finals and won the championship in only his second season. He eventually amassed a record of 9 finals wins and 15 finals appearances.

Scotty Bowman was considered a "minor league" coach who would never amount to much within the Habs organization, but we all know how that turned out, right?

Sip, I usually enjoy your posts, but don't denigrate Haviland just because he never played in the NHL - I bet there weren't many players that disrespected Scotty Bowman, or that he didn't scare the crap out of, and he never played a single game in the NHL, or even in the AHL or CHL for that matter.

Fine and dandy, I'm playing devils (not NJ) advocate because a lot of guys in here keep bringing up the fact that Noel just had a cup of coffee in the NHL as a player and some feel only a coach who has played in the NHL has respect, well I don't entirley agree, BUT any NHL coach who played in the NHL has that over those coaches who didn't. Should it mean anything: NO, but it does.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Last head coaches to win the Stanley Cup:

Joel Quenneville 2013, 2010

Darryl Sutter 2012

Dan Bylsma 2009

Randy Carlyle 2007

all played in the NHL, see a pattern?

Yeah, I see the pattern of you leaving out coaches :)

Some of the very best coaches never played pro. It`s a fact.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Yeah, I see the pattern of you leaving out coaches :)

Some of the very best coaches never played pro. It`s a fact.

The holes in my pattern were that obvious?;)

Yeah, I keep thinking Scotty Bowman.

peg

Jul 8, 2010

I'm not sure that fear is the great motivator is used to be. In the Bowman era superstars were paid very well, some of them making upwards of $200,000 per year. Many of the guys had to take second jobs in the off season to supplement their incomes. Nowadays even the grunts are incredibly well paid with guys on the top lines rich beyond belief. No fear of not being able to put food on the table. I guess that is part of the challenge coaches now face. It takes a special kind of coach to motivate hockey players over an overly long regular season. To me Hawerchuk seems like he could be that kind of guy.

Rook37

Feb 22, 2013
Winnipeg
Motivation is great but I haven't heard anything good about Hawerchuk's coaching that wasn't associated with the Jets potentially hiring him. Has he been a good coach for Barrie? I think that should be answered before we seriously consider him as our NHL coach; especially because of the posts talking about how the Colts seem to succeed in spite of Hawerchuk, not because of him.

I'm not discounting him entirely, I'd just like him to get a bit more experience under his belt as far as coaching goes. I'd be more comfortable with someone like Haviland, who's won awards for his coaching and been around professional hockey in a coaching capacity since 2005 (AHL Head coach from 2005-08, and again this season. NHL Assistant with Chicago from 08-12).

I'd still just prefer someone with experience as an NHL head coach (although that's still not a guarantee) but if nobody is available I'd prefer Haviland over Hawerchuk, at least for now. Hawerchuk might be a great choice for us someday, but right now I feel like the only reason his name is so high on the list is his history with the city - I'd like to see more of his coaching before we commit to him and risk tarnishing that relationship and history.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
The Hawerchuk rumours are classic "pull out of butt" style. Oh, he's coaching now, and he played for the Jets, therefore he is a strong candidate to be the Jets next coach.

Personally, I'd like to nominate Phil Housley, played for the Jets, coached the US junior team to gold, Trouba loves the guy, assistant in Nashville...must be a strong candidate to be the Jets next coach. :sarcasm:

Selanne is retiring too. He played for the Jets right? Could be perfect timing to make him our head coach for next season.

Analyst365

Oct 24, 2011
Victoria
And ironically enough was once traded for Hawerchuk.

Since we're talking current assistants

PaddockJohnheadshot.jpg

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
No thanks to Hawerchuck.

And who said Torts is an offensive minded coach?

I'm pretty sure he;s just plain offensive.

I'd like to have Tortorella here though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad