Rumor: Hawerchuk as Next Jets Coach?

koth

Feb 5, 2013
Winnipeg
Haviland is an ECHL coach who lucked out with an assistant coaching job in the NHL, guy NEVER played in the NHL so how on earth would he gain respect from NHL players!:shakehead Next.....

Next Jets coach should be a winning NHL coach who played in the NHL! End of story.

PS I would take Ron Wilson over Hawerchuk or Haviland and I hate Ron Wilson.

Claude Noel has played in the NHL and is a winning NHL coach.

King Woodballs

Captain Awesome
Sep 25, 2007
Your Mind
Last head coaches to win the Stanley Cup:

Joel Quenneville 2013, 2010

Darryl Sutter 2012

Dan Bylsma 2009

Randy Carlyle 2007

all played in the NHL, see a pattern?

So you are saying you want Wayne Gretzky to be the coach?
The greatest ever to play is down right one of the worst coaches in history.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Babcock never played in the NHL guess no players respect him or so did some nobody named Scotty Bowman or Claude Julien or Ken Hitchcock or John Tortorella

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno

Darryl Sutter 2012

Dan Bylsma 2009

Randy Carlyle 2007

so, using you, errr, logic, wouldn't that make Gretzky possibly the greatest head coach ever?
or Maurice Richard?
because we know that's not the case

anyways, i'd be for Ducky as coach only if the pundits agreed that he'd make a hell of an NHL coach. having met Dale 7 years ago and briefly talking to him, he was still not a great conversation or communicator. just watch his HoF speech as a reminder as to how he talks.
we have to stop having this home-town hard-on for every ex-Jet that stepped on our soil. "trade for Teemu", "hire Ducky", "Ray Neufeld for equipment manager". it's tiring

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
Another example of a successful NHL legend being a brutal coach is Maurice Richard. Literally could not even read the lines to the WHA Nordiques without vomiting from anxiety.

wpgsilver

Jun 14, 2011
Winnipeg
so, using you, errr, logic, wouldn't that make Gretzky possibly the greatest head coach ever?
or Maurice Richard?

anyways, i'd be for Ducky as coach only if the pundits agreed that he'd make a hell of an NHL coach. having met Dale 7 years ago and briefly talking to him, he was still not a great conversation or communicator. just watch his HoF speech as a reminder as to how he talks.
we have to stop having this home-town hard-on for every ex-Jet that stepped on our soil. "trade for Teemu", "hire Ducky", "Ray Neufeld for equipment manager". it's tiring

Why do the opinion of Pundits matter?

EpicGingy

Jul 30, 2012
Ontario
Please for the love of god no.

He has literally 3 seasons of coaching experience, all of it in the OHL. There is no way in hell he would be a better option than Noel at this point in his coaching career.

Being a successful hockey player doesn't automatically mean instant all-star Jack Adams award winning coach. This team needs a proven coach with a stick up his ass to beat the players with so that they play like they care 24/7/365.

Mathmew Purrrr Oh

#meowmeowmeowmeow
Apr 18, 2013
meow
I mentioned John Stevens in the other thread (he was on the short list of a number of teams last off season) - anyone wanna comment?

pcanuck

Jun 6, 2011
Edmonton
Hawerchuk is better than Noel, regardless of experience. Noel has no idea what he is doing. However, I would prefer a veteran coach who can put these players in line. It's going to be tough to stand up to the players and the GM when there is a need to bench players after bad performances and/or a lack of effort. But.... anyone is better than Noel at this point.

Tarks

True North
May 12, 2011
Winnipeg
I wouldn't mind seeing Hawerchuk as an assistant here in Wpg and perhaps one day a head coach but I don't want him to be the next head coach of the Jets. I really don't know who I would want to see here. I would love to see Noel turn it around first and foremost.

Mathmew Purrrr Oh

#meowmeowmeowmeow
Apr 18, 2013
meow
I wouldn't mind seeing Hawerchuk as an assistant here in Wpg and perhaps one day a head coach but I don't want him to be the next head coach of the Jets. I really don't know who I would want to see here. I would love to see Noel turn it around first and foremost.

can't have Hawerchuk as an assistant for 2 reasons

1) he'll always be seen as a direct replacement making it awkward for the head coach
2) not a fan of denying the head coach the opportunity to pick his own staff

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
or Maurice Richard?

Go back and read the first page, read what I posted before you jump all over me.:shakehead

mzappa

Jets fans in space
Jun 27, 2011
There are too many excellent NHL-calibre coaches on the sidelines to even consider Hawerchuk at this point.

DarthMonty

F*** CANCER
Aug 21, 2011
Optimismville
Originally Posted by Row 3 Upper View Post
Might want to ask these guys:
Mike Keenan- played College hockey
Paul Maurice- Jr only as a player
Ken Hitchcock- never played NHL I don't think even Jr
Mike Babcock played jr and Cdn university
Peter DeBoer- played in the IHL
Barry Trotz played jr hockey
Tom Renny- I don't think he played pro
Cory Clouston Ott played cdn university hockey
Michel Therrien played in the AHL
Andy Murray I dont think he played pro
Bruce Boudreau played in WHA drafted by toronto

Darryl Sutter 2012

Dan Bylsma 2009

Randy Carlyle 2007

Nope, because I highlighted the guys above who've won Stanley Cups as coaches without ever playing in the NHL -- you think their players had any problems with them not being NHL alumna?

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
Bruce Boudreau played in the NHL. He was the Kyle Wellwood of his generation, short, plump, lazy and talented with the puck.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
Why do the opinion of Pundits matter?

simple answer:
how many games have you watched that Hawerchuk's coached?
how much of an inside scoop do you have about his relationship with his players?

we're not as smart as we think we are

Johnny HFBOARDS

Trade you!
Dec 10, 2011
Earth
Seems like all teams suck when the coach was a better player then the ones he's trying to teach.

But I'd risk it.

Makes no sense to have a coach that can't play hockey.......but they're coaches. Can we hire Hainsey to coach?

bazaaa*

Personally, I'd like to nominate Phil Housley, played for the Jets, coached the US junior team to gold, Trouba loves the guy, assistant in Nashville...must be a strong candidate to be the Jets next coach. :sarcasm:

I kinda like this idea too. Someone with experience atleast. I can't remember who posted it, but they said there were some that arent' a fan of some of Hawerchuk's decisions. Garrett maybe it was.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
I kinda like this idea too. Someone with experience atleast. I can't remember who posted it, but they said there were some that arent' a fan of some of Hawerchuk's decisions. Garrett maybe it was.

Me. He just needs a bit more time as a coach, IMHO. Other than the first year with the Colts, he's had a pretty stacked team playing for him. I think he'll be good, but I also think he needs a bit more time.

Again, this is MO based on watching many games live and pretty much every other Colts game on the OHL network over the last two years. krazy kanuck would probably say the same thing - he's seen even more of the Colts than I have.

Housley would be interesting, for sure.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I just think its too early for Dale. His coaching career is just getting going and he has allot to prove before he becomes an NHL coach IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad