Has Quebec City been priced out of the NHL?

Status
Not open for further replies.

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !
I thought Cherry hates french-canadiens...

I would say that people tried (some are still trying) to give him that etiquette.

As a French-Canadian I never felt that way. We in Quebec play the victim card too much too often.
If you see Cherry when he speaks about guys from the CHL (usually around Memorial Cup) he speaks as much about French-Canadian players from the LHJMQ than he does about other Canadian players in OHL and WHL.

The guy loves hockey, he loves his Canadian hockey and that'a all about that there is.

Thanks Cherry for making Gary look ''puzzled''.

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
I thought Cherry hates french-canadiens...

He once said Europeans and French guys are mostly the guys who wear visors. There was a big uproar about that. Despite the fact that at the time, he was in fact correct. European and French Canadian players were the majority of visor wearers. Where he was wrong is that he also said guys who wear visors feel more invincible so they commit more stick infractions, where, again at the time, they were committing less stick infractions.

Not sure that equates to hating French Canadians. Honestly that was like one of the most controversial things he's ever said on the show. People (mostly those who never watch him) completely overstate how controversial what he says really is.

Baccus

Garage League filled with Mickey Mouse teams
Feb 18, 2014
Bettman looked like he always does, he hardly had to go and stand 5 feet away while they were filming and then go on camera if he was uncomfortable or worried about being mentioned.

He gave his normal non-answer which could have been more placating to Quebec but it's irrelevant as to how anything shakes down in the future.

Hell he even pointed out Jacobs only has one vote.

Hal1971

Mar 26, 2012
Quebec City
Its not Gary's fault that QC fans and Canadian fans cant accept that QC is not happening

Time to move on

The fact you still have fools that think Hamilton is viable shows they will continue to ***** and moan for years to come

As long as there empty arena all over the league, you'll we hear us *** and moan like you say, If you don't like it, just don't read a thread with Quebec on the title where there's a good chance that we will be *** and moaning.... Your comment was pretty disrespectful...

Bookie21

Dec 26, 2017
Everyone from Quebec City needs to cool it on the Gary hate, it probably doesn't help the cause. I honestly believe Bettman wants the Nords back, he has stated as much, wanting to right the wrong like he did in Winnipeg. It is the BOG that doesn't want the Nords back. If the BOG wanted the Nords, they'd be playing hockey already like Vegas.

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
Bettman looked like he always does, he hardly had to go and stand 5 feet away while they were filming and then go on camera if he was uncomfortable or worried about being mentioned.

He gave his normal non-answer which could have been more placating to Quebec but it's irrelevant as to how anything shakes down in the future.

Hell he even pointed out Jacobs only has one vote.
Everyone from Quebec City needs to cool it on the Gary hate, it probably doesn't help the cause. I honestly believe Bettman wants the Nords back, he has stated as much, wanting to right the wrong like he did in Winnipeg. It is the BOG that doesn't want the Nords back. If the BOG wanted the Nords, they'd be playing hockey already like Vegas.
Jacobs said in public that he doesn't want Quebec City. This is his fault, not Bettmans.

Blue Warriors

Apr 11, 2012
St-Lawrence River
Its not Gary's fault that QC fans and Canadian fans cant accept that QC is not happening

Time to move on

The fact you still have fools that think Hamilton is viable shows they will continue to ***** and moan for years to come
That’s one more quote I’m keeping for future use. A « deferred » use. ;)
We may be fools but we know anything can happen with cupid owners and overrated franchise values. Only three things are certain : death, taxes and different ownership rules for Arizona.

Reactions: Llama19

canuckfan75

Jan 14, 2014
The only way Quebec City gets a team is if Ottawa needs to move. other then that I just do not see it by way of expansion. if the league does want to go 34 teams

I only see Houston and Atlanta as the candidates. Assuming Arizona does not move to Houston

garbageteam

Jan 7, 2010
As pessimistic as I have turned towards a short, or even medium-term return for the Nords, I think even the more ardent of QC haters here don't think Atlanta v. 3 would leapfrog Quebec anytime soon given the existing conditions. If 34 teams were to happen (and it won't), it would be 33. Houston 34. Quebec. JMO.

And props to Cherry for telling it like it is.

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
As long as there empty arena all over the league, you'll we hear us *** and moan like you say, If you don't like it, just don't read a thread with Quebec on the title where there's a good chance that we will be *** and moaning.... Your comment was pretty disrespectful...

That’s one more quote I’m keeping for future use. A « deferred » use. ;)
We may be fools but we know anything can happen with cupid owners and overrated franchise values. Only three things are certain : death, taxes and different ownership rules for Arizona.
Listen, I support Quebec but the NHL will put the franchises where it wants to put them. If they don't wan Quebec City, it is what it is.
As pessimistic as I have turned towards a short, or even medium-term return for the Nords, I think even the more ardent of QC haters here don't think Atlanta v. 3 would leapfrog Quebec anytime soon given the existing conditions. If 34 teams were to happen (and it won't), it would be 33. Houston 34. Quebec. JMO.

And props to Cherry for telling it like it is.
Jacobs and Molson are ardent QC haters. You see were that has brought us now.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Jacobs and Molson are ardent QC haters. You see were that has brought us now.

.... huh? You say that with considerable certainty MM, empirically. Are you sure that perhaps you dont mean "the Molsons are arch rivals of the Peladeau's political leanings & their business interests through Quebecor, no love lost"?... I dont know why you'd think Jacobs would have a "serious hate on" for Quebec City or for Pierre Peladeau, Quebecor.... I think he might be aligning himself with the Molsons & other Canadian teams, Bell as well & for purely self dealing reasons.

Theres nothing really in it for him, team in QC is there or did Delaware North do a deal with them at Videotron or no?.... if no, vengeance and useful he scratches the Molsons, MLSE's & Bell's backs, others. Never know when you might need a favor from whomever, already some buttering his bread. So, the old fool, makes **** up about the CDN$, markets too small, how he'd lie awake at night worrying about QC if they ever got in.... also claims he's never heard of CTE, about the NFL's $750M+++ settlement, and under oath. This is the guy who's driven the NHL over the edge with Lockouts twice now. On & on.... Jeremy.... Chairman of the BOG's.... God help us.

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
.... huh? You say that with considerable certainty MM, empirically. Are you sure that perhaps you dont mean "the Molsons are arch rivals of the Peladeau's political leanings & their business interests through Quebecor, no love lost"?... I dont know why you'd think Jacobs would have a "serious hate on" for Quebec City or for Pierre Peladeau, Quebecor.... I think he might be aligning himself with the Molsons & other Canadian teams, Bell as well & for purely self dealing reasons.

Theres nothing really in it for him, team in QC is there or did Delaware North do a deal with them at Videotron or no?.... if no, vengeance and useful he scratches the Molsons, MLSE's & Bell's backs, others. Never know when you might need a favor from whomever, already some buttering his bread. So, the old fool, makes **** up about the CDN$, markets too small, how he'd lie awake at night worrying about QC if they ever got in.... also claims he's never heard of CTE, about the NFL's $750M+++ settlement, and under oath. This is the guy who's driven the NHL over the edge with Lockouts twice now. On & on.... Jeremy.... Chairman of the BOG's.... God help us.
I do. Molson could have refuted the rumors if he wanted. And we all know Jacobs position on the matter.

Reactions: Killion

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
I do. Molson could have refuted the rumors if he wanted. And we all know Jacobs position on the matter.

Welp.... I sure hope your wrong about that MM & he's just being
difficult, cantankerous. Because I'm sure not buying his rationale.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
The only way Quebec City gets a team is if Ottawa needs to move. other then that I just do not see it by way of expansion. if the league does want to go 34 teams

I only see Houston and Atlanta as the candidates. Assuming Arizona does not move to Houston

It should be Florida in Quebec. No way to explain how there is two teams in Florida and one in Quebec. Other than the opportunism of Huizenga in the economic disparity of the 90's. Give the fans hockey, and that old man Jacobs, can go to hell. Never been a man less worthy of being in the Hall.

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
No way to explain how there is two teams in Florida and one in Quebec.

Population - 21m in Florida, 8m in Quebec ... all about "growth potential"

Oh and all the snowbirds from Quebec going to Florida during hockey season!

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
But it's not up to Gary, it's Jacobs and the other 30 owners that decide.

The way the NHL is set up, you only need 7 votes. That is why people call Gary a dictator. He placed his guys and they vote like he wants them to.

Also, I don't think PKP did anything wrong. He was fairly quiet at everything he did. He even cut himself from any association with his sport division when he went into politics. He did everything by the book. He even nominated a strong Federalist politician in Mulroney to represent him to the NHL.

Reactions: rosenqvist

Bookie21

Dec 26, 2017
The way the NHL is set up, you only need 7 votes. That is why people call Gary a dictator. He placed his guys and they vote like he wants them to.
You only need 7 votes? Are you sure. For Vegas, the entire BOG cast ballots, all 30 members. You're saying they only needed 7 votes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad