Has Quebec City been priced out of the NHL?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
That has nothing to do with it. It was the western teams that starting the anti souther campaign years ago to begin with.

Yeah, I really do hope Quebec, Hamilton, Hartford, Seattle, Houston, Atlanta, Kansas City, Milwaukee, who did I leave out? Portland?... all get teams. Just not my city's via relocation. (And i dont see a problem with 40 teams if england can make 92 work for soccer, but i also dont see the north american mindset changing to allow that, sadly)

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
Yeah, I really do hope Quebec, Hamilton, Hartford, Seattle, Houston, Atlanta, Kansas City, Milwaukee, who did I leave out? Portland?... all get teams. Just not my city's via relocation. (And i dont see a problem with 40 teams if england can make 92 work for soccer, but i also dont see the north american mindset changing to allow that, sadly)
I agree, I'm just saying. I saw a tiny amount hoping for Carolina, but most quebec fans I know want expansion. Clean slate imo.

And I agree about 40 teams for sure. It would go a long way to securing a big tv contract.

Frenchy

Administrator
Sep 16, 2006
϶(°o°)ϵ

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Like i said in the past , If the Desmarais family were leading the Nordiques process, insted of PKP, i'm pretty sure that Québec would be in the NHL by now... It's Jim Balsillie saga 2.0

Eh i disagree. I don't think quebec was going to ever be team #32.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Like i said in the past , If the Desmarais family were leading the Nordiques process, insted of PKP, i'm pretty sure that Québec would be in the NHL by now... It's Jim Balsillie saga 2.0

Turned into a bit of a soap opera uh?

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
Wouldn't mattered who the group was, the NHL wasn't going to do a 1 west team and 1 east team expansion. They wanted both spot 31 and spot 32 be western teams.
Would you be saying this if they had chosen Kansas City for expansion?

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Would you be saying this if they had chosen Kansas City for expansion?

They wouldn't had cause no one turned in and application.

KC's group did ask for an application but walked away cause of the 500m. That Group said it was too much.

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007

KC's group did ask for an application but walked away cause of the 500m. That Group said it was too much.
what was seattle's excuse for not submitting an expansion bid at that time?
Exactly GS. The NHL did want Quebec early on, but things changed. The fact jacobs doesn't does not mean everyone agrees. After all Bettman has never said the application was rejected.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010

I wasnt aware they'd "asked for an application" per se' tommy. What I do recall is Lamar Hunt Jr (son of former KC Chiefs owner) calling the $500M Expansion price "a ridiculously big fee". And as far as I know he's been the only individual, head of a consortium or what have you expressing interest beyond the various potential Relo's over the years, Pittsburgh, Nashville etc.... and I dont think any of those Relo's were serious. Using the city, holding out KC as a threat to extort $$$ from wherever.

Youve also got a Mayor & Council down there who are totally averse to providing any sweetheart deals or subsidies & that would pretty much be a prerequisite if anyones going try & tackle what would be a rather challenged market to say the least. Rather daunting really and good for the City in not sticking their necks out, overarching with big league pretensions when they have bigger fish to fry, concerned more with funding basic services, quality of life etc... I just hope & pray QC doesnt wind up being used in the same manner KC has been in the past.

More here; www.thehockeynews.com/news/article/kansas-city-has-holes-to-fill-before-it-can-become-an-nhl-expansion-destination

Last edited:

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !

I would agree except for the fact that the league is more than happy to have that same troublesome Peladeau as a TV partner.

Bookie21

Dec 26, 2017
If I was on the BOG, there's no way in hell I'd want to deal with KP. Way too much baggage. What you'r going to be seeing is the vetting process in pro sports become way more intense. Leagues don't want situations where owners get removed: Jerry Richardson, Donald Sterling, John Spano, etc

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
I wasnt aware they'd "asked for an application" per se' tommy. What I do recall is Lamar Hunt Jr (son of former KC Chiefs owner) calling the $500M Expansion price "a ridiculously big fee". And as far as I know he's been the only individual, head of a consortium or what have you expressing interest beyond the various potential Relo's over the years, Pittsburgh, Nashville etc.... and I dont think any of those Relo's were serious. Using the city, holding out KC as a threat to extort $$$ from wherever.

Youve also got a Mayor & Council down there who are totally averse to providing any sweetheart deals or subsidies & that would pretty much be a prerequisite if anyones going try & tackle what would be a rather challenged market to say the least. Rather daunting really and good for the City in not sticking their necks out, overarching with big league pretensions when they have bigger fish to fry, concerned more with funding basic services, quality of life etc... I just hope & pray QC doesnt wind up being used in the same manner KC has been in the past.

More here; www.thehockeynews.com/news/article/kansas-city-has-holes-to-fill-before-it-can-become-an-nhl-expansion-destination

yea KC is a not going to happen for a team for either NBA or NHL cause of that alone.

Reactions: Killion

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
Gary visibly annoyed at being probed on Quebec. Wasn't even trying to be diplomatic about it.

Reactions: rosenqvist

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Gary visibly annoyed at being probed on Quebec. Wasn't even trying to be diplomatic about it.

Its not Gary's fault that QC fans and Canadian fans cant accept that QC is not happening

Time to move on

The fact you still have fools that think Hamilton is viable shows they will continue to bitch and moan for years to come

Reactions: Atticus Finch

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
Yes it's up to the board at the end of the day. Ron tried to make Bettman 'squirm' about Winnipeg too.

It had no impact either way and we know how that turned out.

Reactions: powerstuck
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad