Has Quebec City been priced out of the NHL?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
It should be Florida in Quebec. No way to explain how there is two teams in Florida and one in Quebec. Other than the opportunism of Huizenga in the economic disparity of the 90's. Give the fans hockey, and that old man Jacobs, can go to hell. Never been a man less worthy of being in the Hall.

When the Panthers joined the NHL for the 1993-94 season, giving Florida two teams, there were also two teams in Quebec at that time as the Nordiques were still there. It's not fair to say that Florida should be in Quebec when both the Panthers and Nordiques were co-existing at one time. Panthers fans were fortunate in that someone was willing to own the team at one time or another. On the other hand, Nordiques owner Marcel Aubut sold the team to outside interests that wanted a team in Denver. If someone in Quebec wanted to own the Nordiques they could have bought the team from Aubut or worked out an arrangement to partner with him. However, it would not be right to blame Florida for Quebec not having a team.

:jets

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
.... and you are still wrong..... what else ya got?

I politely disagree as there were articles last week about the main guy behind the bid

by politics I do not mean about him using the team as leverage to influece a vote to leave Canada--I mean politics in the sense some people view him as a nasty piece of work

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
I politely disagree as there were articles last week about the main guy behind the bid

by politics I do not mean about him using the team as leverage to influece a vote to leave Canada--I mean politics in the sense some people view him as a nasty piece of work

Internal politics within the League for sure, I dont think theres much doubt of that so my apologies for being abrupt with you JTS. No context like that I assumed you were being incendiary... lighting matches.... only that pack is soaking wet & has been for years.... "Nasty piece of work"?... Certainly appears some do hold that opinion. Yes indeedy. Fickle. Intransigent. Shallow. Narcissistic. Opportunistic. Nepotistic. Egoist. +++. Just like most of the rest of the members of the BOG's. Fit right in.

Reactions: rosenqvist

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Internal politics within the League for sure, I dont think theres much doubt of that so my apologies for being abrupt with you JTS. No context like that I assumed you were being incendiary... lighting matches.... only that pack is soaking wet & has been for years.... "Nasty piece of work"?... Certainly appears some do hold that opinion. Yes indeedy. Fickle. Intransigent. Shallow. Narcissistic. Opportunistic. Nepotistic. Egoist. +++. Just like most of the rest of the members of the BOG's. Fit right in.

based upon what I read on line and in a few business journals it sounds like behind closed doors he is difficult to work with and does not play nicely with other children in the sand box(just used as a expression)

but what I think what hurts him in the eyes of the NHL is his willingness to get lawyers involved in the littlest of things

sorry for not clarifying by using " political" in the reference not just in Liberal vs conservative but in the sense of politics of the work place

He is involved politics in the usual form and that does hurt--but it is his back room politics that I think hurts the bid the most

Reactions: Killion

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
based upon what I read on line and in a few business journals it sounds like behind closed doors he is difficult to work with and does not play nicely with other children in the sand box(just used as a expression)

but what I think what hurts him in the eyes of the NHL is his willingness to get lawyers involved in the littlest of things

sorry for not clarifying by using " political" in the reference not just in Liberal vs conservative but in the sense of politics of the work place

He is involved politics in the usual form and that does hurt--but it is his back room politics that I think hurts the bid the most

Yes... now were beginning to agreee. I think so too, thats likely part of the problem.

Blue Warriors

Apr 11, 2012
St-Lawrence River

Is PKP really worse than Spano, Del Baggio, McNall, Eagleson? Barroway tried to sue another owner and was rewarded with a team.The BOG doesn’t mind the Chinese Communist Party. The standards are never the same for Quebec City.

Reactions: powerstuck

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Oh c'mon jts. :laugh: Nowhere near and unlike Andy Barroway he's loaded. Superwealthy. And in terms of character there are in fact far worse amongst the 31 teams owners.

I am thinking of the levels the NHL went to to prevent Arizona moving to Hamilton to the Blackberry guy
for me--the NHL learned after the fact on many owners how big of assholes they were --including Barroway

in this case they know before hand about this guy and do not want to find out later the stuff we do not know about

the question is for many things like this--what to be scared about? "the stuff we do not know about"

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
I am thinking of the levels the NHL went to to prevent Arizona moving to Hamilton to the Blackberry guy
for me--the NHL learned after the fact on many owners how big of *******s they were --including Barroway

in this case they know before hand about this guy and do not want to find out later the stuff we do not know about

the question is for many things like this--what to be scared about? "the stuff we do not know about"

I think I know enough about him that I dont think the NHL has a thing to be worried about, quite the opposite in fact, make for a great owner. However, your absolutely correct in that I'm not, none of us are privy to the whole inside story, scoop. There is some smoke there so sure, could be fire.... dunno. No ones talkin either but what we have heard to me, others, doesnt add up. Definitely something else going on. Character could be a contributing factor & in the negative column, sure. Entirely possible even if hypocritical. I'm not seeing any Boogeyman here. Just a guy who inherited a Hell of a lot of money, built even more wealth on that, and like many, has some strange peccadilloes, ideas, inclinations, eccentricities & so on... rather like a multi-millionaire getting a lousy 8 quid haircut huh jts? o_O

Last edited:

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
Give your heads a shake.

When will you people realize that QC will never get a team. Well, unless another Atlanta situation happens........and that will never happen. The league learned their lesson.
Does anyone really believe we'd have the Jets in Winnipeg if Seattle, Houston, KC, bumf*** Idaho wanted a team?

And the reason the NHLPA and players say nothing......they couldn't give a shit about another team in Canada.

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !
There way too much talk about NHL not wanting to deal with Peladeau.

For what its worth it's not Peladeau himself who would buy the team but one of the entities he owns.

Jeremy Jacobs himself owns the Bruins, not Delaware North.
In Peladeau's case it would be the other way around.

Besides...
Péladeau joined his father’s management team at an early age. He is known to be confrontational with unions and has used lock-out tactics at least 14 times. He counts Brian Mulroney amongst his business associates. Péladeau sits on the boards of several Quebecor companies and is active in many charitable and cultural organizations. Quebecers identify him with his initials, PKP.

Seems to me this is something NHL owners would be okay with.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I still feel like the simple solution is move the Coyotes to Québec. Part with a city disinterested in hockey politics, and move to one that embraces it. Adding Seattle to the fold and Quebec only increases the NHL brand. Having a debt laden franchise that the NHL had to litigate on several occasions doesn't do wonders for the league's appearance. Vegas does.

It seems fairly right to see a franchise in Winnipeg succeeding where economics and politics forced them south. Quebec is of the same mold of fanatical following. Travelling fans. Nordiques getting their history back from the Coyotes would bring the NHL full circle.

And I am still convinced that it makes dollars and sense if Detroit went back to the Central. The scheduling has changed so that their travel would be restricted going East as much as West. At least 56 dates in EST.

But the catch is the revenue ability of the networks having big ticket Detroit playing its most traditional rival Chicago more frequently and popular TV markets like Minnesota, St. Louis, and now Nashville. Much more revenue than against Canadian and Floridian teams. Nordiques fans would actually boost the bottom line of the Florida teams.

A compromise of 6:30 local start times (7:30 EST) against Central rivals would still be in a reasonable broadcast range.

Playoff travel is only an issue if the wild card does not go in your favour.

Don't know if this would be palatable to the heirs of Illitch.

Probably would pass through the BoG.

Houston is the safety valve for Calgary, which would be another franchise coming full circle.

Reactions: rosenqvist

Bookie21

Dec 26, 2017
PKP wants Quebec to be sovereign and the BOG wants nothing to do with that or him. Why is that so hard for people to understand. I'm sure Geoff Molson or Jeremy Jacobs would tell PKP to go to hell if they had the chance

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
Several things here....

NHL is clearly not cutting off Quebec, because the one and only time that an expansion bdi was deferred rather than rejected is the bid by Quebecor/QC. What circumstances would be necessary for them to revisit that bid are unknown.

Detroit to Central: Won't happen for the simple reason that it costs Detroit too much ticket $$ and local TV $$ because the Detroit market will pay much more to watch their Wings play Tor, Mont, Bos than they will pay for Chi/Min/Win or StL or whoever. And, likewise, NYR, Pit, Phil are more valuable to them for a game every other year than LAK, VGK, etc... There is simply no question about this, and it makes a quick QC addition impossible (or else they would be considering in conjunction with Seattle's current bid....)

PKP - I don't know too much about him. Plenty of $$ in Quebecor, I suppose. If he has a reputation for being difficult to deal with, then I could see the BOG hesitating. After all, the problem with the Coyotes >> Hamilton situation was not really Hamilton, it was Balsillie, and the reason for that problem was that he was trying to use the courts to circumvent the normal league process. If there is suspicion that PKP might do the same (although not in relocations, obviously - but in other matters), then I can understand hesitation.

So priced out? No. Waiting for just the right situation? Yes.

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

cowboy82nd

Feb 19, 2012
Newnan, Georgia
Give your heads a shake.

When will you people realize that QC will never get a team. Well, unless another Atlanta situation happens........and that will never happen. The league learned their lesson.
Does anyone really believe we'd have the Jets in Winnipeg if Seattle, Houston, KC, bum**** Idaho wanted a team?

And the reason the NHLPA and players say nothing......they couldn't give a **** about another team in Canada.

The pieces of shit called the Atlanta Spirit sold the Thrashers to the highest bidders. That happened to be Winnipeg.

cowboy82nd

Feb 19, 2012
Newnan, Georgia
I still feel like the simple solution is move the Coyotes to Québec. Part with a city disinterested in hockey politics, and move to one that embraces it. Adding Seattle to the fold and Quebec only increases the NHL brand. Having a debt laden franchise that the NHL had to litigate on several occasions doesn't do wonders for the league's appearance. Vegas does.

It seems fairly right to see a franchise in Winnipeg succeeding where economics and politics forced them south. Quebec is of the same mold of fanatical following. Travelling fans. Nordiques getting their history back from the Coyotes would bring the NHL full circle.

And I am still convinced that it makes dollars and sense if Detroit went back to the Central. The scheduling has changed so that their travel would be restricted going East as much as West. At least 56 dates in EST.

But the catch is the revenue ability of the networks having big ticket Detroit playing its most traditional rival Chicago more frequently and popular TV markets like Minnesota, St. Louis, and now Nashville. Much more revenue than against Canadian and Floridian teams. Nordiques fans would actually boost the bottom line of the Florida teams.

A compromise of 6:30 local start times (7:30 EST) against Central rivals would still be in a reasonable broadcast range.

Houston is the safety valve for Calgary, which would be another franchise coming full circle.

Can you explain that last sentence for me. I don't understand.

HABitual Fan

May 22, 2007
There way too much talk about NHL not wanting to deal with Peladeau.

For what its worth it's not Peladeau himself who would buy the team but one of the entities he owns.

Jeremy Jacobs himself owns the Bruins, not Delaware North.
In Peladeau's case it would be the other way around.

Besides...

Seems to me this is something NHL owners would be okay with.

I read an article which said that this is one of the major stumbling blocks to Quebec getting a franchise. Bettman and the BOG have no desire to have a public traded company purchase a team, this would lead to full public disclosure of financial records of the team and league which they do not want.

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
Is PKP really worse than Spano, Del Baggio, McNall, Eagleson? Barroway tried to sue another owner and was rewarded with a team.The BOG doesn’t mind the Chinese Communist Party. The standards are never the same for Quebec City.

He's got quite an, umm..reputation as a person. Then also his hardcore separatist politics are very divisive in Quebec and make him radioactive in the rest of Canada.

Reactions: Frenchy

Final Baton

Nov 13, 2010
Québec city
I read an article which said that this is one of the major stumbling blocks to Quebec getting a franchise. Bettman and the BOG have no desire to have a public traded company purchase a team, this would lead to full public disclosure of financial records of the team and league which they do not want.
Thanks you for highlighting this. it is not talked about enough. I too believe that this is the main stumbling block, and one of the "logistics" issues the ol' Gary infers too, for sure.

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007

Detroit is staying east. They want to play the maple leafs. Let it go.

Reactions: Atticus Finch

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Several things here....

NHL is clearly not cutting off Quebec, because the one and only time that an expansion bdi was deferred rather than rejected is the bid by Quebecor/QC. What circumstances would be necessary for them to revisit that bid are unknown.

Detroit to Central: Won't happen for the simple reason that it costs Detroit too much ticket $$ and local TV $$ because the Detroit market will pay much more to watch their Wings play Tor, Mont, Bos than they will pay for Chi/Min/Win or StL or whoever. And, likewise, NYR, Pit, Phil are more valuable to them for a game every other year than LAK, VGK, etc... There is simply no question about this, and it makes a quick QC addition impossible (or else they would be considering in conjunction with Seattle's current bid....)

PKP - I don't know too much about him. Plenty of $$ in Quebecor, I suppose. If he has a reputation for being difficult to deal with, then I could see the BOG hesitating. After all, the problem with the Coyotes >> Hamilton situation was not really Hamilton, it was Balsillie, and the reason for that problem was that he was trying to use the courts to circumvent the normal league process. If there is suspicion that PKP might do the same (although not in relocations, obviously - but in other matters), then I can understand hesitation.

So priced out? No. Waiting for just the right situation? Yes.

I still don't get the argument about Detroit, yes Detroit-Toronto is a good sell. But Detroit-Chicago is the highest rated regular season broadcast game in history. You're trying to sell advertising to networks, that's a big deal. St. Louis, Minnesota and Nashville do well tv wise against Detroit. Buffalo, Ottawa, Florida?
It still makes no sense to me. If Detroit-Toronto is such a big sports rivalry, how come they are not in the same division in baseball or basketball? Quebec would increase Canadian viewership. 1 million fans would watch Montreal-Quebec between French and English networks.

It's a simple solution. Tv times are generally altered by 30 minutes as I said. Travel is moot. As with 32 teams I am guessing that 48 games will be played home and away outside the division, with 34 within. So Detroit loses one, maybe two homes dates with To. They draw Dallas instead of Florida. Nashville instead of Tampa, Colorado is the farthest rival but any hockey fan of my era remembers Detroit and Colorado as the best rivalry of the late 90, early millennium.

To me it's the simple solution to boost the NHL's brand. Detroit is a flagship franchise, which has lost its lustre since realignment. Quebec would increase general revenues over Arizona. Bring another passionate hockey city to the fold, with travelling fans to help the bottom line of the NHL and some cities which struggle to fill their rinks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad