Has Quebec City been priced out of the NHL?

Status
Not open for further replies.

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
The United States has had the NHL for 100 years + now. And it rates hockey 6th over all. And generally speaking grow disinterested in their clubs the moment they have any long stretches of suck age.

So really...you are growing a sport in a country that really doesn't care much about hockey as they have other sports they consider their past time. (base ball, football) And that's never going to change.

On the flip side...in Canada you have an entire country who's passion and identity is hockey.

Expanded to the united states might generate more money, and revenue...players end up making more...owners make more.

How does any of that effect the over all "game" of hockey? Oh...you mean I get to see more variety of advertisements on the boards?

More tv time outs?

More hockey players on cereal boxes?

How is any of that great for the game? Like does it make the product of watching the game game or playing the game more enjoyable?

Players were signing up and learning to play hockey when hockey players were making 50 k a year. So it's not like you are getting a higher quality of player. Bobby Orr's era of hockey had player salary not even a fraction of what it is today and yet players still signed up to play hockey...practiced hockey and played hockey on their spare time. So I'm curious why we feel that it's "important" that we expand the game in a country that will never see the game as anything more than it's 6th favorite professional sport.

Explain to me how expanding to the united states makes the game "better".

MORE AMERICAN BORN PLAYERS.

Reactions: Atticus Finch

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
There's more money in the US then Canada.

How does any of that improve the game?

Players salary gets larger...the game stays the same.

The game is seen in more cities in the united states.

It still stays 6th in popularity and the game doesnt change.

Again i ask...how is it good for the game?

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
How does any of that improve the game?

Players salary gets larger...the game stays the same.

The game is seen in more cities in the united states.

It still stays 6th in popularity and the game doesnt change.

Again i ask...how is it good for the game?
The NHL is the game, so if they make more money down south, that's good for them.

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
The NHL is the game, so if they make more money down south, that's good for them.

The game hasn't changed. Unless you want to call more TV time outs, billboards and adverts on the boards...progression to the game.

You still haven't proven how the game is better off...outside of rich people making slightly more money yearly. None of which improved the product.

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
The game hasn't changed. Unless you want to call more TV time outs, billboards and adverts on the boards...progression to the game.

You still haven't proven how the game is better off...outside of rich people making slightly more money yearly. None of which improved the product.
Why, you want me to say it hasn't. It's been sterlized, no fights, no hits, all visors.

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008

They want to grow the game in the USA. They want the game to become more popular in the USA.
They desperately want a huge TV contract in the USA.

How do they do that?

It's no secret Americans identify more with fellow Americans than any other nation identifies with their fellow citizens.......you know American exceptionalism and all that.

We are talking about a country that changed spellings of words and the pronouncement of the letter ZED to distance itself from the evil Brits.:laugh:

The old Superman TV series says it quite nicely The American Way.

US hockey even asked the junior players who is your favourite American player....opps favorite.

So, to get more Americans interested in the game, you get more American born players to play the game starting at the youth level. To do that, have as many American cities with NHL teams, have NHL teams funnel money into youth hockey, have Canadian born players (for now) get out in the community promoting the game and probably in 50 years, us Canadians will be saying, opps what happened?

and as I said in another post........it's working

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
They want to grow the game in the USA. They want the game to become more popular in the USA.
They desperately want a huge TV contract in the USA.

How do they do that?

It's no secret Americans identify more with fellow Americans than any other nation identifies with their fellow citizens.......you know American exceptionalism and all that.

We are talking about a country that changed spellings of words and the pronouncement of the letter ZED to distance itself from the evil Brits.:laugh:

The old Superman TV series says it quite nicely The American Way.

US hockey even asked the junior players who is your favourite American player....opps favorite.

So, to get more Americans interested in the game, you get more American born players to play the game starting at the youth level. To do that, have as many American cities with NHL teams, have NHL teams funnel money into youth hockey, have Canadian born players (for now) get out in the community promoting the game and probably in 50 years, us Canadians will be saying, opps what happened?

and as I said in another post........it's working

All that's well and good but your going out of your way to cater to fans whom will never accept or embrace the sport of hockey more so then the sports already cemented in the culture.

Football, Baseball, Basketball, Golf, Nascar...

MAYBE it takes over golf...MAYBE.

No chance in hell does it surpass the other sports.

So the game is stale. It's stagnant. And it's been watered down to this really passive, version of shimmy pond hockey where the most violent contact we can now talk about is tickling, or licking players after the whistle.

And all while snubbing your real fans in a vain attempt to sell the game to people who really could care less and would rather watch cars go round and round.

So the game itself hasn't improved. All you've done here is define "good for the game" to mean, so owners and NHL execs and some players can make slightly more money then they currently make.

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
Funny you bring up NASCAR, as *their* crusty old hard core fans are also whining constantly about their sport being "watered down" from "The Good old days" to go after "new fans", like Canadians (hence, races at Mosport and, I'm convinced someday again, Montreal... notice even Charlotte has a road course)

Funny stuff.

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
And all while snubbing your real fans in a vain attempt to sell the game to people who really could care less and would rather watch cars go round and round.
And the ones who are at the top doing the snubbing are the Proud, Patriotic Canadian players....excuse me while I vomit.

The vast majority of these good old boys prefer to retire in the land of the free and the home of the brave.....they couldn't give a f*** about Canada. So many of them don't want to play for a Canadian team.

And what do most of the European/Russian players do after they retire, go back home.
American players playing for Canadian teams, you ask?.........go home.

So, when I hear Canadian born players complaining about the lack of a team in QC or snubbing "real fans" I'll take notice but they better hurry up because within 50 years Canadian born players will be a minority.

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
And the ones who are at the top doing the snubbing are the Proud, Patriotic Canadian players....excuse me while I vomit.

The vast majority of these good old boys prefer to retire in the land of the free and the home of the brave.....they couldn't give a **** about Canada. So many of them don't want to play for a Canadian team.

And what do most of the European/Russian players do after they retire, go back home.
American players playing for Canadian teams, you ask?.........go home.

So, when I hear Canadian born players complaining about the lack of a team in QC or snubbing "real fans" I'll take notice but they better hurry up because within 50 years Canadian born players will be a minority.

One of that has anythig to do with what i asked.

How does sellig the game to americans make the game better?

Sure it makes some people wealthier but the actual game. The actual product hasnt gotten better. As a matter of fact its gotten worse.

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
One of that has anythig to do with what i asked.

How does sellig the game to americans make the game better?

Sure it makes some people wealthier but the actual game. The actual product hasnt gotten better. As a matter of fact its gotten worse.
I think the game is okay. It's faster, more skilled, hard hitting and exciting.
No stupid bench clearing brawls anymore and that's an improvement too.

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
Funny you bring up NASCAR, as *their* crusty old hard core fans are also whining constantly about their sport being "watered down" from "The Good old days" to go after "new fans", like Canadians (hence, races at Mosport and, I'm convinced someday again, Montreal... notice even Charlotte has a road course)

Funny stuff.

How can ya water down a slort lik nascar!?

Lol

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
I think the game is okay. It's faster, more skilled, hard hitting and exciting.
No stupid bench clearing brawls anymore and that's an improvement too.

Bench clearing brawls stopped happening after the league introduced a 10 game suspension for leaving the bench.

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
Do you ever watch any of those classic games from the 1960's and 1970's on Leafs TV? Now that was boring hockey.

All the time!

Youtube has some great games in full from the 70s and 80s.

Im not a beta male so i find it very entertaining to watch a cheap hit get followed up with a fight. 0 diving or embelishment and players dealing with nonsense in their own way.

I aint dying to rewatch any of these games now in this new diva league with licking and tickling after the whistle.

Even the highlights sucks.

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
All the time!

Youtube has some great games in full from the 70s and 80s.

Im not a beta male so i find it very entertaining to watch a cheap hit get followed up with a fight. 0 diving or embelishment and players dealing with nonsense in their own way.

I aint dying to rewatch any of these games now in this new diva league with licking and tickling after the whistle.

Even the highlights sucks.
I'll actually agree with you on the diving/embellishment, there does seem to be more of that.
The instigator rule should be revoked. Let players settle it on the ice.

That said, IMO the game is better today than ever. The number of players with high end skill, puck control, speed, hard hitting is miles ahead of where it was.

Bobby Orr, the Canadiens of the 1970's were bright spots in an era that really had a lot of boring games.

One of the worst things that happened to hockey was the Broad Street Bullies, that was not hockey.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
DOM, ARE YOU COMPARING NASCAR, to the Arizona Coyotes mega thread, I hope not

Funny stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad