Has Quebec City been priced out of the NHL?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
same evidence can be applied to Arizona as Florida, tommy

And if NHL actually wanted 15/17 alignment they would have gave Quebec expansion team and relocated coyotes to Seattle. They don't. They want a balance an a balanced alignment league so they aren't going to move coyotes out east at all.

edog37

Jan 21, 2007
Pittsburgh
And if NHL actually wanted 15/17 alignment they would have gave Quebec expansion team and relocated coyotes to Seattle. They don't. They want a balance an a balanced alignment league so they aren't going to move coyotes out east at all.

They’ll move them to Houston long before Quebec

Reactions: FMichael

Bookie21

Dec 26, 2017
Quebec couldn't afford the Coyotes. Indemnification fees to the Habs would be astronomical. Going off the relocation fees the Jets paid, if the Coyotes went for $400 million USD ($525 MIL CAD), the relocation fee would be $220 million USD ($290 mil CAD) Not feasible

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
True North paid 60 million for the relocation fee and that number was based on 170 million that was agreed upon originally for the Coyotes less 110 million ASG wanted for the Thrashers.

If the Coyotes did move to Quebec...or Houston for that matter, the relocation fee will be agreed upon based on the situation which could be zero.

Luckily for Quebecor or Fertitta for that matter, the Coyotes actual value is nowhere near 400 million.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Quebec couldn't afford the Coyotes. Indemnification fees to the Habs would be astronomical. Going off the relocation fees the Jets paid, if the Coyotes went for $400 million USD ($525 MIL CAD), the relocation fee would be $220 million USD ($290 mil CAD) Not feasible

The Habs wouldn't get any territorial fees. Montreal and Quebec City are sufficiently far enough apart to not result in any territorial rights overlap.

Reactions: FMichael

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005

Molson reportedly stated he would not seek any extra fees other than his share of what the whole league will get of a reloc/comp fee.

Coyotes value may be low but that is because the new owner will also assume all liabilities. Cost of the team, paying off debt, breaking contracts + possible reloc fee will make the whole deal likely more expensive than a new franchise.

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !
Molson reportedly stated he would not seek any extra fees other than his share of what the whole league will get of a reloc/comp fee.

Coyotes value may be low but that is because the new owner will also assume all liabilities. Cost of the team, paying off debt, breaking contracts + possible reloc fee will make the whole deal likely more expensive than a new franchise.

To further add to this, Molson also stated that since Quebec isn't in the 50 miles/50 kilometers radius, they are not eligible for any further indemnity.

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
True North paid 60 million for the relocation fee and that number was based on 170 million that was agreed upon originally for the Coyotes less 110 million ASG wanted for the Thrashers.

If the Coyotes did move to Quebec...or Houston for that matter, the relocation fee will be agreed upon based on the situation which could be zero.

Luckily for Quebecor or Fertitta for that matter, the Coyotes actual value is nowhere near 400 million.

The Coyotes, as a business operation, are likely worth less then zero.

But I expect Bettman to ensure that Barroway is made whole regardless of what happens. Bettman's power derives from making sure that those who do the NHL's will are taken care of. How much has Barroway put in now? Likely in the $100m ballpark.

There's also the matter of the considerable debt that the Coyotes franchise has, some of it being held by the NHL.

Between those two things I expect the price tag to be artificially set at around $400m, possibly higher.

Reactions: Mightygoose

sawchuk1971

Jun 16, 2011
put a fork in quebec in getting the nhl back...

saw a thread that bettman wrote an email on december 18, 2017 to mark charest which he said..

"At this point, the NHL does not consider Quebec City to be a franchise expansion or relocation. Sincerely, Gary B. Bettman."

read this at this «Sincerely» – Gary B. Bettman

its in french....you can use the google language translation on google..

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
put a fork in quebec in getting the nhl back...

saw a thread that bettman wrote an email on december 18, 2017 to mark charest which he said..

read this at this «Sincerely» – Gary B. Bettman

its in french....you can use the google language translation on google..

You actually think Bettman is going to say that Quebec is a relocation candidate when no team's are going to be relocated?

No team is relocating and the only expansion candidate they are looking at is Seattle. That comment means nothing.

Bookie21

Dec 26, 2017
Not too sure what is really newsworthy here. Bettman would never talk about relocation, that is not good business. As for expansion, he said they were deferred 3 years ago, and nothing has changed in that regard. Especially with Seattle applying, it'll just push Quebec further down the food chain

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
Agreed with many saying it's not really news worthy. Just by looking at the date being December 18, 2017...just a week or so after the December BOG meeting where they opened up the Seattle only expansion process.

Replace Quebec City with another place not nammed Seattle and we get the same message.

Reactions: Fixxer

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
If I'm not mistaken QC were willing to pay the same as Vegas did and Gary said it was deferred. (he was laughing his little ass off though.)

I said it before, QC will never get a team. Sorry Quebec folks you built a white elephant thinking you were dealing with reputable, ethical and decent people.

Canadian born players don't want to play in Canada, why add another Canadian team?

Winnipeg only got their team back because Gary had no other option.

The league is interested in only growing the game in the good old US of A, so more American kids take up the game and eventually become the majority of the players.

I'd love to see a team in QC, nothing matched the rivalry of Montreal/Quebec City.

But it ain't happening.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
#NHLBruins owner Jeremy Jacobs made it clear that due to market (income, TV) he doesn’t see a NHL team in Quebec City anytime soon. Cited Houston maybe being the next after Seattle.

Pas de retour de la LNH à Québec de sitôt, selon le propriétaire des Bruins

You know, the mind absolutely reels at the stupidity of Jeremy Jacobs. Comment after comment, statement after statement, move after move, beyond stupidity. Dyslexic. Blind. Deaf. Dumb. And he's the Chairman of the BOG's. Complete & utter Moron.

Last edited:
Reactions: OmniCube

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
If I'm not mistaken QC were willing to pay the same as Vegas did and Gary said it was deferred. (he was laughing his little ass off though.)

I said it before, QC will never get a team. Sorry Quebec folks you built a white elephant thinking you were dealing with reputable, ethical and decent people.

Canadian born players don't want to play in Canada, why add another Canadian team?

Winnipeg only got their team back because Gary had no other option.

The league is interested in only growing the game in the good old US of A, so more American kids take up the game and eventually become the majority of the players.

I'd love to see a team in QC, nothing matched the rivalry of Montreal/Quebec City.

But it ain't happening.

Oh i think QC will get a team but under the right conditional aka eastern conference team relocation only. Right now there is no team in the eastern conference that requires the league to relocate them.

If a Western team has to be relocated it's not going to end up in Quebec but well houston.

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
Oh i think QC will get a team but under the right conditional aka eastern conference team relocation only. Right now there is no team in the eastern conference that requires the league to relocate them.

If a Western team has to be relocated it's not going to end up in Quebec but well houston.
There's no eastern team that's up for relocation. I guarantee you if that ever happened, the league would look for any place in the US to put that team and not even consider QC.
and they would find a city, but not QC

Roadrage

Mar 25, 2010
Next door
I think the Videotron Centre will be labeled obsolete by the NHL before it's decided to have expansion go ahead into QC.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
There's no eastern team that's up for relocation. I guarantee you if that ever happened, the league would look for any place in the US to put that team and not even consider QC.
and they would find a city, but not QC

One issue they aren't going to do a 17/15 alignment. And i don't really see any other eastern locations. I still don't see there being another TOR 2 team.

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
You know, the mind absolutely reels at the stupidity of Jeremy Jacobs. Comment after comment, statement after statement, move after move, beyond stupidity. Dyslexic. Blind. Deaf. Dumb. And he's the Chairman of the BOG's. Complete & utter Moron.
Actually he's not.

Jacobs first love is money. He knows the league needs to get a lucrative TV contract. He also knows hockey is not that popular in the US. He knows Americans identify more with fellow Americans than a bunch of foreigners. To make hockey more popular you need more Americans playing the game. More US teams, more $$ from the league to sponsor kids hockey=potential more NHL American players.

and its working.

Reactions: Atticus Finch
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad