Has Gary Bettman Cup presentation night run its course?

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
The every year predictable Cup clinching postgame tradition of Bettman comes out, gets booed mercilessly- do you think it has run its course or is it one of those traditions that never gets old?

Booing Gary Bettman on Cup night each year is almost predictable as Crosby scoring against the Flyers.

In recent years, the NBA has had the legendary Bill Russell present Finals MVP after many years of commissioner David Stern.

Perhaps have a living legend, a HHOF’er like Gretzky or Orr or Ted Lindsay present the Cup/Conn Smythe if it’s a road clincher.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
The every year predictable Cup clinching postgame tradition of Bettman comes out, gets booed mercilessly- do you think it has run its course or is it one of those traditions that never gets old?

Booing Gary Bettman on Cup night each year is almost predictable as Crosby scoring against the Flyers.

In recent years, the NBA has had the legendary Bill Russell present Finals MVP after many years of commissioner David Stern.

Perhaps have a living legend, a HHOF’er like Gretzky or Orr or Ted Lindsay present the Cup/Conn Smythe if it’s a road clincher.
The booing is getting old.

Other than that, it's fine.

Reactions: Genuflexion

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
YES

I like this idea a lot. It's really stupid to have the cup presentation booed. It doesn't have to be the commissioner - find someone else. Gretzky is a good start. Would have to be someone universally loved/respected (ie not Messier) and not biased (ie not Mario - involved with today's Pens). Gretzky a good choice

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012
It would be awesome if they could schedule a hockey legend from any team (with a chance to win it) to hand it over. I guess that doesn't really work well if NSH/SJS/VGK win though.....just use Gretz/Lemieux/Orr for those instances. Bettman should NEVER be a public face of the NHL. Look at it.

Imagine Lemieux handing it Crosby, or Lecavalier? handing it to Stamkos, Orr to Bergeron, Mike Gartner/Bondra to OV(hey it may happen), etc.

I wouldn't be against it suspended via cable from the ceiling either and just have it magically drop down from heaven either. I'm not going to boooooo that awesome spectacle.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
I think it has. The booing is very old by now. Many fans aren't even doing it because they hate him, it's just a tradition you must do. Time to move on.

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012
Whoever had the cup first the previous year would be awesome, passing of the torch..

Hypothetical:
What if PIT loses in the finals this year? Do you bring sad Crosby back out of the locker room to award the cup to the captain you just fought?

Not saying it wouldn't be cool, but the logistics of it could be tough some years. The odds of a team making it to the finals 2 years in a row is higher than you think.

Mods:
"Are they booing or saying Boooooettman?" should be the thread title

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
I think it should be Bettman.

"People boo him". Well, people are stupid.

"It should be Wayne Gretzky!"
"It should be the team that last won it!"
"It should be (some nobody)!"

Those present problems as the years go on if not almost every year. Get real.

Reactions: Bumpus

Stive Morgan

Mhm. Mhm. Mhm.
Jul 25, 2011
British Columbia
I think it should be Bettman.

"People boo him". Well, people are stupid.

"It should be Wayne Gretzky!"
"It should be the team that last won it!"
"It should be (some nobody)!"

Those present problems as the years go on if not almost every year. Get real.

It should be Paul Romanuk

*van Riemsdyk scores OT winner to win the Cup*

"SKERR!"

And now, it is my honour to present the Stanley Cup to James Niewendyk and head coach Mike Bobcat

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
I guess you could just have the guy who carries it around all year present it, who would boo him?

Problem with having a legend present it is that some fanbases might not like him either, and it doesn't feel as neutral as the league, which has no affiliation to any single team, giving it out.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
FWIW, Marek on 31 thoughts 2 weeks ago said that he's heard that Bettman loves doing it and loves the boos.

However, the idea of bringing a legend with him every year to hoist it makes sense. The NBA has Bill Russell at the trophy presentation.

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
FWIW, Marek on 31 thoughts 2 weeks ago said that he's heard that Bettman loves doing it and loves the boos.

Tbh I wasn't really worried about Bettman's feeling about it, I'm sure he can handle it. It just feels a little lame having the Cup awarded to boos every year.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
The commissioner (or equivalent) has presented the cup to the champion for generations. The on-ice presentation has been an tradition since the 1950s. “Run its course”?

What’s run its course is fans acting like a bunch of rubes during the absolute apex of the hockey season.

I agree that the problem is the fans. But you can't control the fans. And fans clearly don't like commissioners.

Why not change it up? The tradition isn't about the commissioner, it's that an important neutral hockey figure presents the cup. You can still keep that tradition by finding someone different than Bettman to do that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad