Has Gary Bettman Cup presentation night run its course?

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Hell no!!!

Bettman is legend! He gives absolutely zero f***s if he gets booed and seems to feed off of it. It is the only reason I watch the presentation, as soon as he is done getting booed and making a snide comment I turn off the tv.

Also Bettman makes 9.5 mil a year do you think he cares if someone boos him?

Tweed

Jun 25, 2006
I think it should drop from the scoreboard the moment the final buzzer sounds... that way we can watch the winners absolutely freak out and scramble for it. It would be the height of joyous pandemonium.

Reactions: Cygnusx1018

harmonica

Apr 21, 2007
Why wouldn't the commissioner present it? This is silly. Bettman definitely deserves some of the hate towards him. However, he also helped transform the sport and deserves a lot of credit.

Reactions: Gunnersaurus Rex

Gunnersaurus Rex

Jan 14, 2008
The Commissioner should always present the Cup. Having former players or broadcasters presenting the championship trophy diminishes it for me. Last thing we all need is a wine-filled Gretzky mumbling words and then awkwardly posing for a photo.

Hal 9000

Nov 19, 2016
Agreed, it should be the commissioner awarding the trophy. The only other alternative is something like the masters. I always thought it was cool that the former years winner presents the newest winner with the green jacket. Maybe there is a way of incorporating both. No more Gretzky please, he’s used up his media time.

Reactions: powerstuck

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !
The owner/Captain of the last cup winner, presenting it to the new cup winner.

In cases of back to back wins (like Pittsburgh last two years), it's the commissionner who does it.

Reactions: SabresSharks

Whaleafs

“The Leafs are mulch again”
Mar 24, 2017
HFX
Gretzky presenting the cup would be perfect if he wasn’t part of the Oilers organization, therefore making him a partisan. Same reasoning against Lemieux. Maybe Orr ?

SabresSharks

Oct 2, 2007
The owner/Captain of the last cup winner, presenting it to the new cup winner.

In cases of back to back wins (like Pittsburgh last two years), it's the commissionner who does it.
Like the previous Masters winner helping the new champion into his green jacket. I like it.

Reactions: powerstuck

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Gretzky presenting the cup would be perfect if he wasn’t part of the Oilers organization, therefore making him a partisan. Same reasoning against Lemieux. Maybe Orr ?

Not to mention Gretzky would pronounce every team captain he handed the Cup off to as the greatest team captain in the history of the NHL.

Reactions: Jeff Babchuk

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Captain of the previous winner handing it off maybe?
I'd rather just stick with Bettman though.

thegoldenyear

RIP Mike Bossy
May 13, 2013
Toronto
Hilarious Jimmy Fallon can do a special "NHL Superlatives - Finals Edition" bit from a raised stage, call the Smythe winner up for some best-of-three beer pong with Gary using Stanley's bowl, and then have Roots play the team captain over for the Cup presentation.

Reactions: CarolinaFlyerFan

puckIuck

Jan 11, 2018
it hasnt mainly because of how great all the boos are. i wonder how loud the boos will be when he hands the cup to the golden knights in pittsburgh

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
I think it has. The booing is very old by now. Many fans aren't even doing it because they hate him, it's just a tradition you must do. Time to move on.

Cup is usually won on away ice too...so that doesnt help. If the Pens won it at home in any of those years Im sure there wouls have been cheers for Uncle Gary.

A win is a win, but would be nice to see the Pens finally win at home(all 5 on the road) ..would be alot more exciting. Instead of the crowd clearing out..the arena is still filled with fans cheering every player who is handed the cup.

Alot of finals have ended in 6 games recently , so if the Pens can get to the finals again...maybe they win at home finally.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Bettman has run its course. Who keeps a President/CEO/Manager of a corporate entity for 20+ years. It's ridiculous.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Bettman has run its course. Who keeps a President/CEO/Manager of a corporate entity for 20+ years. It's ridiculous.

Bettman has done a tremendous job for the league. He's fought to keep teams from relocating, he's expanded at a pace that didn't water down the talent pool. Hes done a lot more good than bad.

And the owners clearly agree, and really only their opinion matters.

Reactions: DL44

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Bettman has done a tremendous job for the league. He's fought to keep teams from relocating, he's expanded at a pace that didn't water down the talent pool. Hes done a lot more good than bad.

And the owners clearly agree, and really only their opinion matters.

He's also had 3 lockouts, multiple team relocations, outright franchise failures, bad TV Ratings, selling out to Rogers and ruining a Canadian classic HNIC, the loss of NHL involvement in the Olympics, a stupid rule book that fans, announcers, coaches. and players are still confused by. Thank GOD, they kind of sort of defined what slashing was this season.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
He's also had 3 lockouts, multiple team relocations, outright franchise failures, bad TV Ratings, selling out to Rogers and ruining a Canadian classic HNIC, the loss of NHL involvement in the Olympics, a stupid rule book that fans, announcers, coaches. and players are still confused by. Thank GOD, they kind of sort of defined what slashing was this season.

The owners didn't want the players to go the Olympics because they don't gain anything from it. In fact they're risking a lot. The health of their most marketable and valuable products which quite honestly makes total sense from their point of view. And the owners are the ones who wanted a lockout. Thats what a lockout is, the owners telling their employees not to come to work. They wanted to control player salaries, and needed to force the NHLPA to accept the structure they wanted.

Plus selling the rights to Sportsnet made the league money. They don't give a shit about HNIC, and CBC has been driving that ship into the ground on their own for over a decade. Who cares? TSN losing national rights is more of a travesty than HNIC going to sportsnet.

Bettman doesn't make these decisions in a vacuum anyway. He hears what the owners want, gives his advice, then executes their orders.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
To answer the OP, no it hasn't run any course. Bettman's Cup presentation and Bettman at the draft are great...

But i definitely wouldn't be opposed to him being accompanied by an alumni great of the winning team as long as they had once won a cup before and aren't employed by the team...

Now that I think about it... that seems complicated...
Fine the way it is.

Darth Bangkok

May 17, 2006
Mogadishu
Betteman should just hand over the Cup when its time and stop lingering with his grubby hands on it for as long as possible, there'd be less booing bc everyone would get on with their lives sooner.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Betteman should just hand over the Cup when its time and stop lingering with his grubby hands on it for as long as possible, there'd be less booing bc everyone would get on with their lives sooner.

All he does is come out, say a few words/ congrats, hands it over, photo op and done..

He has his hands on it only to pass it and take a pic...

What do ya want him to skip?

Much ado about nothing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad