Speculation: Harkins vs Vesalainen

Who is going to have a better NHL career?

• Total voters

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
You are assuming that nothing could have been negotiated with VGK other than what was done. There would have been many other possibilities.

Of course we could have negotiated something else. I just don't feel we handled the draft all that badly.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Of course we could have negotiated something else. I just don't feel we handled the draft all that badly.

Rating it would be a matter of opinion. Could it have been worse? Sure. IMO, it also could have been better. Due to the number of key players on the Jets roster who were exempt, the Jets were in a better position than any other team going in. So our total cost of the XD was probably the lowest of any team. And so it should have been.

With the Jets drafting record, I'm pretty confident Chevy would have picked one of the right players at 13. Of course, there is no way to know that for certain. He might have taken Liljegren.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
^^ After the 2017 draft, I believe Garret had hinted that Liljegren was going to be their guy at #13 if they had not traded down, the Jets liked him and would have taken him if he fell.

I don't think Liljegren would have been a bad pick, ok not as good as Suzuki but he is coming along nicely and could be a 2nd pairing guy. I think people just assume that being a Leafs prospect who doesn't get much hype these days must automatically mean he is on a bust path considering how much Leafs prospects tires are pumped on this board.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
^^ After the 2017 draft, I believe Garret had hinted that Liljegren was going to be their guy at #13 if they had not traded down, the Jets liked him and would have taken him if he fell.

I don't think Liljegren would have been a bad pick, ok not as good as Suzuki but he is coming along nicely and could be a 2nd pairing guy. I think people just assume that being a Leafs prospect who doesn't get much hype these days must automatically mean he is on a bust path considering how much Leafs prospects tires are pumped on this board.

I dont mind him at all and he is a solid prospect. I just don't think he is a much better prospect then Ves is at this point.

Reactions: snowkiddin

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Harkins kind of reminds me of Ryan Kesler or Anthony Cirelli. I believe he'll be very solid for the Jets in the coming years.

Vesalainen I think still has potential, thought he did well in the NHL and feel Maurice should give him a genuine chance but he never gives young guys a chance unless their potential is too high. He held Scheifele back until Little got injured. After that Scheifele showed his true colours.

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
This is a pretty tough question.

Harkins has pretty solid pedigree himself as second round pick in a deep draft. He has good size, smarts, solid hands and above average vision and playmaking. Couple that with his work ethic and much improved skating and I see him having a long career as an above average third line center/winger.

Vesalainen has great size, good hands, a terrific shot, and is a very good skater. He also seems to have come to the realization that he needs to work his ass off in order to make and stick in the NHL. I think there is a path for him here to grow into a second line winger slot over the next couple of seasons if he applies himself.

I like both players but ill say Harkins work ethic and probably greater degree of versatility will carry him to a longer career.
I've had a thing for Harkins since before we picked him. My number one wish was that we'd trade up to the top 8 or so for Connor. Number 2 was that we pick Harkins at 17. Had to wait a day, but got them both!

Clearly I voted Harkins AINEC IMHO. I think both are unlikely to play as high in the lineup as they could though, given the talent ahead of them and a coach with a crippling fear of the unknown.

Al Camino

Jul 18, 2018
The ket
Harkins kind of reminds me of Ryan Kesler or Anthony Cirelli. I believe he'll be very solid for the Jets in the coming years.

Vesalainen I think still has potential, thought he did well in the NHL and feel Maurice should give him a genuine chance but he never gives young guys a chance unless their potential is too high. He held Scheifele back until Little got injured. After that Scheifele showed his true colours.
Sadly as long as Maurice is in charge it safe to say that won’t be happening any time soon. Just wait until Chipman promotes him to GM after this year (bold 2021 prediction)

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
The ket

Sadly as long as Maurice is in charge it safe to say that won’t be happening any time soon. Just wait until Chipman promotes him to GM after this year (bold 2021 prediction)

Oh god... he should just be a player advisor.

But Maurice will not be a GM as Chevy has that job locked up.

Al Camino

Jul 18, 2018
Oh god... he should just be a player advisor.

But Maurice will not be a GM as Chevy has that job locked up.
I'm not sure. I could be wrong but Chevy doesn't have a contract after this season. The team has gotten worse not better in the last three years. Also it was Chipman not Chevy that announced the Maurice extension last year. Plus promoting Maurice would be the most TSNE thing ever.

Al Camino

Jul 18, 2018
Promotes Maurice to GM? This is an absolutely awful take.
Don't get me wrong it would be absolutely a terrible decision. But is it really a stretch to think it wouldn't happen? Maurice moves upstairs and Lowry is the new bench boss. TSNE loves to hire and promote from within. Noel, Zinger, Vincent, even Chevy was an old AHL/IHL guy from back in the day. Loyalty is kind of their unwritten guiding principal for better or (usually) worse.

rubikscube

Oct 27, 2017
Weinerpeg
Don't get me wrong it would be absolutely a terrible decision. But is it really a stretch to think it wouldn't happen? Maurice moves upstairs and Lowry is the new bench boss. TSNE loves to hire and promote from within. Noel, Zinger, Vincent, even Chevy was an old AHL/IHL guy from back in the day. Loyalty is kind of their unwritten guiding principal for better or (usually) worse.

yes.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

You have to wonder what Maurice's career aspirations are at this point in his life. He has coached for a very long time but is still fairly young. I have to think coaching is a pretty tough gig and can wear on you. I wonder if he has been thi lnking about moving up into a management role in which he wouldn't have to travel as much. I doubt he'd move right into a GM role but he could take a AGM role and learn that side of the business.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
You have to wonder what Maurice's career aspirations are at this point in his life. He has coached for a very long time but is still fairly young. I have to think coaching is a pretty tough gig and can wear on you. I wonder if he has been thi lnking about moving up into a management role in which he wouldn't have to travel as much. I doubt he'd move right into a GM role but he could take a AGM role and learn that side of the business.

I agree that moving directly into the GM role is likely out of reach at this point. Given his skillset, I can see him moving into the management ranks, picking up his old work as an analyst or making the switch into player representation -- where his strengths might really shine.

kcin94

Jul 17, 2011

Held him back by having him be the 2nd line center at age 22?

Reactions: WolfHouse

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
In a skating league Harkins worked hard on this aspect to become a pro. Vesalainen still has time. I thought playing in the K brought in some bad habits to his game, like Burmistrov. I think Vesalainen has more PP point potential, as he has good hands in close. Harkins skating will probably make him more of a regular on a Maurice team, that generates speed form the wing. I'm optimistic though that Gustafsson and Vesalainen can be a pretty effective combo, and could be a force on the cycle as they develop.

Reactions: Adam da bomb
Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
Quite the promotion for Vesalainen!

Line rushes from practice today:

Forwards:
Copp-Scheifele-Ehlers
Vesalainen-Stastny-Wheeler
Connor-Dubois-Lewis
Perreault-Lowry-Appleton

Extras: Gustafsson & Toninato

Defense:
Forbort-Pionk
Beaulieu-Morrissey
Stanley-DeMelo

Extras: Niku-Poolman

Powerplay:
PP1: Scheifele, Wheeler, Connor, Stastny & Morrissey.
PP2: Copp, Dubois, Ehlers, Perreault & Pionk. (Lowry gets reps).

Reporters gushing over Vesalainen's last game "His best game as a Jet"

Settle down he played 5 minutes on Thursday. Here's his career TOI in his 9 NHL games sorted by date.

Screen Shot 2021-02-07 at 4.03.47 PM.png

Once Harkins returns from his LBI, it will be interesting to see what transpires. Assuming all remains the same Vesalainen might simply be a place holder on L2

If there was ever an opportunity, this is it for K-Ves.

Last edited:
Reactions: snowkiddin

kcin94

Jul 17, 2011
Quite the promotion for Vesalainen!

Line rushes from practice today:

Forwards:
Copp-Scheifele-Ehlers
Vesalainen-Stastny-Wheeler
Connor-Dubois-Lewis
Perreault-Lowry-Appleton

Extras: Gustafsson & Toninato

Defense:
Forbort-Pionk
Beaulieu-Morrissey
Stanley-DeMelo

Extras: Niku-Poolman

Powerplay:
PP1: Scheifele, Wheeler, Connor, Stastny & Morrissey.
PP2: Copp, Dubois, Ehlers, Perreault & Pionk. (Lowry gets reps).

Reporters gushing over Vesalainen's last game "His best game as a Jet"

Settle down he played 5 minutes on Thursday. Here's his career TOI in his 9 NHL games sorted by date.

View attachment 393806

Once Harkins returns from his LBI, it will be interesting to see what transpires. Assuming all remains the same Vesalainen might simply be a place holder on L2

If there was ever an opportunity, this is it for K-Ves.

Considering Harkins will likely be out for at least a week (Maurice categorizing it as more that day-to-day), KVes will get his shot as that line will not play less than 10 minutes.

Benjamin Doveridge

Apr 15, 2019

Did Maurice hold back Scheifele? Or was he sheltered and allowed to develop? I seem to remember Scheifele being called “Bambi” because he was always falling. Maybe Little being hurt was the exact right time for Scheifele to blossom. Either way it is hard to argue that the Jets didn’t develop Scheifele well considering how he turned out.

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
Harkins in a heartbeat. Quite frankly, I've like his game far more than Vesalainen's game. I would like to see him get a crack at the top nine once again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad