Post-Game Talk: Happy New year ! LEAFS WIN!

Yall are crazy

Dec 11, 2022

Winning a cup is 70% luck. You're gonna be extremely disappointed if you keep basing it on their skull level only. Injuries, mental health issues, the players traded in for your team and other teams, if other teams are tanking, the refs orders from the higher ups etc. It all affects your chances.

We were on almost the exact same wavelength up until this year. It doesn't matter how amazing this team is playing right now, until they win a Playoff round at the absolute very least, I'm not getting my hopes up with them ever again. Even if they went 82-0.
Just be a casual fan

It's
This is the burden a Leaf fan must carry. Akin to the curse of the Bambino, it can only be broken with a Cup win, just one...please...somehow...
Called the curse of Harold ballard

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
Happy new year everyone!

Very solid win tonight, we were clearly the better team and limited their chances. The forwards are so good defensively, it's really impressive

When healthy the Avs will be good, if they can get Horvat or another 2c they jump back as one of the top favourites imo. Being in the West is such an insane advantage compared to the top contenders in the east (Boston, Carolina, Tampa, Toronto)

MilkofthePoppy

Oct 27, 2022
Something is up with Matty. Doesn't seem like his normal self.

Good bounce back game against the Stanley Cup champs.

napoleon in rags

Fred's dead, Baby... Fred's dead
Jun 17, 2009
St. Helena
I noticed that a tone would sound during the play whenever the Leafs power play came to an end. Is that allowed? I've never heard that before. When Avs power play ended there was no tone.

Reactions: Sypher04

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
They only lost Kadri (and Kuemper but he wasn't all that great anyways) and just have some major injuries.

They need a new top 6 center but otherwise they are pretty much the same team when healthy.

Add in the fact that there are not many great teams out West and they should have a fairly easy time. Completely the opposite of the Leafs where 3 of like the top 5 teams in the NHL are in our division each year.

They lost Kadri and Burakovsky and replaced them with bottom six plugs. Losing two legitimately skilled guys from your second line and replacing them with random 30 point tweeners is going to make an impact. It's why I didn't see them as a repeat winner coming into this season. Losing 2/3 of your second line without viable replacements will hurt any roster, even a Cup winning one.

Reactions: Auston Escobar

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
Nice bounceback.

Makes the ARZ loss nothing more than a blip.

I am starting to feel like the lads are getting into something in Scottsdale lol

Happy New Year!!

May 2023 be THE year.

budzz

History is just that.
Jan 26, 2015
I noticed that a tone would sound during the play whenever the Leafs power play came to an end. Is that allowed? I've never heard that before. When Avs power play ended there was no tone.
Yeah i thought I heard that too... Leafs power play ended, and there was a nintendo-like "power up" sound when their guy got back on the ice. Kinda like it actually.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
They switch over and Ottawa has blown a 2-0 lead? Habs lose 9-2? This year has ended great!
Almost a perfect day for me…..

Canada won
USA won
Sweden Lost
Edmonton Lost
Vancouver Lost
Vegas Won
The only blemish…Nashville only got a loser point

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
I'm sure all of us groaned and mentally prepared ourselves for the Leafs to start Leafing again after that Coyotes loss. Coming out and thrashing the defending champs (weakened or not) is yet another statement game that our boys have won. Could it be... dare we dream... that this team has finally grown some mental resilience?

Happy New Year guys!

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Boston's been on a tear all season, yet they lost to OTT and BUF this week. Happens to everyone.

Good win to end the year on a positive note, looking forward to the next one. GLG!!
They have to regress to the norm at some point.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
I'm sure all of us groaned and mentally prepared ourselves for the Leafs to start Leafing again after that Coyotes loss. Coming out and thrashing the defending champs (weakened or not) is yet another statement game that our boys have won. Could it be... dare we dream... that this team has finally grown some mental resilience?

Happy New Year guys!
I dear say the difference is we have competent goaltending

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
I dear say the difference is we have competent goaltending
That's probably the biggest thing, but the skaters are changed as well. They never worked this hard defensively before, and they would never be this consistent in their efforts.

We're getting big contributions from non-core4 forwards. We've got a bunch of young defenders stepping up. We've got two reclamation project goalies who are all-in on their redemption stories. Goaltending might be the biggest factor, but above it all this team has an identity again.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
That's probably the biggest thing, but the skaters are changed as well. They never worked this hard defensively before, and they would never be this consistent in their efforts.

We're getting big contributions from non-core4 forwards. We've got a bunch of young defenders stepping up. We've got two reclamation project goalies who are all-in on their redemption stories. Goaltending might be the biggest factor, but above it all this team has an identity again.
Agreed on this and its lead by AM34. His game is now so detailed in the defensive side.
Love what I'm seeing this team do

Last edited:

francis246

Nov 16, 2007

Happy New Year guys!

The leafs have shown growth the entire year.

The best teams still lose some games here and there. We are not going to go 82-0. I love the passion we have as a fan base. But you really have to sit back and appreciate what a fantastic team we have

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario
They only lost Kadri (and Kuemper but he wasn't all that great anyways) and just have some major injuries.

They need a new top 6 center but otherwise they are pretty much the same team when healthy.

Add in the fact that there are not many great teams out West and they should have a fairly easy time. Completely the opposite of the Leafs where 3 of like the top 5 teams in the NHL are in our division each year.
I'd argue Burakovsky was pretty important.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad