New Head Coach search

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
I don't remember the buzzword name of the structure, but the Oilers switched to playing a defensive system supposedly the same that Vegas had used to win the cup. It went very poorly and fans were clamoring for change AND Skinner was giving up goals left and right.

Honestly a pretty similar situation to Ruff. The team defense LOOKED bad but the numbers weren't a disaster (I think) and Skinner never bailed them out when there was a breakdown. Sound familiar?

Oilers fans have been more gracious in Woodcroft's departure saying he got a raw deal than we were when Lindy got axed. There's similarities but Woodcroft got boned by goaltending way way way more than Lindy ever did. Also Woodcroft had way better years than Lindy ever did here.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards
I'm good if its Woodcroft. I think Marco Strum would be a cool candidate for the assistant job for the forwards too, lots of NHL experience, 4 years assistant coach, 2 years head coach of an AHL team with the best powerplay in the pacific division both years.

I feel like if we didn't have the 22-23 season that we had, Sturm would be a much more likely option for the Devils.

Fitz messes up this coaching cycle / goalie search, that's probably his job, so I just don't think he's going to take that kind of chance on a new NHL coach or a goalie that doesn't have a history of being a 1 (I saw an article which said they should sign Stolarz to be the guy, and I just don't think that would ever happen).

But I definitely think that someone should give Sturm a shot.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
The thing about Woodcroft, not that it necessarily moves the needle much, his previous stop was the ultimate pressure cooker environment. That type of experience is never a bad thing.

I don't even look at that much, the Oilers are built similar to us. Forwards are self explanatory, we don't really have an Evan Bouchard guy but our strength on the backend is the collective talent as opposed to the star power Edmonton has there and then the goalie is just asking them not to shit the bed.

kiwidevil

Doesn't RBD, run a man on man system that people have expressed concern of how it works in the playoffs, but also how much it wears his own players down over a long season?
There's also the concern that the offensive underlying numbers look artificially better, thats why their xG is always high, but actual goals low.

I'd imagine the man and man probably relies heavily on very strong defensive forwards especially, which we are definitely not built for.

I don't claim to know the system or would be able to break it down, but I've heard the factors above mentioned on the way he runs things. He seems like a perfect motivator/buy in coach for sure.

Reactions: My3Sons

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
Brindamour reminds me of Deboer in that their teams always dominate the shot clock but the offensive output doesn't quite match on a consistent basis.

This is strictly anecdotal obviously...but there seems to be a point where teams that dominate puck possession/shots to absurd extents see significant diminishing return. Obviously you don't want to be a team on the opposite side of that spectrum, but my theory is that spending too much game time cycling actually wears out your own players which impacts shot quality, shot percentage, and ultimately offensive production. Teams that have a more equal balance of puck possession and defensive zone play that leads to rush chances/opportunistic scoring seem to be most likely to win it all.

ZYXWVUT

Feb 26, 2024
Doesn't RBD, run a man on man system that people have expressed concern of how it works in the playoffs, but also how much it wears his own players down over a long season?
There's also the concern that the offensive underlying numbers look artificially better, thats why their xG is always high, but actual goals low.

I'd imagine the man and man probably relies heavily on very strong defensive forwards especially, which we are definitely not built for.

I don't claim to know the system or would be able to break it down, but I've heard the factors above mentioned on the way he runs things. He seems like a perfect motivator/buy in coach for sure.
I am definitely not a fan of man coverage in the DZ.

Mgd31

Aug 7, 2007
Levittown, NY

I don't know about his man to man system or it wearing on players in the playoffs. Last year playoffs they gave up the 2nd least goals per game

On the offensive side this year, Carolina was 8th in the league is goals per game. They are 4th in the playoffs so far.

Reactions: My3Sons

kiwidevil

I don't know about his man to man system or it wearing on players in the playoffs. Last year playoffs they gave up the 2nd least goals per game

On the offensive side this year, Carolina was 8th in the league is goals per game. They are 4th in the playoffs so far.
Again, I don't claim to know it in detail, just passing on notes I've heard.

The fit just seems debatable for the Devils, if he needs very strong 2 way players throughout the lineup.

Reactions: Guttersniped

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Again, I don't claim to know it in detail, just passing on notes I've heard.

The fit just seems debatable for the Devils, if he needs very strong 2 way players throughout the lineup.

The counter would be he's never had the star power he'll have here so it might lax a bit. Nico would be an animal in a Rod system, he's tailored made for it.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
At this point even going 7 would be an accomplishment. If they get punted in five as I fear they might, then again I ask why are we so sure Brindy's this great coach when he can never even come close to getting over the hump with the analytic darlings?
It’s a fair question. They have a real finishing problem over there in Raleigh. Is coaching part of it? Are they just not as talented as we think they are and Rod has a good deal to do with the fact that they put up those possession numbers that they do? And their lack of high end talent is what causes the finishing problems? I’m not sure.

It’s definitely a fair question.

I definitely think Paul Maurice sandbags the Panthers, that’s for sure.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I'd prefer Woodcroft over Berube, but I'm okay with either. I have some wariness with Berube just because I'm not sure he fits the personnel we have, but if they're going the disciplinarian route he's probably better than most of the other options.

Which means we'll probably end up with Bleed's favorite coach Todd McClellan lol

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
I'd prefer Woodcroft over Berube, but I'm okay with either. I have some wariness with Berube just because I'm not sure he fits the personnel we have, but if they're going the disciplinarian route he's probably better than most of the other options.

Which means we'll probably end up with Bleed's favorite coach Todd McClellan lol

"Local man in hospital after generational rant on HFBoards"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad