Confirmed with Link: Locker Room Exit Interviews Monday May 6 (Players and Keefe) + Pelley/Shanny/Tre on Friday VIDEO LINK PG 57

Will Keefe be fired next week?

• Yes

Votes: 293 85.9%
  • No

Votes: 48 14.1%

• Total voters

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
"We will treat you poorly until you accept changes to your contract" is not only ridiculous but probably illegal. They're either open to change or they aren't but the lessen is not to hand out NMCs like candy.

Those contracts screwed us and we talked about it at the time. I would rather pay a guy too much than go without the power to improve the team. Unfortunately, Dubas did both.
Don't you think it's ridiculous when a player demands 11M then refuses to work ?

Imagine doing that any other job lmao, ask for a ridiculous amount of money and put in almost no effort and do less than a half ass job ?

Marner is the greediest of the bunch imo. Matthews a close second. He probably doesn't want to risk a new coach coming in and having a down year that could affect his contract.

His ego also struggles with not being liked. He did nothing to redeem himself this season like he did last season, and Nylander pretty much matched Marner's best season of production.

Maybe it's wishful thinking on my part but I think he would be open to a move, especially with a coaching change.

I'm perfectly fine with Shanahan being fired. It's his fault Dubas and Keefe have been here as long as they have. That said, he's probably the least important to get rid of.

Keefe and Marner need to go. Tavares will either walk next season or be signed to a cheap contract as depth. Marner is the worst of the bunch in the playoffs, which is pretty sad considering his competition.

The team can build around Matthews and Nylander for another 6-7 years. A rising cap + 22M from Marner and Tavares could fill out the roster nicely. It would be great if Woll could stay healthy for a season.

They need to hit on more guys like Domi who can compliment Matthews and Nylander and provide similar production at a much lower cost, even if it's not as impactful as Marner or (Tavares of 3 seasons ago). They've tried the all talent approach and attempted to shove square pegs in round holes. It didn't work.
28M with Brodie + Gio coming off the books

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
i think i heard he makes around 6/7m but who really knows

the thing is it'll go from the

GM to Shanny to the Board

to

GM to Pelley to the Board

so outside of saving some cash the structure remains the same and Pelley is no different than Peddie in that neither are hockey guys so i'm not really comfortable with that , not that my opinion means shit , lol
From Shanahan’s performance, I’d say he’s nit s hockey guy either, here’s one of the game’s best power forwards who built a scaredy cat NHL team……

Reactions: Jmo89

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Changes will happen and it needs to get back to Leafs winning the Cup instead of Core 5 winning the Cup as Leafs.

Can Shanny do that after being married to the Core 5 for like 6yrs?
Tre seemed to be able to do it.
Even Keefe to certain extend began to do it but revert back a bit.

I think it’s clear by now that the Core 5 just can’t get it done collectively and changes need to happen.

AM, Willie and Reilly are lock in. That leaves JT and MM. if they refuse to leave or can’t get any good trades. Then so be it but make sure they don’t sign any extensions.

Reactions: CincoHolio

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Didn't Marner just say they're treated like Gods here ROFL?

Oh and my bad for ruining the winning culture Marner and Tavares helped create with their awesome contracts and fantastic playoff performances.
Kind of, he was asked how he felt being a Maple Leaf and he said it means the world to him and that Leaf players are kinda like gods here. So yeah, kind of. It needs context.

Last edited:
Reactions: Da Mash

647Hockey

May 5, 2024
From Shanahan’s performance, I’d say he’s nit s hockey guy either, here’s one of the game’s best power forwards who built a scaredy cat NHL team……
I would had thought Shanny being a HoF player who can do it all, durable, won cups, played for different coaches and teammates would know a lot more about how to build a winning team.

I dont think he and Dubas really know what the hell they are doing except they know how to spend a lot of money on whichever players can score a lot of pts. And that's it. I can do the same thing. Any player 5 years ago who looks like a 80-100 pt player, I offer them 6 years at $70M. Look at that! They all accepted! Wow, thats really hard.

Anything else regarding hockey who cares. The scoring will outweigh everything.

Not just core 4 contracts either. Some of these other ones (ie Matt Murray), Klingberg, etc... are doozies too. And radio guys also said days ago, a ton of players have NMC too so it's hard to move. I think Jeff Oneiil said even David Kampf has a NMC..... "NMC given away like candy".

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
Pelley is already off to a bad start not firing Shanahan. He should fire him and hire a new pres, who will really call the shots.

Shanahan is not going to be here long term, why would you let him influence the long term outlook of the team?

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Pelley is already off to a bad start not firing Shanahan. He should fire him and hire a new pres, who will really call the shots.

Shanahan is not going to be here long term, why would you let him influence the long term outlook of the team?
He might be restructured on Friday for the last year of his contract.

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
Shanahan is probably calling everyone in the league he knows trying to figure out if firing Keefe is good or bad for when he gets fired himself.

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
Friedman on RK&B
  • Thinks the offseason won't happen the way everyone expects it to. Thinks they'll do something that no one sees coming. Expects a curveball
  • Internal discussions, going back to Dubas last year, about eliminating / consolidating the president's role and having that person report directly to CEO Pelley. Not unanimous internally (Bell, Rogers, Tanenbaum) about extra layer of management being needed.
  • If Shanahan is gone, expects the position to go as well.
  • Thinks Keefe being given exit interview options suggest decision has already been made on his future.
  • Points out that last year, Treliving took his time, looked around at other coaching options, and decided that external options weren't as good as Keefe. Says they could take their time, again.
  • Thinks Keefe did a good job this year - overcame injuries on defense, played well in the playoffs, but understands fans frustration. Keefe's interview struck him as someone who believes his time is over. Thinks Keefe will do a good job in this league
  • Doesn't think Sullivan is leaving Pittsburgh, or Cooper is leaving Tampa.
  • Thinks New Jersey has real strong interest in Berube, and if the Leafs want him, they better get moving.
  • Berube has multiple teams heavily interested.
  • Thinks Berube would be intrigued by the Devils because of the young core, but also thinks the Toronto job is appealing because the reward for winning here is immense. Agreed that this market might not be for everybody

• Marner is represented by Darren Ferris - his philosophy has always been to take his client right to free agency. Leafs have to prove that they can hardball someone on negotiations.
  • Thinks Darren has told Marner to go right to free agency.
  • Has no issues with Marner's "god" comment. Thinks he is wired too tight, but cares and tries.
  • If he was around Marner, would ask him if it's worth going through all of this all over again - can see the frustration and pain.
  • Thinks Marner's number is at least Willy's number - $11.5M - $12M.
  • Agrees that the time to deal Marner is this summer. Thinks the egos get involved, and thinks there could be a bit of "I'm not going to let them force me out and I'm going to do it on my terms".
  • Kypreos thinks that if the Marner camp can get an offer of $11.5-$12M x 8 years from a team he can see himself playing for, the deal can get done this summer
  • Thinks the Leafs would be open to letting other teams negotiate an extension with him.
  • There would be 29 teams looking at Marner if he's available
  • Last summer, when they dangled William Nylander, they told teams that they weren't losing a deal - if they didn't get a player of similar stature back, they weren't going to make the move. Ponders whether Toronto's approach changes this summer, for the cap space.
  • Doesn't think Tavares will waive his NMC. Doesn't think they can come back next year with the core 4.

• Expects clarity on Keefe by Friday.
  • Thinks they are looking at things currently, establishing who their targets are
  • Getting mixed messages on whether the league is ready to let Quenneville return.
  • Thinks Leafs will try and extend McCabe.
  • Thinks they'll target Montour, Tanev, or Pesce. Treliving will go after those Dmen. Need to target goalies.
  • They wanted Woll to prove that he could be their number 1 guy, but now concerns turn to whether he can stay healthy
  • Samsonov talking about term suggests he's not coming back. Doesn't think they bring Woll / Samsonov tandem back next season
  • Leafs received a lot of calls about Dennis Hildeby at the deadline - thinks he could be in play.
Thanks for doing this Tak, but it appears many of Freidman's takes contradict each other. He's the master at generating income (clicks).

Reactions: Tak7 and mogs

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
"We will treat you poorly until you accept changes to your contract" is not only ridiculous but probably illegal. They're either open to change or they aren't but the lessen is not to hand out NMCs like candy.

Those contracts screwed us and we talked about it at the time. I would rather pay a guy too much than go without the power to improve the team. Unfortunately, Dubas did both.

would making a player a healthy scratch constitute 'constructive termination' for employment law purposes?

The Masters

Jun 30, 2018
Why tf are we spinning our wheels again? Every year its the same shyt. I better not hear they are going to run it back.

If Treliving doesn't ASK marner and JT to lift NMC, he's a moron. He's gotta be creative to make something work - thats why he was brought in ... to deal with Dumbass' and Shanny's mess. Why are we going in circles every year with the same cap situation? Shanny should stay in NY where he lives and go bug Chris Drury ... thats how you build a proper team

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
New coach doesn’t even need to get extreme about it, let Marner play top-6 + PP like normal but run a system that no longer depends on him. Other players carry the puck in, someone else quarterbacks from the point, Marner plays like a normal hit and run wing instead of LARPing as a C.

Without his free system points he’s looking at a 70-80 point season without needing to visibly sandbag him. That hurts his next contract way worse than purposely torturing him with Kampf minutes where a GM will just ignore the results. A year of regular top-6 winger usage instead of running him as if he’s Kucherov is a realistic look at what he’ll bring to his new team, good luck with the 12+ demands at that point.
Or that...

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
ask marner and jt to waive nmcs.

if they refuse, then you're probably not in a cap position to be a contender next year; it'll be a building year.

use the year to focus on developing prospects. knies, robertson, cowan, holmberg up front; liljegren, niemala on d; woll, hildeby in net.

then the following year, with a lot of cap relief and hopefully some of that young talent bearing fruit... could have a chance.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Let me preface this by saying I think Marner should go. Let me make that 100% clear. I'm not his biggest fan by any means. Why would you do this? Any team worth their salt will see exactly what the Leafs are doing, and so would the PA and every player in the league. That isn't what is going to "devalue" his next contract. His playoff performance is. People know who he is. A dynamic, talented regular season player who doesn't tend to up his game in the playoffs. You put him on the third line out of spite, and you may not even make the playoffs.

Yes, Vegas did Fleury dirty, but they had traded for Lehner and had just signed him to an extension. Fleury was 36, not 27 and didn't have the NMC while with Vegas, IIRC. That was strictly a cap saving move. They had Lehner to step in. We don't have the same luxury.

Like I said, I think Marner should go, but if he doesn't want to waive, I'm not sure he is the villain. The villain is now in Pittsburgh. What is Marner doing that isn't holding up his end of the bargain? Is he sitting out? Refusing to play? Or is it because he hasn't performed well in the playoffs against Boston?

Do I think he should waive? Yes. I think he should give Tre a list of at least ten teams he would accept a trade to. Am I going to blame him if he doesn't? Not sure. He's playing out the contract that he signed, and was given a NMC.

Again, let me be clear. I'm not Marner's biggest fan by any means but if he doesn't want to go, he doesn't have to. It's simple. If the Leafs want to play mind games with him, whether they sit him in press box or limit his minutes to "devalue" his contract, they are hurting no one but themselves. Teams like Tampa, Detroit, Philly and Jersey will thank them, because it will sure as hell help them in a playoff push.

But again, what does that prove? How does that make us better? We could very well miss the playoffs next year with this approach. Do you honestly think any GM won't see what the Leafs are doing? So, Marner takes 10m as opposed to 12 in his next contract.

I agree he needs to go. I think the Leafs will be diplomatic and work with Ferris on a deal. It's probably in everyone's best interests. But again, playing hardball and threatening to sabotage his next contract is not a good look. Why would a player sign here when you're essentially telling him the team is willing to give a NMC but won't stand behind it?

I get we all want change, we all want a scapegoat, but the team has to be careful making emotional kneejerk reactions.
We make the playoffs without him. Especially if you get a goalie and a top 2 d.

Reactions: arso40

The Masters

Jun 30, 2018
Kyper on keefe today:
- some ppl think sheldon keefe is done
- some ppl making suggestions that leafs are making calls to other coaches to see if they have interest

who knows

and I agree with Bourne. Something has to change. Keefe good coach but we have too much losing and no results. Guys need a different voice.

AllHeartNoSkill

Nov 23, 2008
A decent coach will minimize the odds of a significant skids. (honestly, they don't often have losing streaks in the reg)
No they’ve been pretty good about keeping the skids to 3-4 games. But the normally slow starts could invite that.

QJo

Luke Warmtakes
Dec 8, 2016
Ontario
Don't you think it's ridiculous when a player demands 11M then refuses to work ?

Imagine doing that any other job lmao, ask for a ridiculous amount of money and put in almost no effort and do less than a half ass job ?

If that happened I would think it was ridiculous. I would think the league should probably give cap relief and void the contract. Maybe they wouldn't though.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
update on shanny from this guy
i think hes right. fkin shanny survives another day

That’s the real trick. Hire someone new every other year who needs to evaluate the organization before making changes. That way you can keep doing the same thing over but in a sneaky different way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad