Weekes: Hanifin to sign extension around 8 years, $7M AAV?

BoHorvat 53

What's a god to a Kane
Dec 9, 2014

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
View attachment 832975

If they sign Hanifin for 7.000, they'd have $8,914,183 left to sign 3 forwards. One of them likley includes a top-6 winger.

Realsitically, they can sign a UFA winger for up to ~5.000 and still fill out the roster without much issue.
Given the knights history the older players (Martinez and march) will be told to take a hike. Otherwise their model doesn't work.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
This is the one trade that i really don't think the Knights should have made. I mean i don't think they should have made the Hertl trade either, but at least he has a contract past this season.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
This is the one trade that i really don't think the Knights should have made. I mean i don't think they should have made the Hertl trade either, but at least he has a contract past this season.

Vegas has the cojones to think that they can convince Hanifin to change his mind about the Florida teams and sign with them instead. It's a calculated risk in order to extend their window.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
He’s one of the best defencemen in the league. Shocker other teams didn’t pay more, even if he’s only a rental. Maybe it wasn’t the knights year but the price is still shockingly low for what kind of player he is.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
He’s one of the best defencemen in the league. Shocker other teams didn’t pay more, even if he’s only a rental. Maybe it wasn’t the knights year but the price is still shockingly low for what kind of player he is.
That is what happens when you have a ntc and there were rumors that he is Tampa bound in the offseason.

Reactions: Silky mitts

Johnnybegood13

Jul 11, 2003
The Flames offered him an 8 years x 8.5 million deal though.
Link? I know for a fact he turned down 8x7.5 but my source says that was the final offer except a little tweaking on the signing bonus money a week before the deadline, but $60m was the most the flames were willing to go.

Personally I think Calgary dodged a cannon ball here, I like Hanifin but he's a 3-4 Dman who seemingly forgets how to play actual defense for weeks on end and isn't very good on the PP, long term I didn't like anything over $6m.

And so far Miromanov looks like found money, plus with the a 1st and likely 2nd round pick this could be and epic steal.

CellyHard

May 27, 2012
Massachusetts
I'm hoping someone can clarify for me. How/why would the Lightning sign Hanifin this offseason when they have Hedman and Sergachev on the left side and just about 11m in cap space with Stamkos as a UFA?

I feel like they already have such a great core established there, I don't see how its possible to bring in another 7-8 million dollar player without letting their captain go

Maybe I'm wrong but I feel like they would be better of "reshuffling" the deck chairs as some would say and get a few more 2-3 million dollar depth pieces to round out their roster

Reactions: Laus723

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I'm hoping someone can clarify for me. How/why would the Lightning sign Hanifin this offseason when they have Hedman and Sergachev on the left side and just about 11m in cap space with Stamkos as a UFA?

I feel like they already have such a great core established there, I don't see how its possible to bring in another 7-8 million dollar player without letting their captain go

Maybe I'm wrong but I feel like they would be better of "reshuffling" the deck chairs as some would say and get a few more 2-3 million dollar depth pieces to round out their roster

Hedman is going to be 34y next season with 1 year left so I guess thinking Hanifin- Serg is the next duo they’ll build around.
+ Stamkos could very well walk

For Hanifin Florida would make 10x more sense

Reactions: CellyHard

CellyHard

May 27, 2012
Massachusetts
I cant see Stamkos in another jersey but I guess anything is possible. Hedman is still really damn good at 34.

Florida is another one...yes they have the cap space but they also have Reinhart and Montour to resign. They could easily let one of them walk but they have a lot of spots they need to fill. You also have OEL who looks really good there, why not just resign him for probably half the cost?

I guess both Florida fits are possible but they just seem forced to me. Both teams will have to lose a good players as a result, which basically becomes a net-neutral thing in my opinion

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Tampa and Florida seem like weird fits cap wise
If he really wants to be on the east coast

Jersey
Boston
Toronto

Are the only ones who can really fit him. All pretty high taxes and colder though. It would be surprising if he didn’t go to Boston

CellyHard

May 27, 2012
Massachusetts
Tampa and Florida seem like weird fits cap wise
If he really wants to be on the east coast

Jersey
Boston
Toronto

Are the only ones who can really fit him. All pretty high taxes and colder though. It would be surprising if he didn’t go to Boston
Ya Jersey would actually be a really good fit.

If Toronto was smart, they'd trade one of their core four and make a pitch for Hanifin but again, it's just not something I can see happening

dugg133

Jan 11, 2023

Sergachev's full NMC doesn't kick in until July 1, and Hedman is entering the last year of his deal with a 10 team trade list. If JBB was feeling really cold blooded he could try to get out of one of those two and sign Hanifin. Beyond that I really don't see the fit, even if they do move on from Stamkos there's just not enough cap to go around to spend big on another LD.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I cant see Stamkos in another jersey but I guess anything is possible. Hedman is still really damn good at 34.

Florida is another one...yes they have the cap space but they also have Reinhart and Montour to resign. They could easily let one of them walk but they have a lot of spots they need to fill. You also have OEL who looks really good there, why not just resign him for probably half the cost?

I guess both Florida fits are possible but they just seem forced to me. Both teams will have to lose a good players as a result, which basically becomes a net-neutral thing in my opinion

But Hedman is 34y with 1 year left

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
He still signs in Tampa this summer. Hanifin said in a recent interview with Sportsnet that he and his fiance want to be on the East coast.

• Haha
Reactions: thaman8765678

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida
iu

Reactions: Mrfenn92

CellyHard

May 27, 2012
Massachusetts
Lightning could trade Sergachev or someone else and sign him if need be
Why though? I don't get how the lightning would be a better team by doing this? A healthy Sergachev is just as good if not better than Hanifin

Whereas with Boston, they have over 20 million in cap space (probably more when Ullmark is moved) an actual need for a top four LHD and its his hometown.

I don't see the fit

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Lol he is no where close to the top. Choked every time they needed him.

He is solid 2nd pair dman. That’s it. Don’t expect more offense or defense.
It would be a mistake to pay him like a top dman

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Why though? I don't get how the lightning would be a better team by doing this? A healthy Sergachev is just as good if not better than Hanifin

Whereas with Boston, they have over 20 million in cap space (probably more when Ullmark is moved) an actual need for a top four LHD and its his hometown.

I don't see the fit

He's not a great fit here, but where there is smoke there is fire.

Would totally depend on how much Hanifin would want to sign for. Truth is Sergachev's primary attribute that he brings to the table is his offense, but Hedman is still the preferred D on the PP and will continue to be for some time.

We have had no problem scoring goals, we need defensemen that can help us keep the puck out of the net. I'm also not saying we have to trade Sergachev, but that is an option. We could also lowball Stamkos or cut bait on some other player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad