Weekes: Hanifin to sign extension around 8 years, $7M AAV?

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
I thought they were really close to the cap already and they add Hanafin AND Hertl?

They have a lot of expiring money. Martinez, Stephenson, Marchessault, Carrier, Mantha, etc. Close to 18 M by my count.

There is definitely a way to fit Hanifin in even after the Hertl trade and run a very top heavy roster.
Sure but losing Marchessault seems crazy. And you still have like 3 warm bodies to fill. Even at league minimum that seems like they are pushing things.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
They have a lot of expiring money. Martinez, Stephenson, Marchessault, Carrier, Mantha, etc. Close to 18 M by my count.

There is definitely a way to fit Hanifin in even after the Hertl trade and run a very top heavy roster.
They might have that much expiring, but they also have less than $10m in space for next year.

Reactions: Oddbob

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
If Hanifin’s contract in 7 million, it leaves them with 8 million to sign 3 or 4 forwards, goalies and defensemen would be set.

One of the forwards would be Dorofeyev who shouldn’t be too expensive. They could make another half decent forward splash in free agency if they really wanted to and still be okay. Vegas is so well run it’s ridiculous.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
I thought they were really close to the cap already and they add Hanafin AND Hertl?

Sure but losing Marchessault seems crazy. And you still have like 3 warm bodies to fill. Even at league minimum that seems like they are pushing things.

1709965860365.png

If they sign Hanifin for 7.000, they'd have $8,914,183 left to sign 3 forwards. One of them likley includes a top-6 winger.

Realsitically, they can sign a UFA winger for up to ~5.000 and still fill out the roster without much issue.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
View attachment 832975

If they sign Hanifin for 7.000, they'd have $8,914,183 left to sign 3 forwards. One of them likley includes a top-6 winger.

Realsitically, they can sign a UFA winger for up to ~5.000 and still fill out the roster without much issue.
You're looking at lines. Every team carries an extra forward and defenseman at minimum. They can definitely make it work though. Losing one of Stephenson or Marchessault.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
You're looking at lines. Every team carries an extra forward and defenseman at minimum. They can definitely make it work though. Losing one of Stephenson or Marchessault.
I mean you don't have to , I think Dallas played short a man like last week cuz they were running a short roster

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I’m sorry, but exactly what was preventing Hanifin from agreeing to 8x$7M two days ago when it could’ve helped the team that gave him $30M see a little return on that investment.

Thanks for coming up small in every big moment you ever played in.
Because that team could have traded him to any 24 teams (8 team NTC) and he then would have been stuck there for 8 years? Why would you expect the player to give what will be his former team all that power of his future when he doesn't have to?

bigbadbruins1

Dec 12, 2008
Woof. Well we know vegas is definitely in "win for the next few years" mode because all this salary is going to come to a head.

I wonder what they will do when they fix that whole " salary cap doesn't apply in the playoffs" thing they are becoming so fond of exploiting. New CBA is what, 2027? That means they'll likely have a lot dumping to do after that negotiation.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Woof. Well we know vegas is definitely in "win for the next few years" mode because all this salary is going to come to a head.

I wonder what they will do when they fix that whole " salary cap doesn't apply in the playoffs" thing they are becoming so fond of exploiting. New CBA is what, 2027? That means they'll likely have a lot dumping to do after that negotiation.
You’re assuming anyone with actual power wants it “fixed”.

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
Any chance Vegas resign Marchessault or Stephenson this summer?

With the Hertl trade I'd say Stephenson is for sure gone. And that's totally the right move. He's a guy that is going to get overpaid and I'm not sure what he looks like without Stone on his wing.

Marchy I think Vegas is going to find a way to keep somewhere around 6 AAV.

MikeyMike01

U.S.S. Wang
Jul 13, 2007
Hell
Whatever happened to seeing how a new player fits in with your team first before throwing long term contracts at them?

Hasn't anyone learned from the Huberdeau nightmare?

Huberdeau had a year remaining. That’s what it made it so very stupid.

This is a pending UFA. It’s sign-or-lose them time. Seeing them for a couple weeks isn't going to change anything.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad