Value of: Hanifin to Habs at the trade deadline

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
He's 5 FULL NHL seasons into his career, 24 years old, and has been regressing offensively over the last three years (averaging 25 points per 82 games)

He also isn't a stalwart defensively either, granted his numbers and play have improved. Hanifin is a #2-3 D, don't know why people are treating him like a #1.

Guhle + 1st + Byron is a VERY fair trade
I'd agree with that. I like Guhle a lot. We lose the deal if the real Hanifin is the guy we are seeing this year and win it if the real Hanifin is the guy we've seen the rest of his career. There is an element of risk taken on by both sides.

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
People need to stop saying Hanifin is a product of Tanev honestly. At this point, it looks like Hanifins previous years as a #4 were a product of Hamonic being that bad and potentially Ward as well.

Hanifin has been playing as our 1D since the bubble last year when Hamonic opted out, before we even got Tanev. He was leading our D in time on ice, and led our entire team in scoring at even strength.

Ward had a brutal system that actively prevented utilizing our D for offense. Since the day we fired Ward, Hanifin has 8 points in his last 12 games and has finally looked dangerous again.

I’m not saying Tanev doesn’t help get the best out of his partners, but this is way more of a case of getting rid of a useless partner and coach than it is of getting a great partner.

Reactions: Ledge And Dairy

JuJu Mobb

Dec 9, 2009
Just like Mete and Juulsen?

Not a good example.

Juulsen was projected as solid defensive Top 6 D before his career got derailed. Mete was never projected to do much. Had an ok first season then fell of a cliff.

Guhle and Harris have a much higher ceiling, imo. I'm also more confident in the development of our young players moving forward with Bouchard as coach in Laval.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
He's 5 FULL NHL seasons into his career, 24 years old, and has been regressing offensively over the last three years (averaging 25 points per 82 games)

He also isn't a stalwart defensively either, granted his numbers and play have improved. Hanifin is a #2-3 D, don't know why people are treating him like a #1.

Players develop at different rates and in different parts of their game. Jeff Petry was drafted, then spent 4 years in USHL / college before even making it to the pros, then spent another 5 years in EDM (and you could say regressing from his first full year there using points like you did above) before making it to MTL. He then had a 16 (51 games) and 28 point season before breaking out at 29-30 years old in MTL.

I'm not saying Hanifin will continue to improve to that level, but categorically saying what he is, or isn't after 5 seasons at 24 years old probably isn't fair either.

Reactions: Ledge And Dairy

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Idk the bolded seem pretty false to me. To claim Guhle is "much better" than Pelletier seems extremely baseless.

I'd also rather have Lucic over Byron if we're purely talking about the players, Lucic's contract makes Byron way more appealing but I'd probably prefer Lucic as a player at this point.

Byron is hanging onto an NHL career at this point. Lucic adds something to the bottom 6 still. It’s basically a wash on how you want to handle your cap.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I feel this is the classic HF thread.

Acquiring Team (AT): we want this player

Trading team (TT): ok yeah he’s one of the best young players on our team. We don’t want to trade him in the slightest.

AT: ok we will give you a late first and a B prospect

TT: sure you would but that does nothing for us.

AT: actually your player sucks and you are a huge homer if you don’t accept our offer.

never change HF

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
I feel this is the classic HF thread.

Acquiring Team (AT): we want this player

Trading team (TT): ok yeah he’s one of the best young players on our team. We don’t want to trade him in the slightest.

AT: ok we will give you a late first and a B prospect

TT: sure you would but that does nothing for us.

AT: actually your player sucks and you are a huge homer if you don’t accept our offer.

never change HF

I love how in most threads we are garbage, but in trade threads our 1st suddenly becomes "late".

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
That's what you got out of the post?

How do you expect us to offer "fair value" when you have flames fans in this thread claiming hanifin is one of the best D in the league? There's a red wings fan on the first page claiming we would need to offer 1st + Guhle + caufield, which is more outlandish than anything in this thread proposed by a Habs fan.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Flames aren't trading their best defender. Especially at the trade deadline for scraps when he is signed for multiple years.

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
Can easily see where there is no deal to be made here . Hanifin is showing his potential but it’s to risky for Montreal to overpay . With Nashville back in the race I’m sceptical ekholm will be moved . The one target Montreal should turn their sites on is Hampus lindholm. Anaheim is clearly rebuilding and should max out on hampus . He only turned 27 in January so he still fits well with a young Habs core .

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
Hanifin is our best player... (kings ransom). A lot of Flames fans haven’t come around on him yet but he’s a #1D for the next decade.

no Meh prospects or late firsts come close to Hanifin. He’s going to be one of the best D in the league for a long long time. For comparison, I would say Hanifin is quite a bit better than Hamilton was when we traded him...
Yeah....

You must not have that high of ambitions for the next decade

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad