Value of: Hanifin to Habs at the trade deadline

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
What would it cost??

Off course, it depends if the Flames are sellers and where they are heading as a team.

Is Hanifin would be available at all? Would the Flames look for futires or actual roster players??

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Hanifin is such a gifted player but it seems like he doesn’t know how to utilize his skills (or maybe doesn’t want to?).

He’s got size, speed, hands and a good shot but he can’t seem to be able to put it all together. As a Havs fan, I would pass on him and look elsewhere

Reactions: Patagonia

Gritty

Nov 28, 2011
Hanifin has been really good for us this season. He's young, great skater, and is starting to find his offensive game. He's a piece I would rather build with instead of giving away.

I think the Flames will end up re-tooling this offseason and build around Hanifin, Lindholm, Tkachuk, Mangipane, Tanev, Markstrom.

But for the sake of cost: Guhle + 1st 2021 + Byron/Chariot for cap purposes

Gritty

Nov 28, 2011
Hanifin is such a gifted player but it seems like he doesn’t know how to utilize his skills (or maybe doesn’t want to?).

He’s got size, speed, hands and a good shot but he can’t seem to be able to put it all together. As a Havs fan, I would pass on him and look elsewhere

I would somewhat agree with you if this was last year, but he has been doing all those things this season. He has been one of the bright spots this season. He's been very reliable and one of the few bright spots this season.

Reactions: Benstheman

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
Hanifin has been really good for us this season. He's young, great skater, and is starting to find his offensive game. He's a piece I would rather build with instead of giving away.

I think the Flames will end up re-tooling this offseason and build around Hanifin, Lindholm, Tkachuk, Mangipane, Tanev, Markstrom.

Guhle and Caufield won't be move, you can pick any other prospect you'd want tho.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
As an Oiler fan Hanifin isn’t the problem with the Flames . I think the Flames just have a bad mix of players that don’t work together. On paper they are a good team but they aren’t playing up to their potential. The only thing I can think of is there a issue in the dressing room . I know by Lucic was a problem with the Oilers . Rumours have it that he was hard on Puljujarvi. No sure if Lucic is becoming a problem again .

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
My guess is there aren't any other prospects he wants if he's moving Hanifin.

I agree that the Habs shouldn't trade those guys though so a deal seems unlikely if the Flames don't really want to move him.

Yeah that's one of the main question of this thread : Is he available at all??

I think we will see alot of this if he is not available : 1st + top prospect.

For me, Caufield is out of the question. But Guhle is not. He is a pretty good prospect but Habs are loaded on the backend as far as prospects are concern and Hanifin is still very young top 4 D. He can help alot now and will still do for many years.

So Habs go for it now, while Price and Weber are still useful, and then we can build around Hanifin, Romanov and any of the prospect that will come in the next 3-4 years. Struble, Harris, Norlinder. Good chances 1 or 2 of them make it. Romanov being our best chance at 1st D.

So personaly, i'd do 1st + Guhle if we can attach a contract with it like Byron or Chiarot. But if they don't want to take on salary, i would offer 1st + any prospect other than Guhle and Caufield.

Reactions: Boom Boom Apathy

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014

I agree that the Habs shouldn't trade those guys though so a deal seems unlikely if the Flames don't really want to move him.
Guhle has all the tool to become a better Dman than Hanifin. there's no reason for the Habs to make that trade, considering contract status also

Reactions: Boom Boom Apathy

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Give me your scouting reports on Norlinder, Harris, and Struble. Do you know anything about them?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Chiarot (Flames need to be bigger on D) + 2021 first + Strubble or Harris would be my offer

That's not a bad offer IMO. Chiarot gives them a solid option for next year and then the 1st/LD prospect helps them for the future. As a Habs fan, I might consider this. We would have to have confidence that Hanifin is a decent enough upgrade on Chiarot (this year and next) in order for me to pull that trigger though. A 1st and one of our good LD prospect is a serious dig into the pool and what happens if Hanifin is a 20-25 pts guy on D? How much more value is he providing vs Chairot now? Cause that's the point of trading for Hanifin... it's for the now

Last edited:

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Give me your scouting reports on Norlinder, Harris, and Struble. Do you know anything about them?

It doesn't matter if I know about them or not, what matters is if Calgary fans (since this is a proposal being discussed by fans) would want them. I suspect they won't want one of them as a key piece of the deal for Hanifin (thus my post), but if I'm wrong about that, so be it.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
It doesn't matter if I know about them or not, what matters is if Calgary fans (since this is a proposal being discussed by fans) would want them. I suspect they won't want one of them as a key piece of the deal for Hanifin (thus my post), but if I'm wrong about that, so be it.

It matters cause the Habs prospect pool is deep and Norlinder, Harris, and Struble are not some meh prospects. If you had them in your system, you would be pumping them up. I'm sure some Flames fans would know something about them but not must. However, the scouting department would know for sure.

Honestly, I'm not desperate for Hanifin. Decent option for the Habs to consider if the deal was right but no way I'm going deep in the pool for him. Some Habs fans offering one of Norlinder, Harris, and Struble is not some small add

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Hanifin is our best player... (kings ransom). A lot of Flames fans haven’t come around on him yet but he’s a #1D for the next decade.

no Meh prospects or late firsts come close to Hanifin. He’s going to be one of the best D in the league for a long long time. For comparison, I would say Hanifin is quite a bit better than Hamilton was when we traded him...

Last edited:
Reactions: Boomstick

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
It matters cause the Habs prospect pool is deep and Norlinder, Harris, and Struble are not some meh prospects. If you had them in your system, you would be pumping them up. I'm sure some Flames fans would know something about them but not must. However, the scouting department would know for sure.

Meh. Every team has good prospects that they pump up. And I'm sure scouting departments DO know more about prospects than fans do, but this isn't a thread where "scouting departments" are discussing it, it's where FANs are. Like I said, if Calgary fans think that's an ok offer, then I'm wrong and so be it.

Also, re: pumping up players/prospects. A few years ago, you were trying to convince me that "Beaulieu isn't that far off from Slavin" for instance. (you said Hudon+Beaulieu = Slavin and that Galchenyuk>Teravainen).

Proposal: - Carolina-Montréal

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Prospects like Norlinder, Harris and Struble are propsects that most organizations already have at least 2 or 3 of, they're not valuable trade chips to get someone of Hanifin's caliber. You're not going to get someone like Hanifin if you're offering a 1st and a B level prospect for him.

That's not even what Toronto paid for Muzzin, who was a less valuable player than Hanifin currently is.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
As an Oiler fan Hanifin isn’t the problem with the Flames . I think the Flames just have a bad mix of players that don’t work together. On paper they are a good team but they aren’t playing up to their potential. The only thing I can think of is there a issue in the dressing room . I know by Lucic was a problem with the Oilers . Rumours have it that he was hard on Puljujarvi. No sure if Lucic is becoming a problem again .

Lucic is not the problem

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
There are plenty of players to trade before hanifin if they want to rebuild.

and if you want to rebuild, hanifin is a good piece to work with, not too many better 24 yrs old dmen

so if the Habs want him, they have to give up comparable young players not picks and magic beans

Reactions: Benstheman

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida

Detroit would offer up Mantha for Hanifin and Flames fans say Mantha isn't enough, And Mantha is > Guhle+Montreal's 2021 1st round pick+Byron/Chariot. Noway Treliving would accept that offer. Flames wants a Top 6 RHS RW that's probably what they would want for Hanifin.

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
Detroit would offer up Mantha for Hanifin and Flames fans say Mantha isn't enough, And Mantha is > Guhle+Montreal's 2021 1st round pick+Byron/Chariot. Noway Treliving would accept that offer. Flames wants a Top 6 RHS RW that's probably what they would want for Hanifin.

Mantha isn't worth more than a 1st rd pick and a future top3 dman.

Lazy ass wingers who only play when they want aren't worth that much.

Hell, I wouldn't even trade Guhle alone for Mantha at this point

Reactions: Prairie Habs

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
but you see, it does... you have no clue of their scouting reports and this change the value. You make zero sense

My very specific comment was: "My guess is there aren't any other prospects he wants if he's moving Hanifin.

I agree that the Habs shouldn't trade those guys though so a deal seems unlikely if the Flames don't really want to move him."

So what I'm saying, is I don't think Calgary FANS would accept a mid-late round 1st pick and a "b level"prospect for Hanifin. I don't need a detailed scouting report on each player for me to make that prediction. Even your own HABS fans (merss) called them "B-level" prospects. If Calgary fans say they would accept that deal, then fine, I'm wrong and so be it.

The "give me a scouting" report statements on HF are always hilarious. No HF posters have "scouting reports" on every b-level prospect in the NHL for every team so it's silly to make that a requirement to weigh in on trades. Every team's fans are also way higher on their prospects than they are on other teams prospects. It's natural.

Reactions: Nightrain

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Mantha isn't worth more than a 1st rd pick and a future top3 dman.

Lazy ass wingers who only play when they want aren't worth that much.

Hell, I wouldn't even trade Guhle alone for Mantha at this point
I'd hardly call Guhle a future top3 Dman, Bottom line is Guhle+Montreal's 2021 1st round pick+Byron/Chariot are nowhere near enough for Noah Hanifin without Caufiled added to the deal Brad says No.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad