Value of: Hanifin to Habs at the trade deadline

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
Hanifin has been much better this year than in year's past. Prior to this year, he was a 3rd pairing value. Tanev has been huge in making Hanifin look like a much better dman than he actually is.

If you set a value on him as anything more than a average 2nd pairing dman, you will be disappointed.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Hanifin has been much better this year than in year's past. Prior to this year, he was a 3rd pairing value. Tanev has been huge in making Hanifin look like a much better dman than he actually is.

If you set a value on him as anything more than a average 2nd pairing dman, you will be disappointed.

He's also just 24, so it depends how he keeps progressing.

I get the appeal of Hanifin for Habs fans (even though I suspect Habs management doesn't have as much desire to add a puck mover), but I doubt Montreal would pay the prices Calgary fans are setting (and I wouldn't either). There are probably guys out there that are better trade fits for Montreal.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Struble, Brook, Guhle, Norlinder, Juulsen. How have the Habs been blessed with so many future 1D (watch Kulak be the best of the bunch)? I am shook.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA

Yeah no. Hanifin was never valued as a “3rd pairing defender”. And he is worth more than what you say he is. But thanks for the expertise.

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
He's also just 24, so it depends how he keeps progressing.

I get the appeal of Hanifin for Habs fans (even though I suspect Habs management doesn't have as much desire to add a puck mover), but I doubt Montreal would pay the prices Calgary fans are setting (and I wouldn't either). There are probably guys out there that are better trade fits for Montreal.

I've watched Hanifin a lot since he moved to Calgary and I just don't see Hanifin being anything better than a 2nd pairing guy... which is nothing to scoff at but he should never be on your top pairing and he should not be valued as such. I guess he could play top pairing with Victor Hedman.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I've watched Hanifin a lot since he moved to Calgary and I just don't see Hanifin being anything better than a 2nd pairing guy... which is nothing to scoff at but he should never be on your top pairing and he should not be valued as such. I guess he could play top pairing with Victor Hedman.

he's on the top pair this year and has an expected goals for of almost 60% on a team that creates no offense... Not to mention he's 6'5 and a top 5 skater in the game. He is legitimately the best asset we have at this point. I trade Tkachuk and Gaudreau before I trade Hanifin.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
he's on the top pair this year and has an expected goals for of almost 60% on a team that creates no offense... Not to mention he's 6'5 and a top 5 skater in the game. He is legitimately the best asset we have at this point. I trade Tkachuk and Gaudreau before I trade Hanifin.

He's 6'3 and even though it's a subjective statement, I can't see any way he's a top 5 skater in the game, no matter how you measure it. He's definitely a very good skater though, but top 5 is a big stretch.

EDIT: I agree with the rest (although Tkachuk vs. Hanifin in terms of who you'd trade first I would leave up to Calgary fans).

Ledge And Dairy

Ive been a defender of Hanifin since he was brpught in but no way I trade Tkachuk before him.

As for his game a overall career progression, it reminds me of Slavin and Ekblad. He may never be a bona fide #1 but i think he can be a solif #2 at this point

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Ive been a defender of Hanifin since he was brpught in but no way I trade Tkachuk before him.

As for his game a overall career progression, it reminds me of Slavin and Ekblad. He may never be a bona fide #1 but i think he can be a solif #2 at this point

I'm not sure I completely agree with that for few reasons (provided I understand the comparison you are making):

1) Slavin has been a top pairing defensemen for a number of years on the NHL. Granted, he came to the NHL at a later age than Hanifin, but Slavin was playing as a #1 D / on top pairing at the age of 22 years old and performing extremely well at it. If he was in a bigger market, there would be way more hype.
2) Slavin doesn't ever need a "stable partner". He IS the stable partner. The reason Hamilton has so much success at Carolina is because he has Slavin as his partner so Dougie can take more chances and Slavin can cover up for him.
3) Hanifin has slightly better physical tools than Slavin, but Slavin's hockey sense, reads and quick reactions are what sets him apart from Hanifin. It was this way when Slavin stepped on the NHL ice at 21 years old and consistently been this way.

If you asked Canes fans today, if you could keep 1, do you keep Hamilton or Slavin, the answer would overwhelmingly be Slavin. Yeah, I get that he doesn't get PP time like Dougie, and isn't as offensive so many people call him a #2, but IMO he's more valuable and I'd have no issue if he was our #1.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
He's 6'3 and even though it's a subjective statement, I can't see any way he's a top 5 skater in the game, no matter how you measure it. He's definitely a very good skater though, but top 5 is a big stretch.

EDIT: I agree with the rest (although Tkachuk vs. Hanifin in terms of who you'd trade first I would leave up to Calgary fans).

I mean in terms of straight line speed I would agree, there are faster D out there like Makar. However, in terms of his lateral agility and backwards skating Noah Hanifin is a human instructional video. The only D I can think of better at this currently is Heiskanen (although I am sure there are a few others).

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010

Not sure I agree, but Montreal really just needs someone that can do what Hanifin is literally doing at a very high level right now - a LHD to play puck mover and facilitator next to a shutdown D-man. Which is why a Habs fan started this thread.

Again, I doubt Bergevin or Montreal actually agree, or they'd have made any effort address that issue in at least one of the last 4 seasons and there are probably better fits, but Hanifin-Tanev has been a real bright spot for Calgary.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
I mean in terms of straight line speed I would agree, there are faster D out there like Makar. However, in terms of his lateral agility and backwards skating Noah Hanifin is a human instructional video. The only D I can think of better at this currently is Heiskanen.

That's fair. His lateral movement and backwards skating is great. Not sure if he's best or near the best, but I won't disagree with that as it's an impossible thing to judge. His initial step quickness and straight line speed is good, but not top notch though. That's why I say "subjective" as it all depends what criteria someone uses.

There are a lot of really good skating defensemen though. Leddy is a phenomenal skater, even today. Guys like Seth Jones, McAvoy, Josi etc... are excellent skaters as well. Makar is both fast, and has great edgework and lateral movement. Hughes also is quick with good lateral movement. Hanifin is very good but hard to judge all these guys (and others) definitively.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
That's fair. His lateral movement and backwards skating is great. Not sure if he's best or near the best, but I won't disagree with that as it's an impossible thing to judge. His initial step quickness and straight line speed is good, but not top notch though. That's why I say "subjective" as it all depends what criteria someone uses.

There are a lot of really good skating defensemen though. Leddy is a phenomenal skater, even today. Guys like Seth Jones, McAvoy, Josi etc... are excellent skaters as well. Makar is both fast, and has great edgework and lateral movement. Hughes also is quick with good lateral movement. Hanifin is very good but hard to judge all these guys (and others) definitively.

Yes Josi and Jones are definitely up there. TJ Brodie as well although this may have fallen off a tiny bit the last year or so.

Ledge And Dairy

I mean in terms of straight line speed I would agree, there are faster D out there like Makar. However, in terms of his lateral agility and backwards skating Noah Hanifin is a human instructional video. The only D I can think of better at this currently is Heiskanen (although I am sure there are a few others).
I would say Sergachev is arguably of the smoothest skating dmen league-wide.

Ledge And Dairy

I'm not sure I completely agree with that for few reasons (provided I understand the comparison you are making):

1) Slavin has been a top pairing defensemen for a number of years on the NHL. Granted, he came to the NHL at a later age than Hanifin, but Slavin was playing as a #1 D / on top pairing at the age of 22 years old and performing extremely well at it. If he was in a bigger market, there would be way more hype.
2) Slavin doesn't ever need a "stable partner". He IS the stable partner. The reason Hamilton has so much success at Carolina is because he has Slavin as his partner so Dougie can take more chances and Slavin can cover up for him.
3) Hanifin has slightly better physical tools than Slavin, but Slavin's hockey sense, reads and quick reactions are what sets him apart from Hanifin. It was this way when Slavin stepped on the NHL ice at 21 years old and consistently been this way.

If you asked Canes fans today, if you could keep 1, do you keep Hamilton or Slavin, the answer would overwhelmingly be Slavin. Yeah, I get that he doesn't get PP time like Dougie, and isn't as offensive so many people call him a #2, but IMO he's more valuable and I'd have no issue if he was our #1.
I think you are misinterpreting what I said. I was describing Hanifin's game and progression. Slavin is better and so is Ekblad for that matter, both are considered #1's. I said Hanifin is unlikely to reach that ceiling but can probably be a solid #2.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
I think you are misinterpreting what I said. I was describing Hanifin's game and progression. Slavin is better and so is Ekblad for that matter, both are considered #1's. I said Hanifin is unlikely to reach that ceiling but can probably be a solid #2.

Ah, yes, I did misunderstand.

alasania94

Sep 28, 2017
Hanifin is our best player... (kings ransom). A lot of Flames fans haven’t come around on him yet but he’s a #1D for the next decade.

no Meh prospects or late firsts come close to Hanifin. He’s going to be one of the best D in the league for a long long time. For comparison, I would say Hanifin is quite a bit better than Hamilton was when we traded him...
He just isn't a number #1 D though... if he is ur in a lot of trouble

Larry Hanson

Aug 1, 2020
Being paired with Tanev has certainly helped him but the bigger factor has been the removal of Hamonic. Those 2 just didn't mesh together.

alasania94

Sep 28, 2017
He's 5 FULL NHL seasons into his career, 24 years old, and has been regressing offensively over the last three years (averaging 25 points per 82 games)

He also isn't a stalwart defensively either, granted his numbers and play have improved. Hanifin is a #2-3 D, don't know why people are treating him like a #1.

Guhle + 1st + Byron is a VERY fair trade

Ledge And Dairy

He's 5 FULL NHL seasons into his career, 24 years old, and has been regressing offensively over the last three years (averaging 25 points per 82 games)

He also isn't a stalwart defensively either, granted his numbers and play have improved. Hanifin is a #2-3 D, don't know why people are treating him like a #1.

Guhle + 1st + Byron is a VERY fair trade
It may be a "very fair trade" nut Flames decline. He's part of our core even if we decide to retool. Zero reason to move him for anything less than an overpayment

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Prior to this season I'd actually agree with you. I saw him as a kind of "meh" 2nd pairing defenseman with physical tools. Of course, I saw Nurse the same way prior to this year. Both players have taken big steps this year. Hanifin played really well with Anderson when he was out with him too. I guess it remains to be seen whether or not this season is a blip for Hanifin or a trend, but to say it's only because of Tanev is wrong.

Reactions: Nightrain

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad