Player Discussion Hampus Lindholm III - the Return/Revenge of the Swede?

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
The difference, to me, between Suter and Lindholm is that Suter is the quarterback out there. Lindholm is not. It isn't as simple as "Lindholm is very good defensively, so with more points he'll be Suter-like."

When I watched Suter play, I saw a player who collects the puck, slows things down, and just starts directing the play. Lindholm doesn't do that. This is where the analytics movement completely falls on its ass. Hampus does a lot of things very well, but he isn't the guy who collects the puck and starts directing his troops. Not yet, at any rate. The only defensemen that we have, who I feel, does that is Fowler, and he doesn't do it consistently enough to be "that guy" either.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Getzlaf for Norris? :amazed:

I mean, kind of.

If we're talking about a few votes, I think good statistics are enough. If we're talking about a legitimate Norris candidate, I think it takes a level of play and impact that Lindholm simply hasn't shown.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
I mean, kind of.

If we're talking about a few votes, I think good statistics are enough. If we're talking about a legitimate Norris candidate, I think it takes a level of play and impact that Lindholm simply hasn't shown.

I was just having fun with Getzlaf's versatility in being both a Vezina and Norris candidate. ;)

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
The difference, to me, between Suter and Lindholm is that Suter is the quarterback out there. Lindholm is not. It isn't as simple as "Lindholm is very good defensively, so with more points he'll be Suter-like."

When I watched Suter play, I saw a player who collects the puck, slows things down, and just starts directing the play. Lindholm doesn't do that. This is where the analytics movement completely falls on its ass. Hampus does a lot of things very well, but he isn't the guy who collects the puck and starts directing his troops. Not yet, at any rate. The only defensemen that we have, who I feel, does that is Fowler, and he doesn't do it consistently enough to be "that guy" either.

Yeah but thats the difference between the two. I'm saying if Lindholm develops those kind of traits his offence will come and he will be in that conversation. He's already among the leagues best defensively. He doesn't play the most minutes on this team but he is matched up against the oppositions best players more than any other Dman we have and he comes out on the better end of those matchups more often than not. He's consistently our best PKer. The only thing that needs to come for him to be in the conversation for the leagues best is production.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/modern-day-defencemans-role-neutral-zone-play-driver/

Screen-Shot-2017-06-30-at-11.42.27-AM.png

Even though more people have been slowly experiencing their come to Jesus moment about how ridiculously good Hampus Lindholm really is, when you look at how Norris Trophy votes are being doled out it’s clear that perception still hasn’t caught up to reality.

It’ll be tough for him to get the type of national love he deserves registering only modest point totals in Anaheim, but he’s turned the act of using angles to beat forwards to the spot they’re trying to get to into a science. In fact, no one was a stingier defender of their own blue line than Lindholm during the 2017 post-season: [...]

The way Lindholm dissects opposing attackers is a true joy to watch and makes him stand out from the pack. He uses his combination of skating ability, smarts, and occasionally well-placed brute force to apply pressure where it’s needed so that he can impose his will on whatever is happening on the ice.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006

Being the massive Lindholm fan I am beat you to it haha. Although I didn't provide the informative quotes.

Edit: I'm on a phone right now but below are links to the tweets that give some data of the top guys at getting puck out of zone and top guys at defending through neutral zone:

https://twitter.com/dimfilipovic/status/880844521268957184

https://twitter.com/dimfilipovic/status/880841171135741952

We had 6 guys in the list of the top at getting it out of zone with possession (Fowler, Lindholm, Vatanen, Montour, Theodore and surprisingly Manson. Holzer was the worst at getting the puck out with possession and Bieksa was also bad.

On the flip side Lindholm was best in league at defending through NZ and denying attacker entering zone and was our line appearance on best list. On the worst list Bieksa, Theodore, Montour and Fowler made appearances.

Last edited:

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Damn, I was quickly skimming through the last page but missed it. :surrender

Haha that's because I was busy ranting about how he could get Norris attention if he ups his offensive numbers. That's my fault.

I just added to my post above the tweets with some actual data and not a hard to read graph of the top and bottom guys in each field.

The Noot

scaldin ur d00dz
Apr 12, 2012
Zurich
Not done whining, I noticed that "he who shall not be named" got $300K more AAV than Lindholm from next season and onward.

Kinda conflicted about this. On one hand it's pissing me off that he managed to fraud himself to that paycheck, on the other hand I'm happy it's not the Ducks who are paying him this amount.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
That looks like physical therapy tape running down his quad/knee. What's with that?

There was another pic where he had some kind of bandage on his knee. I'm guessing he was nursing multiple injuries by the time the playoffs rolled around?

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
It's kinesio tape, athletes at all levels use it. Doesn't necessarily mean it's an injury.
"Kinesio Tape alleviates discomfort and facilitates lymphatic drainage by microscopically lifting the skin. This lifting affect forms convolutions in the skin thus increasing interstitial space and allowing for a decrease in inflammation, reducing pressure while enabling a more effective flow of blood and lymphatic fluid in and out of the target area."

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
There was another pic where he had some kind of bandage on his knee. I'm guessing he was nursing multiple injuries by the time the playoffs rolled around?

That wouldn't surprise me, especially judging by the amount of tape on the knee on the instagram video.

It's kinesio tape, athletes at all levels use it. Doesn't necessarily mean it's an injury.
"Kinesio Tape alleviates discomfort and facilitates lymphatic drainage by microscopically lifting the skin. This lifting affect forms convolutions in the skin thus increasing interstitial space and allowing for a decrease in inflammation, reducing pressure while enabling a more effective flow of blood and lymphatic fluid in and out of the target area."

True, but it generally is applied to areas of the body to facilitate healing. Not something used in everyday training.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad