Player Discussion Hampus Lindholm III - the Return/Revenge of the Swede?

Magnus the Duck

Nov 7, 2014
Sweden
If Lindholm were the player you were describing, and he drove the play with the puck and made things happen at the other end, his point totals would show it.

Your analysis just boils down to "I see that he didn't score many points on this sheet, therefore the other stats are wrong".

DucksRoll

May 9, 2015
Sojourn - have you ever actually looked into analytics? Or does it just not agree with your amazing eyes so you discount the actual data? Apologies if I find it difficult to take seriously the opinion of a fan who thinks the flashy player is better than the guy that all numbers other than points say is one of the best in the league.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
The analytics tell you that Lindholm is great at suppressing shots for the other team.

I don't know where the idea that the analytics mean he should be scoring more points is coming from. That's not what they're pointing to

Right now he's elite defensively and maybe the offense will come more someday like it has for Hedman

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Sojourn - have you ever actually looked into analytics? Or does it just not agree with your amazing eyes so you discount the actual data? Apologies if I find it difficult to take seriously the opinion of a fan who thinks the flashy player is better than the guy that all numbers other than points say is one of the best in the league.

Thoroughly. Have you?

What part of my description of Lindholm do you disagree with?

As for the bolded, I never said that. I never even implied it.

The analytics tell you that Lindholm is great at suppressing shots for the other team.

I don't know where the idea that the analytics mean he should be scoring more points is coming from. That's not what they're pointing to

Right now he's elite defensively and maybe the offense will come more someday like it has for Hedman

You're right, which is why I disagreed with the statement:

That he takes the puck in the defensive zone and drives it up and make things happen in the other end.

The evidence doesn't support that.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Yeah, I was agreeing with you

I like the Hedman comparison too. Hedman is a 6'6" beast who just put up 70 points, so maybe that's not entirely realistic(that would be ****ing awesome though), but I think the way he grew into his offensive game is comparable.

Hedman wasn't exactly lighting it up early in his career, but then it started to come together for him. I think we've seen some of that potential in Lindholm's game. He's been a beast in some games. If he can be that guy more consistently, we could be talking about an elite #1 guy. He's still a great defenseman, but I think he's shown signs he can be that much better.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
I like the Hedman comparison too. Hedman is a 6'6" beast who just put up 70 points, so maybe that's not entirely realistic(that would be ****ing awesome though), but I think the way he grew into his offensive game is comparable.

Hedman wasn't exactly lighting it up early in his career, but then it started to come together for him. I think we've seen some of that potential in Lindholm's game. He's been a beast in some games. If he can be that guy more consistently, we could be talking about an elite #1 guy. He's still a great defenseman, but I think he's shown signs he can be that much better.

Yeah, some interesting stuff to think about here

Hedman's first 4 years in the league:
19 YO: 20 points in 74 games
20 YO: 26 points in 79 games
21 YO: 23 points in 61 games
22 YO: 20 points in 44 games

Lindholm's first 4 years in the league:
19 YO: 30 points in 78 games
20 YO: 34 points in 78 games
21 YO: 28 points in 80 games
22 YO; 20 points in 66 games

Hedman definitely showed more year by year progression offensively but his big breakout didn't come until year 5 where he posted 55 points in 75 games

Also, in Hedman's first 4 years in the league he scored a total of 10 points on the power play. year 5 he scored 14 power play points. Last year 33 on the PP.

Now that the wrist is hopefully healed it's time for RC to start using Lindholm on the PP and not putting Bieksa and Getzlaf on the point in favor of him

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
I like Getzlaf better on the half wall, where he can take a couple of steps to the middle and rip it, and still feed out to the points.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai

"all the numbers say"

Kariya 9

Feb 28, 2014
I like Getzlaf better on the half wall, where he can take a couple of steps to the middle and rip it, and still feed out to the points.

He seems to only want to shoot from the point though. We may want to leave him there.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Getzlaf on the point certainly makes for a more exciting game. Whether it's by unleashing some rockets from the point or getting beat like a rented mule trying to get back on an odd man break going the other way. I'd really prefer him on the half wall. No reason he can't skate towards the center of the ice and unleash a rocket now and then.

Put me in the camp that wants to see Magnus given some PP responsibilities. Especially over Bieksa.

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
Getzlaf on the point certainly makes for a more exciting game. Whether it's by unleashing some rockets from the point or getting beat like a rented mule trying to get back on an odd man break going the other way. I'd really prefer him on the half wall. No reason he can't skate towards the center of the ice and unleash a rocket now and then.

Put me in the camp that wants to see Magnus given some PP responsibilities. Especially over Bieksa.

I'd assume Fowler, Vatanen, Montour, and probably a forward will be on the point during PPs this year. Lindholm might be given an opportunity with Sami out.

Kariya 9

Feb 28, 2014
I'd assume Fowler, Vatanen, Montour, and probably a forward will be on the point during PPs this year. Lindholm might be given an opportunity with Sami out.

Getzlaf-Rakell-Eaves
Fowler-Vatenen

Perry-Kesler-Silfverberg
Lindholm-Montour

OR

Silfverberg-Rakell-Eaves
Getzlaf-Fowler

Ritchie-Kesler-Perry
Vatanen-Montour

Geez, we have too many right handers.

Magnus the Duck

Nov 7, 2014
Sweden
Apparently he got his looks from his mom, they look alike.

And he posted another picture from training yesterday with the team saying "Nice to be out skating with the team again #gettingcloser"

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Lindholm is having his highest goal per game rate in his career this season, even before tonights game he was at 0.14 goals per game & now it'll go up a bit. 2 years ago his goals per game was 0.13 Hampus Lindholm Stats | Hockey-Reference.com
He also will move to 11 points in 23 games nearly half a point a game, he could actually finish with like 12 goals in like 62 games or so & end up leading all Ducks D-men in goals. Montour has really slowed down & has 6 goals in 33 games vs Lindholm having 6 goals in 23 games.

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
I'm still a huge proponent of a Magnus-Monty pairing. The hatty for Hampus is so cool.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Lindholm has done 16 takeaways in 23 games, last year he had done 18 in 66 games.
Lindholm's hits per game is now up to 1.7, each year its gone up (last year it was 1.5).
His takeaways to giveaways ratio is 0.6, his best ratio since his rookie year, last year it was 0.3

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad